Page 623 of 678 FirstFirst ... 123523573613621622623624625633673 ... LastLast
Results 6,221 to 6,230 of 6778

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I briefly owned both, but my Comp is 21".
    I decided that the Tactical wasn't that much shorter, and a friend wanted one, and I was horny to buy something else.
    But since then I have shifted my three gun shooting over to open class, and now my 21" gun has a goofy long tube on it so it is not short anymore.
    I think maybe I might get another Tactical so that I have a practical defense shotgun.
    Or I might get another Comp, but with 24", and move the long tube over there.
    Part of this decision matrix revolves around getting the MRO setup on the Comp, maybe then I will decide if maybe I want a Tactical, or a second Comp (configured differently).
    Either way, this is something I will troll for, not just run right out and jump on.
    Did you have any trouble going between them with the different sights, different receiver length and tighter loading port on the tactical?

I have been waffling among adding a light to my current 24", getting a 21" and mounting an Aimpoint and a light, or getting a Tactical.

Can't make up my mind and there are no guns local to play with. I will have to order if I decide to get another.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Did you have any trouble going between them with the different sights, different receiver length and tighter loading port on the tactical?
    Part of the reason I sold the Tactical is because I was doing all of the shooting (monthly three gun) with the Comp, so I didn't shoot the Tactical enough to render a valid opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Part of the reason I sold the Tactical is because I was doing all of the shooting (monthly three gun) with the Comp, so I didn't shoot the Tactical enough to render a valid opinion.
    Did you notice any reliability difference between the Tactical and the Comp? I ask due to the difference in the receiver length.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Did you notice any reliability difference between the Tactical and the Comp? I ask due to the difference in the receiver length.
    I haven't run a ton of shells in my Comp yet but i haven't noticed any feeding issues with dummy or live rounds. I have been doing a lot of loading/unloading and dry firing to get myself "trained" on the slightly different manual of arms from the Benelli safety/action release and the MUCH nicer LOP. I don't want to miss a bird fumbling with the controls and I have nearly 20 yrs of Benelli to reformat. (Especially the safety)😁

It also took me a little while to get the stock drop/cast dialed in. It now patterns perfectly for me 50/50 if I hit my mount.

I suspect there are a lot of Comp models being run in 3-gun, and if there were an issue, it would have a bad reputation in those circles which I don't think is the case.

3.5" guns do have a reputation for reliability issues with 2.75" shells but those are hunting guns with 3.5" chambers designed (sprung) to handle those heavier payload shells. The Comp still has a 3" chamber so it shouldn't have the same issues as a typical 3.5" gun since it isn't sprung to shoot Roman candles like the A400.😅

I have a buddy with an A400 and he doesn't have any issues with the lighter loads that he has told me about.

If that is what you are asking.

I haven't run a ton of shells in my Comp yet but i haven't noticed any feeding issues with dummy or live rounds. I have been doing a lot of loading/unloading and dry firing to get myself "trained" on the slightly different manual of arms from the Benelli safety/action release and the MUCH nicer LOP. I don't want to miss a bird fumbling with the controls and I have nearly 20 yrs of Benelli to reformat. (Especially the safety)😁

It also took me a little while to get the stock drop/cast dialed in. It now patterns perfectly for me 50/50 if I hit my mount.

I suspect there are a lot of Comp models being run in 3-gun, and if there were an issue, it would have a bad reputation in those circles which I don't think is the case.

3.5" guns do have a reputation for reliability issues with 2.75" shells but those are hunting guns with 3.5" chambers designed (sprung) to handle those heavier payload shells. The Comp still has a 3" chamber so it shouldn't have the same issues as a typical 3.5" gun since it isn't sprung to shoot Roman candles like the A400.😅

I have a buddy with an A400 and he doesn't have any issues with the lighter loads that he has told me about.

If that is what you are asking.
    Thank you for the informative and detailed answer. Good point about the Comp's good reputation in 3-gun speaking to it's reliability.

Never thought about the 3.5" issue from that point, but it makes sense and would support my hypothesis that sometimes the shorter/weaker loads seem to occasionally bobble on a 3.5" chambered gun.

I'm really leaning towards the 21" 1301 Comp, it seems like it could fill the HD/travel role, sport role, and could be pressed into certain types of bird hunting if needed. And it doesn't look scary, just looks like a hunting/clay shooting shotgun.

3.5" guns do have a reputation for reliability issues with 2.75" shells but those are hunting guns with 3.5" chambers designed (sprung) to handle those heavier payload shells.
    I have probably shot my 1301C only about 500 rounds, I use it once a month since I got it for three gun (25-50 rounds) and I did the Tom Givens shotgun class with it. Now that I think about it, maybe I have closer to 1k through it, I remember I shot it for skeet a few times after I got it, and that is 100 targets each time. No matter, it is still new, but to the best of my recollection it has never bobbled.

OTOH, I have a 391-Xtrema2 that I got shortly after they released (2004 according to the Wiki) and I shot it a metric buttload for quite a while. Mostly skeet, but some sporting clays, and a little bit of hunting. It digested a ton of the 7/8oz #9 reloads we were shooting skeet with. For a while I also used it for three gun, I put a Nordic tube on it and ground out the loading port (I am not worried about resale, that will be my wife's problem with this one). Based on my experience with my Xtreama I have total confidence in any Beretta auto, the four of them have pretty much been flawless (also briefly had a 20g A400), other than an occasional bobble with one of my scuzzy hull reloads. I say get the one you want, run at least a flat of 1-1/8oz loads through it and then consider it broken in and GTG.

ETA:
    I'm really leaning towards the 21" 1301 Comp, it seems like it could fill the HD/travel role, sport role, and could be pressed into certain types of bird hunting if needed. And it doesn't look scary, just looks like a hunting/clay shooting shotgun.
    If I was going to pick one of them, the 21" Comp sure is a cool one, for all of those reasons.

So a friend of mine was trying to find a 1301 Tactical local to him. Everyone was sold out. He did say places had the Comp model and it was cheaper.

I told him I would look into it but I believe he could buy the Comp and have a gun w/ a 24" barrel that would be good for hunting and skeet. He could pick up an 18" barrel and swap it out. Install a +2 extension and he has the 7 rounds. Put a CROM mount on it and he has a red dot and a rear sight.

Is this advice good to go?

The 18” barrel from the Tactical will not fit the Comp because the receivers are different. The Comp works with the 21” and 24” barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    Is this advice good to go?
    No, as mentioned the barrel is not compatible and the reciever is drilled differently also.

I know I had read about people wanting to do it because the larger receiver would make the gun easier to load via the ejection port. I do not remember anyone pointing out that the 18" barrel does not fit.

Thanks for setting me straight.

User Tag List