Page 413 of 679 FirstFirst ... 313363403411412413414415423463513 ... LastLast
Results 4,121 to 4,130 of 6787

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    I know I got 7 in before with the birdshot I've been using at the range. Don't think I ever loaded 7 of the Federal buck at the range, but I think I did at home. I'll compare the length of the birdshot tomorrow. The gun is from Langdon so it has whatever follower he uses (Nordic I think).
    At the time, those were the problem followers. Look back in this thread and you will see the problem and fix.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm learning more and more about the "ghost loading" and keep intending to try it with the A300s we have as I believe they should work the same way.
    Circling back to this in case anyone was curious…

I finally added some dummy 12ga rounds to a Midway order so I could try this out.

Kind of funky, but it is possible to Ghost load the a300. Trick seems to be to pul, the bolt back just far enough, but not so far that the lifter snaps up, and then just kind of wedge the shell down in there.

The dummy rounds are 2.75” rounds. Not that I’d want to, but I don’t see getting a 3” shell shoved down in there on this gun. I see that one of the features advertised on the new a300 Ultimata is a larger ejection port, so perhaps the 1301 also has a larger port than my a300.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    When I set the gun up for a full magazine and a shell still on the lifter, I retract the bolt fully, put the shell in, let the bolt go forward slightly and then press the shell down. That slides it back out from under the extractor and the bolt position allows you to move the lifter down easily.

I've never seen this practice cause a stoppage with the 1301, but it's still not something I recommend doing on a shotgun stored for home defense. YMMV.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    When I set the gun up for a full magazine and a shell still on the lifter, I retract the bolt fully, put the shell in, let the bolt go forward slightly and then press the shell down. That slides it back out from under the extractor and the bolt position allows you to move the lifter down easily.

I've never seen this practice cause a stoppage with the 1301, but it's still not something I recommend doing on a shotgun stored for home defense. YMMV.
    Why do you not recommend it? That’s how I have mine set up currently. If there are functional/reliability issues, I definitely want to know. I’ve tried it live fire and dry with two different types of dummy shells and haven’t experienced any problems with the shell on the lifter feeding and chambering or issues with the next shell being placed on the lifter after the trigger is pulled.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Why do you not recommend it? That’s how I have mine set up currently. If there are functional/reliability issues, I definitely want to know. I’ve tried it live fire and dry with two different types of dummy shells and haven’t experienced any problems with the shell on the lifter feeding and chambering or issues with the next shell being placed on the lifter after the trigger is pulled.
    Generally speaking keeping the magazine spring completely compressed leads to a shorter service life for that spring. Not a big deal if you change it regularly, but if it's getting toward the "iffy" part of the range while you are depending on the gun for defense, possibly a concern.

As I've said, I haven't seen a functional issue with this when it's done properly. "When it's done properly" being the operative part, there. It's a complicated manipulation and if gotten wrong could make getting the gun into action more difficult.

Given the nature of the typical defensive use of a shotgun indoors, I don't think the extra faff is worth it for the result. But that's just my opinion.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    At the time, those were the problem followers. Look back in this thread and you will see the problem and fix.
    Do you recommend fixing by trimming the spring or by replacing the follower with the Carrier Comp follower? (I think I found the right discussion, back around page 325.)

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    Do you recommend fixing by trimming the spring or by replacing the follower with the Carrier Comp follower? (I think I found the right discussion, back around page 325.)
    I changed the follower and it solved the problem.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I changed the follower and it solved the problem.
    Easy enough - thanks. Got one ordered.

Generally speaking keeping the magazine spring completely compressed leads to a shorter service life for that spring. Not a big deal if you change it regularly, but if it's getting toward the "iffy" part of the range while you are depending on the gun for defense, possibly a concern.

As I've said, I haven't seen a functional issue with this when it's done properly. "When it's done properly" being the operative part, there. It's a complicated manipulation and if gotten wrong could make getting the gun into action more difficult.

Given the nature of the typical defensive use of a shotgun indoors, I don't think the extra faff is worth it for the result. But that's just my opinion.
    Good to know. Do you recommend loading the tube fully and then hitting the shell release to get one shell onto the loader in order to save wear on the spring?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Generally speaking keeping the magazine spring completely compressed leads to a shorter service life for that spring.
    Is this where the consensus is back to in the gun world? "compression wears out springs" vs "compression/expansion repeated wears out springs"?

I've been in the latter camp for a decade or two now...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List