Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why 38 Super? If 9mm x 21 and 9mm x23 Winchester already pre-existed?

This week's edition of Michael Bane's Podcast has a long segment on the 9x23 that covers everything you want to know: http://www.downrange.tv/blog/down-ra...chester/26241/

FWIW, the reports of the 9x23's performance are quite impressive.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Best info I have on the .38acp, from which the Super came, is that it dates into the 1890s
    My 1902 is chambered in .38 ACP. Fortunately some companies make properly-headstamped new ammo. I don't want to get that stuff mixed up with Bobbi's .38 Super fodder.

Interesting trivia fact: ALL .38 Super ammo is +P, since the SAAMI definition of "+P" is a higher pressure cartridge that is dimensionally identical to another extant chambering.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Wasn't part of the reason that they wanted a long cartridge (.45 ACP length) to ensure feed reliability in the already developed colt .45 ACP pistols?

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    Wasn't part of the reason that they wanted a long cartridge (.45 ACP length) to ensure feed reliability in the already developed colt .45 ACP pistols?
    The .38acp came before the .45acp

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I've never read that as an argument for 9x21's creation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9721mm

I'm not saying Wikepedia is an authority on gun related items, but this jives with all of my other data-points.
    Yup, mea maxima culpa, written in a weak moment. X21 got what legs it used to have in the states for the reason I describe, I have heard, though I can't substantiate that. Ditto 356 TSW I dimly recall. Or it's all a groovy-bear / KriegerCleanse driven hallucination.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I have enjoyed this thread on the 9mm/.38 auto family. Where does the .356TSW fit in?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    My 1902 is chambered in .38 ACP. Fortunately some companies make properly-headstamped new ammo. I don't want to get that stuff mixed up with Bobbi's .38 Super fodder.

Interesting trivia fact: ALL .38 Super ammo is +P, since the SAAMI definition of "+P" is a higher pressure cartridge that is dimensionally identical to another extant chambering.

Wouldnt the existence of 9mm Glisenti therefore make all 9x19 ammo +P. And as a result 9mm +P would be +P+ . 9mm +P+ would therefore be 9mm turbo OMG!!!!

Or maybe im being absurd on the last one
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Wouldnt the existence of 9mm Glisenti therefore make all 9x19 ammo +P. And as a result 9mm +P would be +P+ . 9mm +P+ would therefore be 9mm turbo OMG!!!!

Or maybe im being absurd on the last one
    There is no SAAMI spec for 9mm +P+. It's purely a marketing/CYA designation from ammunition manufacturers. (And not all ammo thus marked exceeds SAAMI specs for 9mm +P. Go figure.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    There is no SAAMI spec for 9mm +P+. It's purely a marketing/CYA designation from ammunition manufacturers. (And not all ammo thus marked exceeds SAAMI specs for 9mm +P. Go figure.)
    I am aware of that I was aiming more at the 9x19 Glisenti vs 9x19 Luger/Parabellum/.NATO etc dimensional similarities. The rest was an (obviously a poorly made) attempt at comedy.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I am aware of that I was aiming more at the 9x19 Glisenti vs 9x19 Luger/Parabellum/.NATO etc dimensional similarities. The rest was an (obviously a poorly made) attempt at comedy.
    Y'know, I don't know if there's a SAAMI spec for the Glisenti round or not? You've tickled my gun nerd now.

I don't know that the ammunition's ever been sold commercially in this country except for small runs of Fiocchi years ago.

User Tag List