Page 63 of 678 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163563 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    If any of you think your thumb is in jeopardy of being damaged doing what I demonstrated in the video, I'd humbly suggest that you either do not understand what I'm doing or how the 1301 action works or possibly both.

ETA: Which likely indicates a failure on my part to communicate what I'm doing and/or how it works.
    I don't absolutely know whether taking the lure out of a pike's mouth with your fingers results in hazard, but I put this ejection port in a collection of places, like a pike's mouth, that I won't stick my fingers.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

You are smarter than me, so I just default to LCD practices on where I stick my fingers.

If any of you think your thumb is in jeopardy of being damaged doing what I demonstrated in the video, I'd humbly suggest that you either do not understand what I'm doing or how the 1301 action works or possibly both.
    My excuse is that I've never handled a 1301, and the fist gun I bought was an M1 Garand.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Went back and watched the gif again. Looks like removing your thumb is what releases the bolt. Unlike a Garand, where your thumb is (potentially) inside the action when your hand releases the bolt. Got it.

"1301 thumb" still has a ring to it, though.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I'm in a pissy mood because of other things.

If what I demonstrated seems too risky for anyone, they absolutely should not try it. However, I will continue to do it if/when it's necessary because I know that it works and that it doesn't put any of my appendages in danger. Frankly, I wouldn't have presented it if I felt that it did. To imply otherwise, well... Fuck it. You guys do what you want.
    What you showed is what worked for me to clear mine out as not knowing the manual of arms found me in the jammed up 1301 situation many times. Fucking around somehow smashed my shit though.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Tom, don't take my comments as not being appreciative of your fix. My personal philosophy is that, absent some unusual circumstance, my response to any shotgun problem (stoppage, out of ammo, something else) is to drop the shotgun and draw my handgun. I carry Benelli shotguns and have two 1301 shotguns, which I will not carry, because they are not enough better than a Benelli to put up with that design flaw.

If I was shooting 3 gun, or other games with a 1301, I would be very interested. I am still pissed off at Beretta for possibly putting our family's life at risk during the times we carried a 1301 around grizzly bears.

The bolt won't move forward unless the lifter comes up (or your gun is broken). If you have a shell on the lifter, and your thumb on that shell, how will your thumb get squished? When you take your thumb out of the ejection port, the shell (and the lifter) rises up, releasing the bolt. But, since there is a shell on the lifter, your thumb CAN NOT be in the way of the bolt.

It seemed obvious to me, and I am not a particularly smart man. Because of this fix, my next gun purchase will be a 1301
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 03-08-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

When I first starting messing with a 1301 (in July of 2014) I lost a fingernail because I didn't know WTF I was doing and got my pinky smashed pretty good. I've since "studied" the problem and figured out something that does work, is easy to perform (slowly, rapidly, in the dark, with my eyes closed, whatever), and is safe (for me).
    Tom: As a 1301 owner, I appreciate the work you've done on this. Unfortunately, I have all the mechanical gifts of an albino sloth (which, as everyone knows, are much less mechanically inclined than normal sloths), and the truth is don't really know how the internals of a 1301 work. So I am going to have to work through this one step at a time until I (1) understand how the thing works; and (2) can fix a jam in the dark.

I'm confident that your video will show me the way, however, and let's face it, it's probably a good idea to learn how the feeding mechanism's on one's firearms work.

WTF are you people taking about?
    We need an LOL button.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Thanks for documenting this work around Tom. Now to get out the dummy rounds and practice...a lot.

User Tag List