Page 516 of 680 FirstFirst ... 16416466506514515516517518526566616 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,160 of 6792

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Removing it lets the spring extend to the end of the screw on cover when assembled which gives it the tiny bit of extra space that is needed.

Obviously, with the retaining cap removed the spring won’t be captured so you’ll have to be careful during disassembly, but that’s no different than the older model with the Nordic extension.
    Thanks. Do you know if anyone has played with replacing the follower?
    Join FPC

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Replacing with a Carrier Comp follower on the Nordic models would let me just squeeze in #7. I ditched it and went with the trimmed spring because I didn't like being right on the edge - having an extra 1/2-3/4" after the 7th round is loaded gives more room for error in loading IMO.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    I've seen non-factory followers hang up in the transition between an aftermarket magazine tube and the factory magazine tube. I experienced it myself and I've seen it in several client guns.

In the updated models with the one piece tube from the factory that shouldn't be a concern.
    3/15/2016

My 1301 has the Nordic extension and my gun will just about hold 7 rounds in the magazine. When I push my finger in with 7 rounds in the magazine I may have an additional 1/4" of movement. I compared some Federal 9 pellet 00 flight control in overall length to Ranger 00 Buck and they seem the same length.

If it were my Beretta 1301 that only held 6 rounds in the magazine, my response would be "Oh, well. I really like the gun a lot and can live with this. It would be nice if it held 7 rounds in the magazine . . ." And then I would move on. Having said that, I am not so wedded to flight control that I would not use a different brand of quality 2 3/4" ammo if it allowed me to load an extra round of ammo as long as my home defense situation did not depend on longer shots or tight patterns. As far as trying to modify the gun to enable the magazine to allow it to hold 7 rounds, I would be more concerned about sacrificing reliability.

Emphasis before edit window locks: I would have to really look at my overall situation to decide whether the tighter pattern of the flight control was worth sacrificing on round of ammo--6 rounds of flight control in the magazine vs 7 rounds of a quality buckshot that does not pattern as tighty. Or I would decide that I would rather only have 6 rounds in the magazine rather than stuff the extra round it. It's like comedian Richard Lewis wondering whether he should have 6 or 7 rounds in his magazine (three people reading this might get the Richard Lewis reference.).
    Last edited by Ed L; 02-18-2022 at 06:36 AM.

Here is a video of me trying to make a decision about a Beretta 1301 with a magazine that can hold 6 rounds of flight control or 7 rounds of other buckshot:

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    My primary gun has the Nordic extension in it and will fit 7 shells of FFC in the magazine.

But I installed the extension myself after the fact (quite some time after buying the gun, actually) and I trimmed the Nordic magazine spring to length to allow that. I've seen no problems with the function of the shotgun in thousands of rounds. The magazine tube stays fully loaded with an 8th shell on the lifter as it's my HD gun.

I'm not sure what magazine spring you have in your gun, but I'd have zero hesitation to buy a Nordic magazine spring and trim it so that you can fit seven shells in the gun and still have a little bit of movement. It doesn't seem to hurt the function of the gun any. The quality of the spring is good enough that you don't have to replace it yearly as a consequence, either. I'm still running my original Nordic spring in the gun after a lot more abuse than most people will ever see.

I would also have zero concern running one less shell in the magazine. Partly because I'm unlikely to go through six shells and still have a problem to solve in a home defense situation. Partly because I can get another round from my side saddle on target in about a second and a half.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    It will be hard to find in this long thread (we need an index), but the Nordic extension has the same issue with a full-length spring. The instructions actually say to trim the spring. I think I trimmed mine to 11" (don't take my word on the length - I'd find the actual instructions and follow them) free spring length when the cap is removed and it now lets me comfortably load 7.
    It is my understanding that Nordic and Wolff only have one spring, and since Nordic makes a +9 extension it would make sense it needs to be trimmed with a +2. I do mine to ~14" (I think that was the Wolff recommendation?) but you can probably get by with less.
    ETA: Not sure this is just a known thing, but I use the hole in the end cap to stick a 22cal cleaning rod through and it make wrestling with the spring a thing of the past. I think the hole is there to drain water or something but it sure is handy.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I've seen non-factory followers hang up in the transition between an aftermarket magazine tube and the factory magazine tube. I experienced it myself and I've seen it in several client guns.
    This happened with my 391 (my 1301C is the new one) when I used the clamp, might have been the first time I used the Nordic follower, but taking the clamp off solved the problem (that I hastily removed while preloading at a match...).
    Nordic's guidelines are they recommend it and require it for +4 and greater. My +3 for my 21" 1301C gets here today, It should stick out just a bit past the Briley choke, and I do not plan to use a clamp (don't like the weight, don't plan to mount a light on this one or a sling up there).
    I also took the factory clamp off of my new style 1301T while I was doing some work to it and left it off. Didn't realize how butt-ugly it was until I took it off.

My Nordic clamp has been on and off as much as a hooker’s panties, but I’ve finally left in on as assurance the extension won’t spontaneously unscrew.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

My 1301 with the factory 7 round tube only held six rounds when new. I took out the magazine spring retention cap and the gun now holds seven rounds. The plastic spring retention cap caused the magazine spring to coil bind 1/2" too soon. The only downside is the magazine tube cover/barrel retention nut is now under spring tension from the magazine spring. There's an infinite amount of OEM and aftermarket 12ga magazine springs on the market, I'd probably buy a few and cut them down if you can't load to the manufacturer's advertised capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
    My 1301 with the factory 7 round tube only held six rounds when new. I took out the magazine spring retention cap and the gun now holds seven rounds. The plastic spring retention cap caused the magazine spring to coil bind 1/2" too soon. The only downside is the magazine tube cover/barrel retention nut is now under spring tension from the magazine spring. There's an infinite amount of OEM and aftermarket 12ga magazine springs on the market, I'd probably buy a few and cut them down if you can't load to the manufacturer's advertised capacity.
    Have you had any function issues with the retention cap removed?

User Tag List