Page 573 of 678 FirstFirst ... 73473523563571572573574575583623673 ... LastLast
Results 5,721 to 5,730 of 6780

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical

Is it damaged? Or are you just wanting to have more on hand?

Looks like they have it listed on a Euro site.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by trajiiic View Post
    I've probably got 700+ shells through my 1301. After this last session of over 100 shells I was not able to clean it right away like I would normally. A week later I went to clean it and had to use a soft rubber mallet to remove the barrel. When I did, a rubber o-ring fell from the piston assembly.

The O-ring is part# C5A038.

I'm curious if those of you who don't religiously clean your 1301 like I normally do, have had this o-ring fail when disassembling the shotgun? I don't believe it's 100% required to be in place for the shotgun to fire, but I'll be looking to get a replacement ASAP. Though, I'm a bit disappointed to have an expendable o-ring within the gas system.

EDIT: Looks like Freedom Fighter Tactical is the only US store with these in stock. it's 2x the price ($15) and shipping is $20. Anyone know a better place? Brownells and Midwest don't have them in stock. Beretta USA doesn't even have them listed.
    Mine falls out sometimes while transporting the gun broken down. I just shove it back in during reassembly and everything works fine. I doubt yours needs to be replaced yet unless it has obvious cuts or something, but I understand wanting to have one for a back up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
    It occurred to me, will the Blitzkrieg front sight work with an OEM rear sight? It should but it should have worked with the CROM too.
    Yes. The OEM rear sight has enough elevation range to zero with a Blitzkrieg front site at 25 yd with Federal slugs and FliteControl #1 and 00 buck for my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Is it damaged? Or are you just wanting to have more on hand?

Looks like they have it listed on a Euro site.
    Yes, it tore in half when I removed the barrel assembly. I don't think they ship to the US from the European site
    "Follow me!"

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Mine falls out sometimes while transporting the gun broken down. I just shove it back in during reassembly and everything works fine. I doubt yours needs to be replaced yet unless it has obvious cuts or something, but I understand wanting to have one for a back up.
    Yep, this one is torn in half. I'll be getting additional for backups.
    "Follow me!"

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trajiiic View Post
    I've probably got 700+ shells through my 1301. After this last session of over 100 shells I was not able to clean it right away like I would normally. A week later I went to clean it and had to use a soft rubber mallet to remove the barrel.
    Interestingly enough, I had a similar experience with a client's gun this weekend. Keep in mind, I've had literally dozens of 1301 shotguns come through my classes and private training sessions over the last few years. I've taken a fair few of them apart to demonstrate cleaning and maintenance or because somebody loads a shell backwards or something.

I've never had to literally beat a barrel off of a 1301 until Saturday, where I ruined the derlin head of a gunsmith's hammer beating the barrel off of a very recent production 1301T. The gun itself was one I was familiar with because I had re-installed the CROM on it after it had come loose from the LTT installation.

The gun had not been shot very much since it was last cleaned, maybe a couple of hundred shells all done in a class the owner was in. Her gun came apart easily prior to that class. But on Saturday when her gun experienced a series of light strikes I went to disassemble the shotgun and it behaved like I've never seen prior. As I beat the barrel out of the receiver, showers of huge carbon chunks just rained out of the thing. The gas piston was caked to the point that the snap ring looked like the "teeth" on it had been worn smooth just because so much carbon had accumulated that it was filling in the low spots. I had to chisel most of it out with a small screwdriver.

The rubber O-ring that sits in the recess of the gas cylinder has a section missing. It's possible it slipped out of its normal seating position and actually started to get chewed up by the movement of the piston, wedging the barrel in place...but I don't know for sure.

What I can say for sure is that the amount of fouling in this gun was not normal. My two 1301 shotguns see shell counts in a couple of months that exceed what this gun has seen in its entire life. My guns are only cleaned once a year, and even then reluctantly, and they don't look this bad when I finally do take them apart to clean them.

The whole reason I disassembled the gun was to look at the firing pin. I found the firing pin channel absolutely stuffed with carbon to the point that manually pressing the firing pin with a punch was forcing caked up bits of carbon out the firing pin hole. Beyond that, even touching the bolt carrier area resulted in my hands turning almost black immediately. I've handled plenty of dirty 1301 shotguns but never anything like this, and certainly never in the kind of low round counts we're talking about here.

I know the gun was cleaned as recently as April because I did it myself. In the time between the gun's last cleaning and Saturday it had seen maybe 200 shells. My guns will fire 200 shells in a single session and never exhibit the kind of fouling I saw on this thing. I've been shooting a 1301 since 2016 and this is the first time I've seen anything like this. It's not just ammo because she was literally using the same Federal ammunition from some of the same lots my recent ammo has been purchased from.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    This youtube video shows some of the symptoms we're discussing:

The specimen I'm working on had a whole lot more carbon buildup than what I'm seeing in this video, though.

To be clear, the gun was cycling fine despite the extra gunk. The buildup inside the firing pin channel was really the only clue that something was amiss. The rest became evident when I tried to correct that problem.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    This youtube video shows some of the symptoms we're discussing:

The specimen I'm working on had a whole lot more carbon buildup than what I'm seeing in this video, though.

To be clear, the gun was cycling fine despite the extra gunk. The buildup inside the firing pin channel was really the only clue that something was amiss. The rest became evident when I tried to correct that problem.
    I must have caught this early. My piston assembly, bolt, and gas ports did not seem ridiculously dirty when I got the barrel off. The magazine tube did seem to show more carbon than normal, but that might just be me being overly observant. No chunks of carbon here.

I'll make sure I keep a few of these o-rings as spares and inspect the installed one as part of my cleaning routine.

From what you have shared, this doesn't seem to be related to waiting to clean the shotgun. The problem is a failure of the o-ring caused a carbon lock between the magazine tube and gas system. In my case, when the barrel finally came off the piston remained attached to to the magazine tube but was able to be removed easily by hand. It's possible that I could have damaged or misaligned the o-ring when re-assembling the shotgun the last time before shooting, but I don't remember the last reassembly being any different.

I appreciate your input.

P.S. It would be a strange coincidence if your customer's 1301 was also a Gen 2 Marine model like mine, haha.
    "Follow me!"

Site Supporter
    @TCinVA thanks for posting that up.

It makes you wonder if Beretta got some O-rings that were out of spec, or maybe they changed suppliers or something. I’ll keep an eye on mine for sure.

Site Supporter

Local sources for O ring?

Is there something special about the 1301 O ring or could it be found at the local hardware store?

User Tag List