Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Taylor Freelance HK P30 mag extensions

I have run them in .40 on P2000 and P30 magazines as reloads for my P2000SK - I did no modifications at all and am getting extra four rounds without issues loading or feeding.

For grins was even able to mate them to an SK magazine and use the P2000 spring to getting a working 13 rd frankenmag. It looked "cool", but I did not like the transition from grip to the extension and moved them back to P30's again.

Quote Originally Posted by jehj View Post
    I have run them in .40 on P2000 and P30 magazines as reloads for my P2000SK - I did no modifications at all and am getting extra four rounds without issues loading or feeding.
    I'm curious as to whether I'll be able to get +5 out of these on my 9mm P2000 magazines, and if the limiting factor between +4 and +5 on the P2000 is the extra spring coils stacking up vs. a P30 magazine body.
    I have a +10% Wolff USP9 15 round mag spring in my box o' parts I may do some experimenting with when my extension gets here, it's considerably longer and stronger than a standard P2000 spring and a few coils longer and slightly stronger than a standard P30 mag spring. That spring might be just the ticket for getting a reliable +5 9mm from the extension on a P2000 mag body.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Installed the TF +5 on one of my P2000 9mm magazines today.
    I used a Wolff USP9 15 round +10% spring in place of the supplied TF spring.
    I'm able to load +5 fairly easily and insert it on a closed slide with a solid palm bump, wouldn't want to go +5 on a in battery reload under stress though because it's too tight for that.
    Feeds perfect and locks the slide back on empty.

18+1 9mm will make for a great nightstand pistol and should give me some options when shooting USPSA matches.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-23-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Thanks Jody. I am going to have to looking into this. I had a few P30 40SW mags that can hold 16 9mm rounds that have run flawlessly so far in P30 and a P2000sk. I was looking at using the P30 40 mags with the TF +5 and a P2000 mag as a reload for the SK when it can be used.

The P2000 +5 with X-grip works in my SK... looks funny (like a Glock 26 with a 17+2 mag) but works just fine.
    I'm buying another TF +5 and am going to use it hard (loaded to 18+1) in my range P2000 and see if anything breaks from long term borderline abuse.
    For now, on my nightstand P2000 I'm going to load it +4 (17+1) because +5 is a lot of added tension on the mag release.

I can live with 18 rounds of Corbon DPX on tap.

I have run 10 of them several times each with FMJ function perfectly. They do not drop free in several P30s, I have not filed on the back of the mag well edge yet.

Update I have run the same 10 TF mag extensions with Winchester Ranger 9mm 127 gr +P+. Ran flawlessly. I tested them through 4 HK P30 9mm LEMs.

Ordered three, two of them did not want to fit five rounds at first, had to disassemble and reassemble them, maybe it was just the spring (which is supposedly a custom Wolff spring made just for TF).

All three locked back fine using Freedom Munition 115 gr. 9mm; all three also fed Winchester Ranger 147 gr. just fine, too, with the whole 20+1 going. As JodyH noted, a reload with the slide in battery with a fully loaded magazine is far more difficult than it was with the stock set-up. Downloading by one, so that I only get 19 rounds, solves that problem easily, but I'll be sticking with 20 for now, since I don't foresee myself doing tactical reloads very often.

One did not want to drop free, the locking plate (guys at the range think it's actually aluminium rather than a mild steel) wasn't beveled enough, so I took a file to it and thinned it enough so that it would drop free. Doesn't seem to be too much stress on the locking plate in the first place, so I'm not very worried about it, but at the same time, the one I filed was relegated to being a glove box reload.

I had ordered 3 more, so I have a total of 6 baseplates. The three new ones did not come with the Taylor Freelance logo machined in. I also discovered today a potentially serious shortcoming: the beveled locking plates will bend on you if you drop them on the concrete, preventing the mags from falling free in the future, or even preventing you from being able to reload; this happened to three of my magazines while I was training at the range today. These were empty mags, dropped from normal reloads, so I did not feel that it was abusive in any way. I spoke to Robin over the phone (I think it was Robin, anyways), and he said that he had not heard of this issue before, and that he would be able to send me out some new plates after SHOT; he also stated he had some ideas on how he might be able to rectify that issue. For now, I'd be very careful about where you let the magazines fall.

The middle one is the most obvious one, you can clearly see how it's bent only on one side. The one on the left suffers the same issue, albeit less distinctively. The one on the right is rather even in how it is popped out from the magazine body. You can see more pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/aVGJ8#0

Interesting.
    Can you feel any wiggle room in the joint between the magazine body and the extension?
    I'm trying to picture how those could bend without there being movement/slop at that joint.
    Both of my extensions were very tight going on my magazines, there's zero play at that joint and I haven't had anything bend yet.

User Tag List