Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1301 heat shield options?

1301 heat shield options?

After mainly shooting my AR’s, I’ve become accustomed to shooting with the C grip on the forend. Now that I’m spending more time getting acquainted with my 1301, I catch myself wanting to shoot it with a C grip. That only last a few round before the barrel starts to get too hot!

I saw a YouTube video where someone modified a Mossberg heat shield to wor with their 1301. It looked like a good idea and worked well but… it wasn’t aesthetically pleasing to me. Like putting hubcaps on a luxury car!

So does anyone know of other options? I know I could wear gloves. I’m also aware of the Briley forend, but it’s pricey. Is there a more aesthetically pleasing Mossberg shield?

I found a nice looking heat shield made for the Benelli M4, but it’s also $$$… photos bellow
    Name:  IMG_0005.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  61.5 KB

I'm with you but I don't think there's a good answer yet.
    Unless Aridus ever designs one anyway.

Well hopefully this thread will spark a fire under some manufacturer!

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    Well hopefully this thread will spark a fire under some manufacturer!
    The little bit of research I've done suggests the biggest issue is the add-on shield always moves around under recoil so that it comes loose and also scratches the barrel... So basically it's a +2 barrel clamp type of situation.
    A clamp that secures to the forend instead of the barrel is probably the answer.

I haven't tried it yet, and it's not cheap, but a lot of people really like the Briley handguard. It's open on top but it's still supposed to work well with the C clamp grip.

https://www.briley.com/p-64587-brile...00-xtreme.aspx
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

I was brainstorming ideas for a heat shield. Based on what GearFodler said about the Mossberg things moving around, why not make one that bolts onto the Aridus forend? I don’t have the Aridus, so I don’t know if it would actually work though.

If it were feasible, the only draw back for me would be price. It might just be easier to invest the $ on the Briley…

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    I was brainstorming ideas for a heat shield. Based on what GearFodler said about the Mossberg things moving around, why not make one that bolts onto the Aridus forend? I don’t have the Aridus, so I don’t know if it would actually work though.

If it were feasible, the only draw back for me would be price. It might just be easier to invest the $ on the Briley…
    As noted I don't have any experience with the Briley, but I'm thinking about trying it out. I do have experience with the Aridus. It's a nice setup. It's well made, but I also like the C style grip and it doesn't work after the barrel starts heating up. I also find the limited mounting options to be lacking.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    As noted I don't have any experience with the Briley, but I'm thinking about trying it out. I do have experience with the Aridus. It's a nice setup. It's well made, but I also like the C style grip and it doesn't work after the barrel starts heating up. I also find the limited mounting options to be lacking.
    The Briley handguard looks appealing, but 13.7 oz seems like a lot to add to the gun. The stock handguard can’t be more than a couple ounces and, while I don’t see a weight specified at the Aridus website, my Ardis handguard doesn’t seem like it added much weight. I do see the appeal of increased rigidity. I haven’t experienced any limitations in mounting options with the Aridus - currently have a weapon light and a QD sling mount attached.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    The Briley handguard looks appealing, but 13.7 oz seems like a lot to add to the gun. The stock handguard can’t be more than a couple ounces and, while I don’t see a weight specified at the Aridus website, my Ardis handguard doesn’t seem like it added much weight. I do see the appeal of increased rigidity. I haven’t experienced any limitations in mounting options with the Aridus - currently have a weapon light and a QD sling mount attached.
    I have that stuff attached as well, but I don't necessarily like their locations. I would also like to be able to run my thumb over the top, but can't with the Aridus once the barrel gets hot.
    Steve

Are all the Mlok rails usable with the Aridus forend? Or will they interfere with the gun’s working parts?

User Tag List