Page 119 of 678 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219619 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 6778

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical

My 1301s I've got have all been more reliable than my 870 (express I bought about 10 years ago and have upgraded a ton of internals to essentially make it a P model). In about 1200 rounds through the main one I shoot I've had one malfunction... It was toward the end of a class in June and it was bone dry, so I'll let it slide.

As much as I love the M2 (I had one for a couple years) and didn't have any notable issues (granted I didn't use it like I use the 1301 currently), I wouldn't trade the 1301 for an M2. There are factors that can affect inertia guns that don't seem to be present with gas guns. Adding things (side saddles, lights, etc) has negatively affected reliability of the M2 (not on every gun, but it has happened). I've also read of people having issues when using push /pull with inertia guns. Plus the 1301 is less expensive. To me personally I feel like it is a no brainer.

My wife, who is fairly recoil sensitive and not TOO into guns, took a 3 hour shotgun block that I taught and ran a 1301 like a champ. With the exception of about an hour of dry fire prior to the class, that was the extent of her shotgun experience. The learning curve is very short. No doubt she ran it infinitely better than she could a pump gun. If I have the option, I'll take the 1301 over an M2 or 870 any day.

Also, I've trained a LOT of shotgun with a lot of different instructors, and Chris Fry's class might be my overall favorite.
    Last edited by SpyderMan2k4; 09-08-2016 at 12:51 PM.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
    As a general proposition I don't know that any 12 gauge shotgun is a good choice for someone who isn't interested in guns and won't practice with it (compounded in the case of the person being small framed). That said, there are pluses and minuses for all three of your choices. In broad generalities, 1301 will recoil the least and will also be a lot lighter than the 870. Not sure how small your wife is but a fully loaded 870 is a pretty heavy gun. On the other hand, I find the 870's manual of arms more intuitive and easier to explain to a novice than a semi-auto shotgun, somewhat in the same way a revolver is easier to explain and handle than a semi-auto handgun. But again, consider looking at something else for your wife's emergency gun. AR15 or M1 carbine (if in a restricted state) come to mind.
    Living in NY doesn't offer a lot of other alternatives, unfortunately. She's about 5' 7" in good shape and 135 lbs. The 1301 with less recoil and being lighter sounds like it might be the winner. I'm not too worried about manual of arms or reloading. Realistically I'll leave it ready to go and she needs something she can shoulder, sight, and squeeze.

We live in an extremely safe, rural area, in central NY. Crime is basically non-existent. This is really for a lottery ticket type of event happening. Although, we did have some teenagers steal a few Gators from the John Deere in a neighboring town a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMan2k4 View Post
    My 1301s I've got have all been more reliable than my 870 (express I bought about 10 years ago and have upgraded a ton of internals to essentially make it a P model). In about 1200 rounds through the main one I shoot I've had one malfunction... It was toward the end of a class in June and it was bone dry, so I'll let it slide.

As much as I love the M2 (I had one for a couple years) and didn't have any notable issues (granted I didn't use it like I use the 1301 currently), I wouldn't trade the 1301 for an M2. There are factors that can affect inertia guns that don't seem to be present with gas guns. Adding things (side saddles, lights, etc) has negatively affected reliability of the M2 (not on every gun, but it has happened). I've also read of people having issues when using push /pull with inertia guns. Plus the 1301 is less expensive. To me personally I feel like it is a no brainer.

My wife, who is fairly recoil sensitive and not TOO into guns, took a 3 hour shotgun block that I taught and ran a 1301 like a champ. With the exception of about an hour of dry fire prior to the class, that was the extent of her shotgun experience. The learning curve is very short. No doubt she ran it infinitely better than she could a pump gun. If I have the option, I'll take the 1301 over an M2 or 870 any day.

Also, I've trained a LOT of shotgun with a lot of different instructors, and Chris Fry's class might be my overall favorite.
    Thanks for the insight, very helpful. My thoughts, without personal experience, run very similar to yours.

ETA - I've taken Chris Fry's small knife skills and definitely recommend that as well.
    Last edited by Shellback; 09-08-2016 at 01:15 PM.

On another note, has anyone muddled through the potential 922r issues with adding a mag extension to the 1301? I know a lot of people just don't worry about it, but I also recall that ToddG (maybe earlier in this thread?), who was actually a lawyer if I'm not mistaken, flagged it as an issue. Anyway, it occurred to me again because Beretta is now selling a version of the 1301 Tactical that has a Mesa Tactical pistol grip stock and a Nordic mag extension. So I would ass-u-me that Beretta is adding these parts once the guns arrive in the US and that they have thought about 922r:
    http://www.beretta.com/en-us/1301-ta...istol-grip-le/

Just bought the 1301 from Arms Unlimited. $799 no tax and free shipping. They have 1 left if anyone's interested: http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/583148928

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    That's where I got mine too.
    I scrolled through the last few pages and saw you and a few others did so I went with them. Thanks for the heads up!

My wife and 13 year old boy have shot the shit out of a M2 20 gauge in practice and 3-gun and neither one of them have had any issues with it.
    Neither one of them shoot my 1301 nearly as well.
    I'd pick a 20ga. M2 over a 1301 12ga. for a novice or smaller statured persons defensive shotgun any day.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Just bought the 1301 from Arms Unlimited. $799 no tax and free shipping. They have 1 left if anyone's interested: http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/583148928
    Congrats!

Question - did yours come with a rail? Mine did not. I've got an H-1 that is eager to find a home.

I have been debating taking it with a piece of metal rail to a local machinist/gun mechanic. Brownells has the rail I need on backorder.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Congrats!

Question - did yours come with a rail? Mine did not. I've got an H-1 that is eager to find a home.
    Thanks! It does have the picatinny rail and I plan on mounting an H-1 as well.

And I've already got a shipment confirmation on a bolt shroud. Thanks Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My wife and 13 year old boy have shot the shit out of a M2 20 gauge in practice and 3-gun and neither one of them have had any issues with it.
    Neither one of them shoot my 1301 nearly as well.
    I'd pick a 20ga. M2 over a 1301 12ga. for a novice or smaller statured persons defensive shotgun any day.
    Barrel length was a consideration as well and I prefer to go with the shorter barrel on the 1301. However, I'm definitely not adverse to checking one out in the future.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
    On another note, has anyone muddled through the potential 922r issues with adding a mag extension to the 1301? I know a lot of people just don't worry about it, but I also recall that ToddG (maybe earlier in this thread?), who was actually a lawyer if I'm not mistaken, flagged it as an issue. Anyway, it occurred to me again because Beretta is now selling a version of the 1301 Tactical that has a Mesa Tactical pistol grip stock and a Nordic mag extension. So I would ass-u-me that Beretta is adding these parts once the guns arrive in the US and that they have thought about 922r:
    http://www.beretta.com/en-us/1301-ta...istol-grip-le/
    Your answer regarding the factory offering is likely in the "LE". I'd have to review, but I think they get an exception on 922(r).

For me, it's the fly in the 1301 ointment. If the question of whether I am a law-abiding gun owner was ever to arise in a formal way, I would much rather be found to be in possession of a Hi Power with the magazine disconnect feature removed, which if I had one would be in the safe alongside various other firearms that never had one to begin with and maybe a Heckler & Koch operator's manual explaining how a magazine disconnect will get you kilt in tha streets, than of anything that is a clear violation of federal law.

User Tag List