Page 357 of 675 FirstFirst ... 257307347355356357358359367407457 ... LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,570 of 6747

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical

Anyone have any experience with the Briley MLOK Stage Saver adapter and a zhukov handguard? I like the MLOK interface vs drilling for a Matchsaverz/Taccom Stage Saver.

https://www.briley.com/p-61812-stage-saver-adapter.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took these crappy phone pics for the LTT thread but thought I'd add them here for future readers and aspiring photographers. [emoji13]
    Aridus CROM with Haught Mod rear iron and Holosun 507C.
    (Yes, I really like the Haught Mod and think it's the best way to go if using a dot... It keeps the window clear while still allowing the eye to center up the front iron if ever needed.)

I have the same setup, and the same pictures... It really shows the minimal sight blockage of the 507’s thin framework. This one compares the 507 to the 503. Notice the thicker framework on the 503.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is the 1301 drop safe.

One of the guys on the Gunsite list inquired and I have read no mention of whether it is or not. I tend to think shotguns are not drop safe. My assumption is that the question is referring to a gun with a round in the chamber and safety on.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboytim View Post
    I have the same setup, and the same pictures... It really shows the minimal sight blockage of the 507’s thin framework. This one compares the 507 to the 503. Notice the thicker framework on the 503.
    I just got notice from Aridus yesterday that my CROM with the Haught mod, and set up for the Aimpoint Micro, just shipped. Can't wait to get it on as I don't really trust the attachment of the rail (Beretta aluminum) to the receiver.

The rear aperture mod looks great since GR sights don't work well for me.

The only thing left to do is finalize the Streamlight flashlight (their knock off of the F Scout) install on the right side and install the touch pad on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck3006 View Post
    One of the guys on the Gunsite list inquired and I have read no mention of whether it is or not. I tend to think shotguns are not drop safe. My assumption is that the question is referring to a gun with a round in the chamber and safety on.
    Shotguns, including the 1301, are not drop safe with a round chambered and the safety on. This is why a lot of us, myself included, keep their shotguns “Cruiser Ready” with a round either on the lifter (1301) or ready to be cycled into the chamber from the magazine, like with many pump guns. A spare pistol nearby increases readiness... 🤓

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboytim View Post
    Shotguns, including the 1301, are not drop safe with a round chambered and the safety on. This is why a lot of us, myself included, keep their shotguns “Cruiser Ready” with a round either on the lifter (1301) or ready to be cycled into the chamber from the magazine, like with many pump guns. A spare pistol nearby increases readiness... 🤓
    That's a really big pet peeve of mine about shotguns. I'd so much rather push the safety off then have to work the action. Is it really not possible for them to make these things drop safe? Or do they just not bother since everybody "scares away the bad guys by racking a round" anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    That's a really big pet peeve of mine about shotguns. I'd so much rather push the safety off then have to work the action. Is it really not possible for them to make these things drop safe? Or do they just not bother since everybody "scares away the bad guys by racking a round" anyway?
    Since the “scares away the bad guys by racking a round” always shows up in every “top shotgun myth” list that I’ve ever seen, I believe it is mere tradition and ease of manufacture that motivates shotgun makers to continue making their guns sans a drop safe feature. The firing pins are hidden deep within the bolt, with a wrap around spring to hold them back. That spring tension is all that prevents a drop from potentially forcing the firing pin forward to strike and set off a chambered round’s primer. We’ve lived with this for a long time without serious issues, the occasional accident notwithstanding. I’m 68. My father taught me to unload my hunting shotgun’s chamber prior to crossing fence lines after dove/quail/pheasant, for example. Don’t think it will change anytime soon. That said, I’m equally unsure it is a big issue in a home defense situation. Any long gun is slower to bring into action than any hand gun, all things being equal. Concern for quickness of pointing lethal justice toward a threat, may be assuaged with a hand gun. Time allowing, the long gun can then be pressed into service. At least, that’s my current theory.

I’m also still wondering if anyone has tested the “racking the gun will give away your position” theory. It could be done with an empty gun and a willing “intruder” with sharp ears... Wonder if they would be able to track the “racker” to their position.... 🤔

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck3006 View Post
    No long gun is truly drop safe.

The only thing the safety on the 1301 (and just about any other shotgun) does is block rearward movement of the trigger.

Shotguns in particular are a danger because of weight. The typical pump gun is quite heavy. The typical shotgun is a pump gun that hasn't seen armorer's attention in its entire life, meaning the springs that hold the hammer and sear together are probably old and worn, the sear surface is probably fairly worn, etc. Back in the day when shotguns rode up front in quick access brackets those who carried a shotgun in the car with a round in the chamber sometimes ended up with unintentional sunroofs when they hit railroad tracks or jumped a curb at speed.

Hence the almost universal adoption of "cruiser ready", or keeping the shotgun on standby with the tubular magazine loaded but an empty chamber.

For home defense use on a pump gun, I teach hammer down (this ensures the action is unlocked) on an empty chamber via a SAFE dryfire shot, then loading the magazine of the shotgun to desired capacity.

On semi-autos that have a shell cutoff feature (like the 1301) I teach loading the magazine and then using the shell release to leave one on the lifter. This allows simply running the bolt to charge the weapon for use.

One of the biggest problems attendant to the use of the defensive shotgun is getting it into action. Keeping that critical manipulation as simple as possible (run the pump, run the bolt) makes it much more likely people will be able to make it work. Policies do exist that require setting a gun up for "cruiser safe", which involves leaving the action locked and the safety engaged on an empty chamber with the magazine loaded. The typically minimally "trained" police officer who is getting 10 rounds of fam fire per year on the shotgun is not going to be able to get that weapon into action in an emergency.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 08-17-2020 at 06:24 AM.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Pistols are largely drop safe because they have some sort of firing pin block or striker block that isn't disengaged until the last moment of trigger press. It's certainly possible to design a shotgun with that feature, but it would be expensive and would require a complete redesign of the fire control components of the shotgun.

No long gun we commonly use is drop safe. Including the ubiquitous AR. That's why it is best to store one with an empty chamber.

We carry a pistol with a round in the chamber because the pistol is the weapon we use when we didn't know we would need a gun. The assault we are using a pistol to stop is usually fast and close and requires an instant response. Typically when a long gun is involved it's because we know there might be trouble and so we have the opportunity to properly arm ourselves for the occasion. When we pick up the gun we usually have time to charge it.

The "racking a round" thing isn't causal. Long guns are not made drop safe because to this point nobody has specified it as a requirement for the purchase of a long gun.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List