Page 449 of 449 FirstFirst ... 349399439447448449
Results 4,481 to 4,488 of 4488

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Sigh... Good eye.

So here's the deal with that.

Recently I've seen a few people mount some type of hand stop to the side of a shotgun foregrip to facilitate better control and I wanted to try it for myself.
    I started with an AR vertical hand grip and cut it down shorter and mounted it on the 1301. The tape is automotive wiring tape used to protect wires from engine heat... I added some of it to the barrel so that if my new hand position shifted enough to allow my thumb to touch the hot barrel I wouldn't get too badly scorched.
    I tried this all out at the range last week and was pleasantly surprised with the results. Push-Pull transitioned from something I needed to remember into something that naturally occured.
    The simple repositioning of my hand from under the fore end to the side in kind of a modified C grip completely changed the dynamics... I felt much stronger and much more in control of the recoil. That position just works better with the bones and muscles in my support arm. I'm dummy-far from being an expert but it seems to me the only real reason we place our support hand under the fore grip of a shotgun is to run the pump action. I don't need that with an auto so why be slaved to it? I'm not going to stick with a less efficient method than necessary in fear that it may one day initially screw me up if I grab a pump gun.
    It's not perfect in that it's kind of ugly, it's slightly in the way of my right hand from transitioned shooting, and it's just large enough to make toggling the light not 100% natural... It takes a slight reach with my thumb which is not ideal.
    Basically it's a work in progress, but I feel the concept is sound until someone smarter and with better training tells me why it's dumb/wrong/gonna get me kilt in da streetz. A slightly smaller solution would be better but it needs to stay large enough to spread out the recoil through the whole hand so it doesn't just batter my thumb to death... In that regard this one is ideal. I didn't even think about it as I was shooting... I was just like "why haven't I done this sooner?".

Everyone feel free to laugh, praise, advise or instruct...
    Valid experiment! I might rather not add width to a gun, but, in this case, the light and side saddle add width to that side of the weapon, so, if the hand stop/grip enhances your handling, well, good work, sir!

Meanwhile, I continue to try to resist all of this Beretta-oriented enabling. (I transitioned from an 870P, back to a Benelli, for police duty, in 2016, and added a second Benelli, after I retired, in 2018.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-19-2021 at 06:53 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I'm curious about the effectiveness and longevity of the wiring tape on the barrel. I've burned my fingers a few times on a hot barrel. I'll chip in for the aloe lotion if you'll touch test the bare portion versus the taped next session...
    My apologies to weasels.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    I'm curious about the effectiveness and longevity of the wiring tape on the barrel. I've burned my fingers a few times on a hot barrel. I'll chip in for the aloe lotion if you'll touch test the bare portion versus the taped next session...
    Since we've already both been there/done that I'm not sure a repeat is necessary, lol. If the tape fails I'll just come up with another idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    You can probably take your horizontal grip down further if needed.

.25” or more to minimize width.
    Your suggestion caused me to reconsider my earlier reply. Plus I wanted to make the whole thing a bit less butt-ugly.
    I shorted it up some more and gave it a little angle for extra tacticool points and then noted how thick the walls of the grip actually were. This gave me some material to work with so I ground down the top section to give my thumb so more room to reach. It works better now and doesn't require as much effort to hit the toggle switch.
    It's still kind of ugly, but maybe now it's a cool ugly versus the exploding hernia it was.

Site Supporter
    I love a good experiment, and pleased to hear about the difference the your handstop makes in push-pull technique.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

tacticool points given.

looks much better and hey if it works (to improve follow up shots and keeping your from getting burned) A+ for creative thinking.

now if you could store and retain a single slug round in the hole.... thats the ticket (HA... just kidding)
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Name:  never been done before.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  36.7 KB

Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

One more mod to finish it off as I never know when to quit, lol.

I still wasn't totally happy with activating the light toggle so I decided to add an extension to it. I pondered multiple ways to accomplish this with reliability being my primary concern. I finally settled on using epoxy putty with screws inside it to fully anchor it in place, molding the epoxy around the screws. Now it's perfect if not exactly sexy.
    Try not to drool on your keyboards... [emoji23]

One more mod to finish it off as I never know when to quit, lol.

I still wasn't totally happy with activating the light toggle so I decided to add an extension to it. I pondered multiple ways to accomplish this with reliability being my primary concern. I finally settled on using epoxy putty with screws inside it to fully anchor it in place, molding the epoxy around the screws. Now it's perfect if not exactly sexy.
    Try not to drool on your keyboards... [emoji23]
    we are in the same boat. I have a 92LTT and extremely large hands and long fingers. My thumb was ever so slightly catching the slide stop and preventing slide lock.

I looked for thicker grips as I felt the factory LTT grip was thinned in the thumb area. But I liked the grip....so I went GearFondler method and it worked. I little dab (blk RTV) will do ya. Just enough to reposition my thumb.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

User Tag List