Page 620 of 680 FirstFirst ... 120520570610618619620621622630670 ... LastLast
Results 6,191 to 6,200 of 6792

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Assuming you don't try to feed it ammo it hates...which you kind of have to work at with a 1301...easily. You won't even need to replace the magazine spring in that round count, most likely.

A reliable semi-auto like the 1301 will feed itself reliably...except when the ammo doesn't work right or the user makes a mistake. I see user-induced stoppages on even good semi-autos because people don't know the manual of arms well enough.

A pump gun requires someone to run it properly. But it is simpler to run properly.

I don't see a significant advantage of one over the other for most people. It's about choosing what subset of problems you want to have. Most of the pump gun short stroking problems that exist are there primarily because pump guns come with stocks that are too long and force normal sized people into positions where they can't reliably deliver power on the pump. Once that is resolved and they learn to run the pump properly problems are usually few and far between.

Put it another way, I see less short-stroking of a pump gun in class than I see people who get their fingers in the way of the bolt closing properly when they hit the bolt release on a semi-auto.

A high quality semi-auto like the 1301 is going to digest a larger number of shells without parts breakage than an 870 or Mossberg 500/590. It will be easier to keep the bore clean enough so patterns aren't impacted due to the chrome lining. Etc. So if one is looking to put volumes of shotgun shells downrange the highest quality semi-autos are a better bet. It's not just speed that keeps most serious 3 gun users and clay busters running high quality semi-autos. High volume clay shooters will tend to migrate to break action guns simply because they don't have as many parts and thus don't break as often as repeating shotguns.

A high end Perazzi or Beretta over and under is probably about as reliable as it gets for shotguns. But they're not terribly useful for self defense. (Although you could do worse than a cut down over/under for defensive use. Even the DEA used a Beretta over and under for some missions)
    Now if someone's stature makes a pump not work well for them because they are too small, a semi-auto is a significant upgrade in reliability for them. I see those on occasion as well.
    Well that does it, I'm going with the 1301. I'm thinking of going with the 21" Comp. Especially since I use a Beretta Silver Mallard for hunting (though I lust after a new A400).

How many rounds would you say one should shoot stoppage-free through their 1301 (or any defensive shotgun) without any stoppages before considering it reliable enough for defensive use? Do you have any recommended loadings for this vetting process?
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 11-16-2022 at 08:10 PM.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    How many rounds would you say one should shoot stoppage-free through their 1301 (or any defensive shotgun) without any stoppages before considering it reliable enough for defensive use? Do you have any recommended loadings for this vetting process?
    If it will shoot three or four boxes of normal power birdshot without problem and it will feed whatever buckshot you want to use after that, it's fine.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    When you flipped your 2563, does it rotate once you seat the mag tube cover?

I have the GGG 2565 mount. When it's mounted "correctly" there is a scalloped portion that sits right up against the barrel to prevent rotation. If I flip it like yours, it'll rotate since the scalloped part is facing the wrong way.
    It has not rotated through two range sessions. I did use a small amount of blue Loctite on the GG&G aluminum magazine cover and tightened up the clamps. So far, so good.

How did they manifest?
    Based on the information you provided above, I believe that it was a failure to feed.

Thank you.

I remember that after realizing that a malfunction had occurred, that I felt into to the ejection port and felt a shell.

I pushed on the shell and it didn't give at all, so I presumed it was a live round.

I wasn't positive of that, so I pulled the bolt back and dumped it, released the bolt, tripped the carrier tab, ran the bolt again, and then finished the drill,

(One of the mistakes I made in planning the trip was getting their ammo package instead of shipping the birdshot, 00B, and slugs that I used. I can't recall having a failure to feed with my birdshot, the 00B they supplied patterned differently [read: worse] than mine [of course], and the slugs they supplied hit a different POI [of course].)
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

If it will shoot three or four boxes of normal power birdshot without problem and it will feed whatever buckshot you want to use after that, it's fine.
    Should I specifically start with normal power birdshot before shooting any buckshot, or does it matter?

Also, silly question, but what classifies as normal power birdshot? Just anything high brass? Or if you have a specific brand and loading in mind, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the information. Was listening to a P&S Modcast on shotguns earlier from a few years ago and I only figured out a few hours ago that you were on there.

Also wondering if I should go with the Comp or the Tactical. I like the Comp’s 21 inch barrel length and more “sporting” appearance, but does the Tactical have any potential advantages in operation?
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 11-16-2022 at 11:46 PM.

Should I specifically start with normal power birdshot before shooting any buckshot, or does it matter?

Also, silly question, but what classifies as normal power birdshot? Just anything high brass? Or if you have a specific brand and loading in mind, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the information. Was listening to a P&S Modcast on shotguns earlier from a few years ago and I only figured out a few hours ago that you were on there.

Also wondering if I should go with the Comp or the Tactical. I like the Comp’s 21 inch barrel length and more “sporting” appearance, but does the Tactical have any potential advantages in operation?
    Ghost Rings Standard. 1301T uses the aforementioned A400 Youth Receiver, which is smaller than the 1301 Comp receiver. Both guns only chamber 3" shells, but the 1301 Comp receiver is sized around a 3.5" shell (same receiver shared across all A400s, which includes things like duck guns).

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK View Post
    It has not rotated through two range sessions. I did use a small amount of blue Loctite on the GG&G aluminum magazine cover and tightened up the clamps. So far, so good.

If your using the barrel clamp, I’m pretty sure there won’t be any rotation. The loctite might is added security, but might be a little overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Ghost Rings Standard. 1301T uses the aforementioned A400 Youth Receiver, which is smaller than the 1301 Comp receiver. Both guns only chamber 3" shells, but the 1301 Comp receiver is sized around a 3.5" shell (same receiver shared across all A400s, which includes things like duck guns).
    Any idea why the Comp uses the receiver sized for the 3.5" and the 1301T uses the Youth? Is the Comp going to be as reliable as the 1301T?
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 11-17-2022 at 07:54 AM.

Beretta cheated with the 1301T. It doesn't handle like pretty much any other tactical semi-auto shotgun on the market, including the 1301C. The gun feels compact like SBS and handles fast. The 1301C handles like a full size 21" comp gun.

Buy what works best for you but understand Beretta doesn't do a good just explaining what makes the 1301T special and why it is different that other similarly marketed guns.

Any idea why the Comp uses the receiver sized for the 3.5" and the 1301T uses the Youth?
    Loading port length.

User Tag List