Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: EMS training and the firearms instructor

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    Not sure about other jurisdictions, but here for paraphernalia to be paraphernalia is has to be found with the controlled substance or residue thereof. i.e.-needles, rolling papers, scales, etc. are not paraphernalia unless they are found in conjunction with a controlled substance.
    I agree with that and that is the rule of thumb that I follow, generally. Probable cause goes a long way, though, and the courts here don't require them to be together. I feel my case is much stronger when I have PC to show the use of the paraphernalia. My cursory reading of the federal statute indicates that the feds are under no such requirement, either. I wonder what the case law says...

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I agree with that and that is the rule of thumb that I follow, generally. Probable cause goes a long way, though, and the courts here don't require them to be together. I feel my case is much stronger when I have PC to show the use of the paraphernalia. My cursory reading of the federal statute indicates that the feds are under no such requirement, either. I wonder what the case law says...

pat
    The federal statute you linked doesn't cover possession. Also, the definition of drug paraphernalia requires proving that the item was designed or intended to be used with a controlled substance.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    The federal statute you linked doesn't cover possession. Also, the definition of drug paraphernalia requires proving that the item was designed or intended to be used with a controlled substance.
    Not to kick start this thread again in a negative way, I will stick to the original gist of this thread.

With training primarily LE and Military, I have had a clean track record so far. Nothing more than joints, sprains, cuts, heat etc...With our unit, someone with TEMS training or better is always present. We obviously have first responders in addition we have TEMS, EMT-B, and individuals who have ALS training via the US Army and their combat medic (live tissue) course.

My background is first responder, TEMS and the US Army combat medic course which I have been able to attend twice. I did not have the time to dedicate to the Federal EMT-B course that some of our guys go through and quite frankly I am not too disappointed in that. What I have taken away from all of the combined training is that some training is better than none. I also know that I am a hands on type of learner and the live tissue course (Swine) was BY AND FAR THE most valuable medic type training, possibly THE best training in any topic, that I have ever attended. It is one thing to read books and go through practice or "dry" training, but nothing can replace live tissue training, so if you ever have the opportunity for ALS live tissue training from a reputable organization, which is rare, go for it! I would sacrifice ALL other training I have been through on this topic, even any EMT, MICT, etc course for a high quality live tissue ALS course.

In the 11 day Army combat medic course, I learned more on the live tissue final, than I did in ALL of my prior training combined. I mean the practical application on live tissue completely blows away everything else. It is one thing to read it, stitch dead tissue, etc, but gun shot, knife wounds, blast wounds, suture, bleeders, amputated limbs, evisceration, femoral artery, decompression, chest tubes, carotid IV, buddy to buddy transfusions, chest crack and heart massage, etc, etc... is hard if not impossible to truly replicate on anything other than live tissue.

My experience with live tissue training was not "painful" to the animal as veterinarians and doctors being present monitoring the anesthesia, however indeed the animals were ultimately euthanized and for good reason. And no they would not let anyone use the meat for BBQ. Too much chemical and trauma to the animal. Unfortunately PETA made a big stink over the entire program which IMO is invaluable to those entrusted to save lives while potentially under fire. I would say without a doubt those who attended that course would be far less effective from the start if they did not get the live tissue portion of the training and without a doubt it saves lives. I would sacrifice many many swine if it allowed me to save but one human life.

ETA - One huge thing I took away from this and was amazing to me, is that the human body can sustain incredible amounts of damage / trauma and still survive. Prior to the training, I would have literally bet the farm that those animals COULD NOT survive the wounds inflicted. This etched in my mind to never give up and if initial treatment is obtained quickly and evac to a trauma center can follow in a reasonable time frame, the human body can survive a lot of damage. Of course after more than a decade of war, we really understand this.
    Last edited by Surf; 11-24-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Last Call for Gunshot Wound First Aid Class, Sun, Dec 8 in Annapolis, MD, + CPR AED

We have one opening left for the Dec 8 GSW, CPR, AED, First Aid Class at AAFG in Annapolis, MD.
    $75/person, 8-3:15. Taught by Baltimore County Fire and Medical Training. Complete with dummy that bleeds you can practice on.
    Includes bloodborne disease precautions. You get your CPR and AED card.

PM me or email me at cclaxton@verizon.net
    CC
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List