Page 27 of 683 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127527 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical

The 1301 is pretty impressive.
    It fed everything from light #7 1/2 Estate to Brenneke Special Forces slugs without a hiccup.
    Very soft shooting, even with #00 and slugs.
    Extremely fast cycling. On a 8" square steel plate at 7 yards I was doing "Bill Drills" with some #6 high brass and averaged .24 splits with my fastest split being a .20
    The only downside is 8 pellet Federal FC #00 (LE133 00) was giving me 8" groups at 25 yards instead of <6" like I was expecting.
    I also had to Locktite and tighten up the extended bolt release lever when it loosened off.
    So far, so good.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Lesson learned... while learning to ghost load, don't release the bolt while your finger is in the chamber. That little brain fart cost me a fingernail.
    Did you just re-invent M1 Thumb?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

So for those w experience w the TAC Model & the Comp model are the stocks that much different? If so which is better at comfort through firing? Sight alignment for both irons & optic?

I'm not a gamer but the enhanced loading port of the Comp is appealing. I'm tempted to get a Comp & cut down to 18" - but if that means I'm giving up a better handling/diverse weapon in doing so it loses its appeal. Thx for all the info, following this conversation as I'm strongly considering this as my next shotgun.

The stocks are IDENTICAL.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Any idea whether Beretta makes an 18.5 inch barrel for the Comp?

Quote Originally Posted by Harm View Post
    So for those w experience w the TAC Model & the Comp model are the stocks that much different? If so which is better at comfort through firing? Sight alignment for both irons & optic?

I'm not a gamer but the enhanced loading port of the Comp is appealing. I'm tempted to get a Comp & cut down to 18" - but if that means I'm giving up a better handling/diverse weapon in doing so it loses its appeal. Thx for all the info, following this conversation as I'm strongly considering this as my next shotgun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Any idea whether Beretta makes an 18.5 inch barrel for the Comp?
    By appearance, the stocks look the same, but my understanding is they are shimmed differently (with those being able to be adjusted to user preference).

Right now, no short barrel for the 1301 Competition model, which is why I am planning to get a 24 (24 so the choke doesn't interfere with the cut -- thanks to someone at PF for pointing that out) and cut it to 18.5 and add the HD front sight and pistol rear sight this winter. I like the handiness of the 1301 T, but really don't care for the sights on it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Thanks

I've discovered what I consider to be a major flaw in the 1301 (maybe in all semi-auto shotguns?).

Chamber loaded, tube loaded, safety on. Ready to rock by just pushing off the safety.
    Basically how I store my defense shotgun in the house.
    If anything presses the bolt release lever (which is a large easy to press paddle) it releases multiple rounds from the tube onto the lifter which binds everything up and requires a plastic rod (I use the magazine plug) to clear and free the rounds.
    That's a bad malfunction to have, it pretty much requires a tool to clear unless you want smashed, cut up fingers.

Is this a semi-auto shotgun thing or a Beretta 1301 thing?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I've discovered what I consider to be a major flaw in the 1301 (maybe in all semi-auto shotguns?).

Chamber loaded, tube loaded, safety on. Ready to rock by just pushing off the safety.
    If anything presses the bolt release lever (which is a large easy to press paddle) it releases multiple rounds from the tube onto the lifter which binds everything up and requires a plastic rod (I use the magazine plug) to clear and free the rounds.
    That's a bad malfunction to have, it pretty much requires a tool to clear unless you want smashed, cut up fingers.

Interesting.

Just checked -- the Benelli doesn't do this.

My short 1301 is actually the TX4, which doesn't have the monster paddle -- just a small button. My 1301 Comp has the big paddle, and does exactly what you say.

My TX4 isn't here, so I can't check whether it does the same thing, and is just less likely to happen, or whether the big paddle is the problem. I believe Brownell's sells the little button, like I have on my TX4, which you could switch to. Beretta usually has good tech support people, and I will be interested in what they say.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My 930SPX does exactly that, and it's maddening.

User Tag List