Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Freelance HK P30 mag extensions

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Talked to Robin today, had several bits of news.

First is the plates. He's going to be switching over to 0.030" thickness stainless steel plates. Didn't ask him the alloy, but I'll trust his judgement on that for now.

Second, the first run of extensions is almost done. He'll be getting a second run in about two more weeks. He was curious as to how people felt about the coyote extensions, as BORTAC needs them to be coyote and they order a lot, so I told him that I was ambivalent about 'em
    My latest extension didn't have any engraving on the bottom. I haven't experienced any bent plates, but the sturdier material can't hurt as long as it's not going to interfere with insertion.

I'll pass on coyote extensions, I prefer my guns and mags black.
    I'll buy Krylon if I think I need a new exciting color for 2014.

The TF extensions haven't made it down this direction that I've seen.
    None of the BORTAC guys I shot the last 3-gun match with were using them (and they'd have been a big advantage in the match).
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The TF extensions haven't made it down this direction that I've seen.
    None of the BORTAC guys I shot the last 3-gun match with were using them (and they'd have been a big advantage in the match).
    Re-reading the emails, I think Robin meant that the BORTAC guys would be willing to buy a lot, but only if they came in coyote ("For example, Border Patrol wants this floorplate to be "Coyote Tan" to get along with their gear -- and they buy a lot of floorplates"; the tenses are a little ambiguous, I guess). As for his own feelings, he stated that "I'm ambivalent myself, trying to keep the Border Patrol happy without burning everybody else". Guess if you feel that you wouldn't want the coyote, send him an email and let him know.

I'll probably pick some of these extensions up soon. Thanks for posting your thoughts on them. Good to hear Robin is tweaking them to improve them. I'd prefer black as well, but coyote wouldn't be a deal breaker or anything.

I would prefer the lock plates be black as well instead of raw stainless.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I would prefer the lock plates be black as well instead of raw stainless.
    A bit of a necro, but I recently received new locking plates from Robin; he is now shipping the extensions with some kind of spring steel locking plates, which are coated black for corrosion resistance. They're suppose to be a step up in strength compared to the stainless steel locking plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    A bit of a necro, but I recently received new locking plates from Robin; he is now shipping the extensions with some kind of spring steel locking plates, which are coated black for corrosion resistance. They're suppose to be a step up in strength compared to the stainless steel locking plates.

I never had an issue with the aluminum locking plates but really didn't care for them. Always thought he should've used something a little more sturdy. Is it possible to snag a photo? I am interested in having a look at the new plates if you have the time. Thanks.
    Last edited by Mike C; 03-27-2016 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I never had an issue with the aluminum locking plates but really didn't care for them. Always thought he should've used something a little more sturdy. Is it possible to snag a photo? I am interested in having a look at the new plates if you have the time. Thanks.
    They don't really look all that different, besides being a nice matt black.

The silver is the old stainless steel. The black one that's not installed is one of the quick-release retainers that Robin sent me 'cause he ran out of solids (I needed 15 plates, Robin sent 12 solid ones and 5 quick-release), the idea is that you can remove the baseplate much faster with those, which can be useful if you're going to try and clean out your mags between stages or whatever. Thickness appears to be the same between the stainless steel and the new spring steel ones.

I was able to bend the beveled aluminum ones with a single drop on the concrete using empty mags (perhaps I was the reason Robin went to the stainless steel locking plates to begin with, since I was in correspondence with him on that issue). The stainless steel ones could still be noticeably bent after repeated drops on concrete while empty.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 03-27-2016 at 02:11 PM.

Awesome, thanks for the photos. I didn't realize that they ever upgraded to stainless before the spring steel ones. I'm going to have to buy some of these for my brother as an upgrade since he's still out running around on patrol with these on his duty belt. I am sure he will be happy.

Bringing this thread back from the dead to ask for reports on long term usage of the TF+5 extensions for the P30. Five of these came on magazines with a P30 upper I just bought and the extra capacity is tempting IF the magazine performance is not compromised. So any updates are appreciated.

I have a decent amount of these. 5 were installed in mid-2015 to early-2016. These are on my daily carry spare magazines and a set of three I keep in my center console. All were test fired with probably 200ish rounds through them with no issues, and when I refresh my carry ammo annually I test fire them with what was loaded in them for peace of mind.

I have another 16 of them which I placed in service in January 2020 on my dedicated training magazines, which are not treated nicely. This year they have been through three classes (including one where TD1 was non-stop rain) and seen approximately 12,490 rounds fired. I shoot primarily on grass or gravel ranges so they are not getting dropped on concrete or asphalt. I have had zero issues with them. In my P30L they are not all drop-free, which I believe is a tolerance issue between the locking plate and the backside of the magazine well which could be easily mitigated with a little bit of filing. No problems whatsoever with them in any of my VP9s.

User Tag List