Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting through cover, a light bulb moment

Quote Originally Posted by vmi-mo View Post
    Just a local 3 gun match outside of Richmond VA. Nothing high speed or uber cool. Just dudes who enjoyed shooting.

PJ
    were you at cavalier?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I know the look I see in my puppy's eye when she figures something out. I imagine vmi-mo looked exactly the same way.

Having said that, keep in mind that cardboard (and steel) targets don't move on their own. If you know exactly where it is, you can engage it with little worry even if it's obscured by something that won't stop a bullet. If that had been a real person, you might have been shooting into empty space or worse into a space recently occupied by a third (innocent) person.
    This would not be the first time I was compared to a puppy.

The actual practice of shooting through a barrier to kill someone is a grillion times more complicated than what I did. For me it was just like a proof of concept and the "ohh" factor that struck me.

Hopefully muj seeks shelter behind large blue 50 gallon drums in the open........

PJ

Quote Originally Posted by cdunn View Post
    were you at cavalier?
    Black Creek in Mechanicsville. Looking forward to cavalier though.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Were you shooting this stage with a carbine or handgun?
    Rifle, shooting 55grn PMC or PPU stuff at 80m

PJ

I use to live in Richmond and go to Black Creek, now I just make it to cavalier when I can talk Tim or Sam into bringing me.Hopefully I'll be moving back down there so I can try the monday night match also.

Thread reminded me of this scene... (R-rated graphic)

All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by vmi-mo View Post
    Hopefully muj seeks shelter behind large blue 50 gallon drums in the open........

PJ
    Muj will amaze you with their ingenuity, and stupidity. They have their own version of the "good idea fairy", and just like the American GIF, rarely does it produce good ideas.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I will suggest first of all that cover is defined as much or more by the incoming round than the covering object. But having said that this is something I noticed long ago when working with shooters. A trick I used to do at academy was give a student a training gun, then tell him to shoot me with it. The trick was I would hold up a sheet of typing paper in front of the gun. And 9 times out of 10, as long as I kept the paper in front of the gun they would not pull the trigger. I've seen it happen on the streets also. Investigated a shootout where the BG was hiding behind a cardboard box a refrigerator had come in. When I asked the officer why he didn't just shoot the guy through the box he said it had never occurred to him. Out of sight, out of mind!
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

User Tag List