Thread: So the wife wants her CHL....

So the wife wants her CHL....

Much to my surprise last night my wife looks at me and says "You know, I think I do want to get a CHL (concealed handgun license)." We've talked about it before but she's always been hesitant. She grew up in a small town and I guess would like to think that bad things don't happen, even though she knows better. She just doesn't like to think about the violence some people are willing to commit; for instance I showed her one of Southnarc's ECQC videos and she was immediately uncomfortable, I think she doesn't even want to contemplate me or anyone else being in a confrontation like that.
    She's always been OK with me carrying (the last 2 years or so) if not exactly enthusiastic. A few incidents that occurred to us and some friends, having our daughter, and the fact that nothing bad (accidents,etc) have happened since I started carrying have warmed her up a bit.
    I'm thinking if she's serious I'll get her out to the range for some re-familiarization (should have done a long time ago), then into a 1/2 or 1 day course, preferably geared for women (got a couple of local options on this). As much as the actual shooting stuff she needs some good training on mindset,awareness, avoidance, etc. so I'll need to take that into account also.
    If any of you have gone through a similar process and have some helpful thoughts or ideas I'm all ears.

I have no direct experience here, but Gila Hayes (among others) has written books on self defense for women. Those are great places to start IMO. Hopefully your wife will realize that SHE is the one more likely to face these situations, as she is a more preferable target for the scum that is out there. With the right mindset, she will get a lot out of the books, videos and classes.

I am sure others will chime in here with more substantial input.

My wife has done a lot of reading at Cornered Cat and really likes the information provided there.

I'd recommend watching this video to help demonstrate that she can still wear fashionable clothing without sacrificing her ability to carry concealed.

That is a good web site - Kathy is one of the instructors for Gila's women's only classes as well.

D'oh..can't believe I didn't think of Kathy Jackson's site, I just read Lessons from Armed America not too long ago (great book BTW).
    I'll check it out as well as Gila Hayes.

User Tag List