Page 226 of 680 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276326 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 6792

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical

I’ve got one on the way from Buds. I just ordered the shroud from Tom. I’m looking forward to shooting this gun and doing some of the upgrades in this thread.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    FWIW, I’ll provide shrouds for free (or at most my cost plus shipping) to any LE agency that needs them.

ETA: BUSA will do the same for they variant they produce.
    Good for you. It literally could save a life, for very little on your part, comparatively! It's nice when you can find an easy way to prevent a tragedy!

Site Supporter
    Is that the white chevron, or the luminescent one? I’m considering one of these with a tritium dot, and am debating between the two colors. If it’s luminescent, how well is it glowing for you? And how is the contrast/visibility in daylight?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobettadefense View Post
    Received and installed my blitzkrieg front sight. https://www.blitzkriegcomponents.com...s.asp?Cat=1826 I have not shot it yet with the sight but it looks good and is very easy to pick up when mounting the gun or swinging to change targets, etc.

It is a bit of a fiddly install and i used a Craftsman "Midget" wrench in 7/32 to do the job. I also used a little piece of magnetic tape to hold the nut on the wrench so I could get it started.
    Attachment 23311

View through the Ghost ring rear
    Attachment 23312

View from above the barrel
    Attachment 23313

So far so good hopefully I will get to shoot the gun very soon for the maiden voyage of this front sight.

Great to have a Beretta rep here. With the fix and other new stuff I'm a buyer.

About choke tubes. I don't know but I have an addiction to them. You probably don't need them with buckshot, until your fixed choke barrel doesn't pattern well with buckshot. I've had it happen with barrel from the same maker and apparently so has Tom Givens, because I've heard him say you should sell barrels that don't pattern. So I see it as a plus, and I probably already have tubes for it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

What's the ETA on the Aridus CROM for RMR? I've got one on the shelf waiting as well as a Magpul stock.
    | 92 Centennial x 2 | 92-Stock Competition | 92 Combat x 2 |
    | 92 Brigadier Tactical | 92G-SD | 92 Elite II in 9mm, 9x21 and 357SIG |
    | CZ SP01 Shadow | CZ P-01 in ODG | CZ-97 | Walther P5 |
    | SIG/SAN 553R | SIG/SAN 553-Diopter | SIG/SAN 551-2 SP SWAT |

Quote Originally Posted by PGT View Post
    What's the ETA on the Aridus CROM for RMR? I've got one on the shelf waiting as well as a Magpul stock.
    I’m sure Adam will wonder by @ some point but as a selfish prick I’m hopeful that the Zhukov forend gets released on X day & the RMR mount on Y.

That said IIRC he posted earlier this yr. on MyFace that those two projects were both in the pipeline for a March/April release.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 02-04-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Thanks! I have so many projects half-done, I like to knock them out.
    | 92 Centennial x 2 | 92-Stock Competition | 92 Combat x 2 |
    | 92 Brigadier Tactical | 92G-SD | 92 Elite II in 9mm, 9x21 and 357SIG |
    | CZ SP01 Shadow | CZ P-01 in ODG | CZ-97 | Walther P5 |
    | SIG/SAN 553R | SIG/SAN 553-Diopter | SIG/SAN 551-2 SP SWAT |

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    In regards to chokes and buckshot:

Chokes do not necessarily give you better patterns with buckshot.

One of the primary reasons why buckshot spreads out is because of contact between the pellets as they are moving down the bore. Soft lead pellets tend to flat-spot when fired, and that also causes them to fly erratically. So with a cheap buckshot load like the aforementioned S&B 9 pellet 00 load, the pellets are slammed into one another from the moment of ignition and they're smacking into each other as they are being pushed out the bore. Then they hit the open air and fly erratically and as a result that load tends to pattern badly in most shotguns.

Some of this can be alleviated with various tricks. 8 pellet 00 loads tend to pattern better than 9 pellet loads because it allows for arranging the individual pellets with less contact between the pellets. Grex is used to cushion individual pellets from one another to reduce flat-spotting. Federal's Flight Control ammunition uses plated pellets that resist deformation better, and contains them in a wad that is designed to keep the pellets corralled longer before stripping away from the payload. In my shooting I've found FC wads stuck in the target inches from the shot payload at 25 yards.

Chokes can actually cause more contact between pellets, which can result in poorer patterning. Carlson's makes an aftermarket choke specifically for buckshot that is supposed to perform very well, but I've never tried it.

Addressing the forcing cone of the barrel is often a superior tactic for improving the patterning of a specific barrel. I've had the forcing cone on my humble pie 870 touched up by a local smith and that gun now shoots the S&B buckshot I mentioned very well even at 20 yards. Before that work it was a total shitshow at anything over 10.

So while chokes are nice, I'm not terribly concerned about the ability to have one in my 1301T for the reasons I'm using it. (Defense and instruction) Although now I am thinking about calling Briley up and seeing if they might be willing to do some work on the 1301T's barrel for me...
    Tim,

FWIW, all Beretta 1301 Barrels (fixed and removable choke both) are backbored from the factory. That's our "Optima" system.

The new ones combine that with varying constrictions, so you will probably notice better results than you might with a simple constriction change with cheap buckshot on a non backbored barrel.

I have found that our Optima barrels with removable chokes tend to run better with tighter constrictions and cheap 00 than expected, but as with everything, YMMV and I'd strongly suggest testing each and every individual prospective load prior to use.

When I get some time I'll get down to our tube and pattern a few non FC 00 loads with a new 1301T and a Modified choke and post the results.

-Erik
    Last edited by e_stern; 02-06-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    Used to make pasta, now I make waffles.

Site Supporter
    Both men hit the nail on the head with accurate and verifiable statements. Pellet deformation is the number one disruptor of buckshot patterns. For many years Browning shotguns have been back bored to improve patterns. Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag pump gun barrels are back bored to the extent that the barrels warn against slug use. It appears that the Beretta 1301 is America's best buy in defense shotguns. I plan to buy one soon. I just can't help it.

Quote Originally Posted by e_stern View Post
    Tim,

FWIW, all Beretta 1301 Barrels (fixed and removable choke both) are backbored from the factory. That's our "Optima" system.

The new ones combine that with varying constrictions, so you will probably notice better results than you might with a simple constriction change with cheap buckshot on a non backbored barrel.

I have found that our Optima barrels with removable chokes tend to run better with tighter constrictions and cheap 00 than expected, but as with everything, YMMV and I'd strongly suggest testing each and every individual prospective load prior to use.

When I get some time I'll get down to our tube and pattern a few non FC 00 loads with a new 1301T and a Modified choke and post the results.

-Erik
    The 1301T is not back-bored.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 02-07-2018 at 04:50 AM.

User Tag List