Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Glock Knuckle' fixes or remedies?

'Glock Knuckle' fixes or remedies?

Todd's latest post on Pistol-Training notes that he developed a case of the infamous 'Glock Knuckle' (intense soreness, irratation of the strong hand, middle finger's first knuckle) while shooting the Gen 4 G17.

Glock Knuckle has been something I've always had an issue with. My grip with the strong hand is very high, tight, and aggressive, which usually means I almost always have some degree of soreness in that knuckle (all I shoot, dry fire, carry and train with is a G17). I limit my daily dry fire manipulations to about 20 minutes/day (which is on top of ~200 rounds of weekly live fire drills), because any more, and I'll develop a big blister on that first knuckle within a week.

Occasionally my knuckle gets so battered and sore that simply acquiring a grip on my holstered G17 will make me wince in pain. When that happens, I have to either shoot WHO exclusively, or just focus on a carbine for a couple weeks until I heal. No amount of gauze or sports tape on the knuckle seems to help or prevent it.

I've been contemplating taking a dremel to my G17's trigger guard, as I feel even a small chamfer or radius on that sharp edge would help... but I still haven't developed the balls to take a power tool to my handgun. If anybody has done this, I'd love to hear about it/ see pictures. Any other 'Glock Knuckle' remedies (hardware or software-wise) anybody has would also be greatly appreciated.

Site Supporter
    I only get it when switching back to a Glock, after a month or so, it turns in to a callus.

Wrap some sandpaper around a small wooden dowel, about a 1/2 diameter dowel. Start with 80-120 grit and work your way to 200-600 grit. Finish with a buffer wheel on the dremel. Worked for me.

We are diminished
    I already have the callous. Most guns rub me in that same general spot.

The difference is that the Glock is hitting my knuckle or something and actually causing the joint itself, not the skin around it, to become pained. It only happens when I shoot a lot of rounds in one day but it's annoying. I'm seriously considering a little handiwork on the frame to relieve the area, but I'm sensitive to making a change to my "test gun."

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

The difference is that the Glock is hitting my knuckle or something and actually causing the joint itself, not the skin around it, to become pained. It only happens when I shoot a lot of rounds in one day but it's annoying. I'm seriously considering a little handiwork on the frame to relieve the area, but I'm sensitive to making a change to my "test gun."
    I did some work on mine in the same vein. I have the callous but it wasn't enough.
    #RESIST

I have hit them with a dremel many times for myself and others. It is a minute or two job.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

Well I understand the hesitation, but to Quote Tom Givens, " we carry plastic guns to make then the way we need them" ( or something to that effect)

I HAD to undercut the trigger guard on mine and Oh man it's SO much better now!!
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Dremel it.

I'll take a better pic later. Please share your modifications you implemented for this problem.

#RESIST

Gen 3 and later Glocks with the finger grooves seem to be worse in this regard. All my Glocks are Gen 2. For whatever reason, Glock knuckle seems worse to me in colder weather. I often wear a pair of thin Mechanix gloves when I am doing any prolonged shooting.

I would love to see and hear about solutions to this issue, since before recent QC events this is what kept me from buying a newer Glock.

User Tag List