Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why 38 Super? If 9mm x 21 and 9mm x23 Winchester already pre-existed?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    There is no SAAMI spec for 9mm +P+. It's purely a marketing/CYA designation from ammunition manufacturers. (And not all ammo thus marked exceeds SAAMI specs for 9mm +P. Go figure.)
    Is there SAAMI specs for the 38spl +P+. I haven't seen a reloading manual for the +P+ like the 110 T load.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I remember those - I hate RO'ing those shooters and the 9x25 was extremely hard on steel targets.
    I have wondered if a GL20 with a 6" barrel in 9x25 Dillon with something like a solid copper JHP could be a game changer for anti criminal work. Can you get enough velocity to get rifle type wounds, tear cavity vs stretch cavity?
    I have read claims of 125 gr @ 1700-1800 fps but do not know the reality.

Any insight to the .356TSW? TSW stands for "Team Smith&Wesson"?

.356 TSW is 9x21.5 which comes out to the maximum OAL that the S&W 9mm magazine and action will accommodate.
    Loaded to Major for stoutly constructed PC match guns, it was their attempt to break into the IPSC market. It did not last.

The semirimmed .38 Auto/.38 Super does fine in Colt type single stack magazines. True rimless rounds do better in double column magazines now required to be competitive in USPSA. The first new attempt at that, apart from overloaded 9x21 and 9mm Largo, was the 9x23 CP Elite. CP had brass made up and offered two chamber reamers; one for a close fit chamber in a new barrel, the other to open up a Super chamber for the tapered case.

Colt picked up on the idea - there are all sorts of stories about legal actions between CP, Colt, and Winchester - and got Winchester to produce the ammo in rifle temper brass because Colt was not willing to incorporate an integral ramp barrel to increase case wall support. Colt did their usual half ass job and offered the caliber only in standard guns with no approach to the competitive arena. They are good guns, powerful and accurate, but they were not going to compete well against the installed base of .45s, .38s, and 9mms. Some of them got Colt conversion kit .38 barrels and magazines (no discernible difference in magazines except marking) and a whole lot of them got 9mm P barrels for cheap ammo.

Starline brought out the 9mm Super Comp with the same external dimensions, but different volume and regular pistol brass hardness. I would not try to equal 9x23 Win ballistics in the Colt gun, although it is fine for Major in a strong racegun. If you want a straight rimless case for your Super barrel in double column gun, they also make .38 Super Comp which is the same as .38 Super except rimless. There is also the .38 TJ, rimless with a huge extractor groove so it will resize all down the case wall.

I once read that the original +P+ designation was used on government agency orders of ammunition, overloaded to the maximum the particular agency's guns would handle and with a liability waiver if it turned out they couldn't. Also things like "Oh, no, we don't shoot overkill .357 Magnum, our Magnum revolvers are loaded with .38 Special."
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Is there SAAMI specs for the 38spl +P+. I haven't seen a reloading manual for the +P+ like the 110 T load.
    No, the use of the symbol "+P+" means that the pressure is beyond all SAAMI specs & you are on your own as to it's safety. The origin of +P+ goes back to the 38 Spl 110 gr JHP Treasury Dept load. It was originally intended to only be used in 357 Magnum revolvers without their administrators having to deal with any public backlash over using those inhumane Magnum loads on the unsuspecting taxpayers. Agencys had to sign waivers in order to purchase it. Some agencies didn't pay any attention to those waivers & stuck those flamethrowers into every J frame & D frame in the inventory and paid the price in stupendeously accelerated wear & frame stretching.
    So, no Rich, you're not going to find +P+ loads in a public source reloading manual, cause we have these things called lawyers...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The 9x23 is an evolution of the Super. The Super predates both of those other rounds, and itself came from the .38acp. It was basically what was needed to have a .38cal semi auto pistol.

Note that the .38acp predates even the 9mm Luger, and was used in guns like this; http://www.icollector.com/Colt-Milit...e-191_i9301841

Paging Tam for a history lesson..................
    1902 Military in .38 ACP:

This one has been in the family for a very long time, and has some history.

Ooh, ooh, TBO.
    Prices of the "parallel ruler" Colts have always stayed just ahead of my budget for Kewl Factor.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Name:  colt1902.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  90.3 KB

Yours is prettier.

BTW, Precision Cartridge sells factory new ammo.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

More ammo to choose from if needed ...
    https://www.buffaloarms.com/38-auto-...f-50-amo38auto

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Name:  colt1902.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  90.3 KB

Yours is prettier.

BTW, Precision Cartridge sells factory new ammo.

Yours is cool as heck too!

Thanks for the ammo link, I will keep that in mind. Fortunately .38 Super brass is readily available, and if I ever chose to handload for it, I would not have to worry about mixing up true, much higher pressure Super loads, since I don't own a Super.

My particular gun was used by a now deceased family member, some time after WW-II, to settle things with a couple of men who did some bad things to a still living relative, when she was a little girl. Once she passes, I will be able to tell the story, but not until then. The gun was put away for a very long time, and I recall seeing it in my dad's safe when I was young. He did not seem to want to talk about it. My grandmother had mentioned some things about some "troubles", and eventually I figured it out, and confirmed it. With that kind of history, I figured I had better take good care of it, for future generations.

User Tag List