Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's in your spare mag(s)?

My spare mag is full of hope, desperation and furious anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    124 grain Gold Dots in both the gun and spare mags.
    ^^^This. Spare mag has an Arredondo mag extension.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Barnes DPX solid copper HP's in every mag I keep loaded. No worries about barrier penetration or naked performance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    For just plain shooting through "barriers" (except for tracking straight through windshields...), that is likely the best choice, and far better than ball.

Saw testing where the guys were using 16 gauge sheet metal instead of the FBI spec 20 gauge. The 9mm 115gr DPX as loaded by Cor Bon went 7" into the gelatin after the sheet metal. One guy points out that 7" isn't a enough to insure incapacitation in a bad guy. True but of note is that none of the other standard lead core JHPs bullets tested even made it through the metal to hit the gel.

What did that tests prove in real life? I dunno, but Barnes bullets get through a lot of sheet metal.

A few years ago, I heard that the Barnes .44 magnum JHP did not penetrate well. I am wondering why the Barnes service pistol calibers seem to penetrate well compared to other service loads, and why the .44 Barnes didn't do so well in this regard?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A few years ago, I heard that the Barnes .44 magnum JHP did not penetrate well. I am wondering why the Barnes service pistol calibers seem to penetrate well compared to other service loads, and why the .44 Barnes didn't do so well in this regard?
    Compared to what?

With the .44 that might be comparing the penetration results from the Barnes vs something like a hard cast 300gr buffalo stomper. The penetration in meat between those two bullets would be dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    No idea on the .44, but I shot a big (200#+) feral hog straight through the shoulder "armor" at around 25 yards with a Federal 140gr. Barnes Expander .357mag out of a 4" S&W 66 that then went on to exit through the opposite shoulder leaving behind some impressive destruction. I didn't recover the bullet, but the wound path showed obvious expansion and the penetration was phenomenal.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobalt60 View Post
    My spare mag is full of hope, desperation and furious anger.
    Dude, "candy cane" loads are so 1980s...

Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Reitz addressed shooting through barriers a lot. His/their experience was that most ball ammo is loaded to lower velocities than premium hollowpoints. They initially tried FMJ and found that modern JHP's worked better.

What's in my spare handgun mag? Same thing that's in my primary. Winchester Ranger 147 grain bonded JHP / Q4364.....

124gr + P Gold Dots.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List