Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: no more 147gr, how about 124gr?

no more 147gr, how about 124gr?

Doc, how do you like 147gr HydraShok?

I'm currently carrying 147gr Rangers, but picked up a couple of available boxes of the Federal last weekend. My LGS, which has kept their prices as low as they could through the craziness, has finally started getting something other than Hornaday CD in stock.

Oh how I miss the days of being able to walk into my LGS of choice and pick up as many 50 rd boxes of Ranger-T as I wanted. In hind sight, I should have grabbed more when I could.

ETA: if I've missed your coverage of Fed HydraShok in the sticky, just steer me there. No need to double up on the work you've already done.

We found the 147gr Hydrashock to be a poor choice for police duty issue.

That round would often clog on heavy clothing and fail to expand. At other times it would over expand, fragment and display poor penetration. We had a couple of OISs where we saw both of these extremes happen in the very same shooting.

As noted above.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...f-Defense-Ammo

"Bullet designs like the Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 15 or 20 years ago. These older bullets tend to plug up and act like FMJ projectiles when shot through heavy clothing; they also often have significant degradation in terminal performance after first passing through intermediate barriers. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs. The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydrashok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's."
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Doc: can you recommend any quality 9mm that stays subsonic (ie: some 147gr, etc)

Any of the 147gr loads on Doc's list would do that job.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Any of the 147gr loads on Doc's list would do that job.
    Correct.

Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Thinking back, I'm pretty sure I have never seen a supersonic 147gr loading, even from a sub gun.

Just a random thought passing through my ADD brain.

ETA; http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

Not trying to take over the thread but this seemed like a good place to ask. What is the opinion of the Golden Sabre 124 grain standard pressure. Local store has a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Not trying to take over the thread but this seemed like a good place to ask. What is the opinion of the Golden Sabre 124 grain standard pressure. Local store has a bunch.

Golden Saber comes bonded and non bonded. A Google search may turn up some of the old reports of jacket separation.

I know a retired copper from a department that issued the 124gr GS for their guys carrying 9mms. Although the jacket separation thing would happen in testing, he advised he never saw it once in any of their OISs.

User Tag List