Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Freelance HK P30 mag extensions

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Interesting.
    Can you feel any wiggle room in the joint between the magazine body and the extension?
    I'm trying to picture how those could bend without there being movement/slop at that joint.
    Both of my extensions were very tight going on my magazines, there's zero play at that joint and I haven't had anything bend yet.
    Yep, there is definitely wiggle room. There is some play even on the three other mags that are still fine, but it's very minimal, less than what the stock baseplate has, while the screwed up ones are very obvious. They still drop free most of the time when empty (not when full, though), and can still be reloaded most of the time with no issues, but who knows how far out the plates can bend...

Are you sure they bent from hitting the ground or are the plates catching on the back of the magwell on insertion?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Are you sure they bent from hitting the ground or are the plates catching on the back of the magwell on insertion?
    Fairly sure, yes. I didn't have this issue until yesterday, when the reloads were hitting the concrete. Before, I had practiced reloads at home (most recently was last Saturday) and in the booth area of the range, which meant the reloads weren't hitting bare concrete, but yesterday, I was in training in front of the booth area, on the range itself.

Robin sent me two new locking plates to try out, but I didn't get around to testing them until today. Ejected each one once onto the concrete, empty of course, and both had their retaining plate bent just like the prior ones. One was bent enough to not drop free anymore (both dropped free prior to the drop), the other must have landed better 'cause it still did. Dunno what the next step is, gonna see what Robin can think of. If worse comes to worse, I suppose I could always fab some retaining plates myself from a 7075 sheet (Robin stated that these were made from 3031, though I admit I haven't heard of that alloy before) and some Dremeling. I'm quite fond of these plates, but at 40 USD a pop, not sure I'd buy more if I had to fab my own retaining plates.

Weird. I'm doing the same thing you are and mine aren't bending at all.

*edit*
    I just now took one into the garage and ejected it 4 times onto my cement garage floor and it didn't do anything but scuff the anodizing.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-25-2014 at 10:37 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The three new ones did not come with the Taylor Freelance logo machined in.
    This is strange.
    I have 5 TF extensions ordered 1 or 2 at a time every week or two and every one of them has the logo on bottom.
    Are the plates bending on the logo'd extensions as well?

This is strange.
    I have 5 TF extensions ordered 1 or 2 at a time every week or two and every one of them has the logo on bottom.
    Are the plates bending on the logo'd extensions as well?
    Yep, both generations do it. Not sure if you just got a better batch of locking plates or what. I made a short video here:

Robin said that he was gonna go shopping for new aluminium tomorrow. Hopefully, it was just a bad batch, and the new batch will solve it. I've seen some people complain about the plate bending before on other forums, IIRC for the M&P and Glock plates, but very isolated incidents compared to the many people that have sworn their stuff is bulletproof.

Mine are all on P2000 magazines so there might be a slight difference between them and the P30 mags in dimensions or stiffness or... something?

Mine are all on P2000 magazines so there might be a slight difference between them and the P30 mags in dimensions or stiffness or... something?
    Maybe the extra tension from the 170 mm spring is the cause, since you're just using a Wolff USP spring? I'm kinda curious as to why the use the M&P 170 mm spring when they also have a custom spring for the 140 mm, seems that would be a better fit.

Talked to Robin today, had several bits of news.

First is the plates. He's going to be switching over to 0.030" thickness stainless steel plates. Didn't ask him the alloy, but I'll trust his judgement on that for now.

Second, the first run of extensions is almost done. He'll be getting a second run in about two more weeks. He was curious as to how people felt about the coyote extensions, as BORTAC needs them to be coyote and they order a lot, so I told him that I was ambivalent about 'em; I'd get a couple of 'em for my cool-guy Multicam ninja kit, but if that meant no more black extensions, then I'd rather just have only blacks and just hit them with Aervoe to get rid of the target indicator black.

Third, they are using 140 mm springs; there was a bit of a miscommunication, and they had thought they accidentally shipped some with the 170.

Finally, they're exploring making a P30 magwell, with the first prototype coming in in about a week or two. Robin said they'd be in between the size of the super lo-pro, like the Sentinel or ALG Glock ones, and the giant competition-only magwells. I'd be interested in one, maybe stick it on my open carry only P30LS (when I get it), but considering how the P30 already seems fairly easy to reload, I'd get one only if the price is right.

User Tag List