Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: problems learning the SA part of DA/SA

We are diminished
    Novel!

[clears leather, notes orange paint is wearing ragged on LWC's front sight, note to self, reholsters]
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    All, thanks for the comments.

It is interesting that so much of DA/SA training seems to be focused on the DA or transition part. Maybe if I was shooting a 1911 recently, the SA part might be easier. The SA is definitely different than the feel of the Glock trigger.

My finger is in the same place for DA and SA, so that isn't a factor. I had a pretty good session yesterday, focusing on the SA with 25 yard Bill drills, and similar demanding shots, so perhaps it is just the normal learning curve combined with "the SA must be so easy to shoot it doesn't require any special technique mentality I approached the SA with."

I also find it interesting that my Sig 226 has a very glass rod 1911-ish SA, and the Beretta has some roll to start, which feels more familiar to me.

I could probably have asked my question as, how do 1911 shooters learn to shoot the trigger to its potential without taking all day, or crushing the trigger going too fast? TLG, and other 1911 shooters, beyond taking up the slack, do you take up none/any/much of the weight of the trigger as you are transitioning to the next target?

I find the transition from the older non srt sig triggers a lot easier since the SA shot feels more like a glock since your rolling through it more. The srt is so short I actually have been suffering with trigger freeze using it but the DA pull is so sweet

Going from stock glock triggers to nice SA trigger on a DA/SA gun took a bit of getting used too - If you have the ammo budget, bill drills and dry-fire bill drills really help here.

The focus on "faster" let's your finger kinda get acclimated to not having to move so much.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    TLG, and other 1911 shooters...
    This still tickles me way more than it should.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    This is just a random suggestion, a point of learning that I worked with at one time (and again recently actually.) So take it as a possible Trick Of The Day, try it and continue it or discard it or whatever.

A dry fire drill I used to do to work on trigger control was to:

Dry fire a shot at a target, and keep the trigger held to the rear.

Cycle the slide enough to reset the (Glock) trigger mech, but still holding the trigger to the rear.

Reassume my two handed grip, still holding the trigger to the rear.

Reset and press the trigger as quickly as I could, and with as little gun movement as I could. This part is the actual drill, the rest is just preparatory.

In live fire it's easier since it feels to me like there is plenty of time to reset during the gun's movement in recoil, whereas in the dry drill it feels like the gun is waiting for my dry shot the whole time.

Don't know if this will help, but I do think that drill helps me with trigger control in general, and specifically in dealing with the resetting characteristics of the trigger. And in dry fire, the sights are just sitting there staring you in the face telling you their story so it's easy to hear (well, see.)
    Thanks for posting, I am going to work on this as part of my dry fire routine.

On a side note, as far as the Sig Sauer training side of the house goes, currently the SAO pistols are pretty much the standard.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    On a side note, as far as the Sig Sauer training side of the house goes, currently the SAO pistols are pretty much the standard.
    Just to be clear, you're saying the SIG Academy instructors are running SAO guns in classes?

Because if so, that's just sad. Your company produces one of the best DA/SA guns on the market and the vast majority of your customers (especially institutional customers) run either DA/SA or DAO (DAK) guns. Showing up and shooting something that is effectively a whole different gun makes no sense and certainly does nothing to support the company's marketing efforts. Might as well teach with a Glock...

I just did their 5day Carbine Instructor Course and all 3 instructors who were teaching or helping out were all carrying P226 SAO guns. Even went as far as recommending having a duty pistol with only one trigger pull like your rifle.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by hvd229 View Post
    I just did their 5day Carbine Instructor Course and all 3 instructors who were teaching or helping out were all carrying P226 SAO guns. Even went as far as recommending having a duty pistol with only one trigger pull like your rifle.

User Tag List