Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One knife or two?

We are diminished

One knife or two?

The "edc knife pic" thread got me thinking about this. There seems to be a philosophical difference between folks who carry something like a Clinch Pick as their only, all-purpose knife and folks who carry it solely as a defensive tool (and thus carry a separate knife, usually a folder, for general tasks).

I find myself very firmly in the first camp. Not only is the CP smaller, less obtrusive, and more discreet than a folder in most cases but using it as my everyday cutting tool means I get lots of practice drawing it both right- and left-handed under a variety of conditions. Sure, using it as a utility knife means I have to pay attention to keeping it sharp but that's just a quick task once a week or so.

Why do you carry one? Or two? (or, for the ninjas among us, eleventeen?)

I always carry an old beat up Mercator folder for everyday use, even if I am carrying a more "robust" knife. I figure if I loose it, no big deal. I also find it less threatening to take out around people who are not used to seeing knives carried for self defense. All depends on the circles I am traveling in.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

For a very long time legally one could not carry a fixed blade here. Even with a badge, which meant I could circumvent state law, the job disallowed fixed blades, so folders were what I carried, and still do.

I normally carry one on each side.

At work I also carry a "rescue" folder that has a window breaker tip on the butt, and a flat tip screwdriver point on the blade, which is partially serrated. This has proven to be a very useful bit 'o kit to have at work.

I prefer to have a knife that's dedicated to utility oriented tasks in addition to ones for dedicated defensive purposes. Reasons include time management to maintain each type, potential for loss, comparative alarm/annoyance/notice from others when out and about, etc.

I second tpd and JRC. Laws are tough enough, but drawing attention can often cause a ruckus even if you're doing something lawful.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

In my state, concealed fixed blades are considered naughty, so I carry four folders: two Emerson CQC-7's (wave feature), one clipped to the left pocket, one to the right; a Cold Steel Voyager (3" blade) in RF pocket; a Victorinox "Tinker" also in the RF pocket. The Tinker has occasionally useful tool-etts, the Voyager has a robust cutting blade, the Emersons are reserved for defensive purposes and have never been used.

When I started carrying my ZT 350, I had to clear it with security at several places. After awhile I got to know the head of security, I asked him if he wanted to see my new letter opener. He agreed that it was a fine letter opener and as such violated no on-site regulations.
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

Two for me: one for public consumption, and one that, while perfectly legal, is a bit agro in person. The specific tools vary with the passage of time, but that's the core concept. Right now it's big (very) and small (also very) folders, plus the occasional boker/nealy for sport coat days.

I always carry my Benchmade Griptilian front right, and multitool in the other pocket.

I'm just starting to get the CP worked into my carry, but I don't see it replacing my folder for general cutting tasks. There is a HUGE difference between whipping out a "normal" folder (even one of the more tactical looking ones) and whipping out a little odd-shaped dagger rig to open a box at the office. Many (if not most) men have some sort of folder, even at the office, and no one thinks anything of it. Nobody carries a fixed-blade though.

In my case, since I carry the multitool with a knife on it as well, I could drop the main folder in place of a CP as long as I don't mind fishing out the multitool for most utility cutting duties.

It may all be a moot point somewhat because in the most restrictive environment I'm in, the office, I don't have a good way to carry the CP yet. Freakin' tucked-in shirts...
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Clinch-pick and Spyderco Delica
    CP is strictly business. It's not very "gray man" to whip out a center line carried, aggressive looking fixed blade to open a box.
    The Delica 4 is about the largest folder you can carry while still being able to assert that it's just a utility knife.
    If you buy your Delica with colorful handles (baby blue or gray are my favorite because they blend with faded jeans) it looks even less threatening when you're slicing an apple.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List