Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What's in your spare mag(s)?

Spare mag??? What is that? When I feel the urge to carry a spare it is the same as the ammo in the gun, really don't see a need for anything different. And the CCI 200-grain flying ashtray is still my preferred round when using the .45.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

In the past I often carried something besides what was in the gun as a reload.

In the revolver days I had a speedloader full of that old school Winchester "metal piercing" ammo on my belt. When I was carrying a 9mm off duty and all that was available was loads such as 115gr Silvertip, 9BP and 9BPLE, etc., I carried a magazine of quality ball as one of my reloads (remember when most of the ammo makers loaded high quality ball ammo, with sealed primers, etc.?)

When our issued rifle ammo at work was 55gr SP I always had a mag or two of ball as my reloads.

Most recently I carried an extra magazine and speed strip of ball when I had to take a trip to NJ and was legally stuck with having EFMJ in my Glock 19 and wadcutters in my 638.

It only makes sense when for whatever reason you can't have something on Doc's duty ammo list loaded in your gun. When you can it's actually stupid to do otherwise.

What's in your spare mag(s)?

I didn't do a very good job of explaining the situation, and inadvertently got a good instructor (who will remain unnamed) flamed.

Some additional info, in an attempt to clear things up:

1. The mention of the "chip aisle" was his example, used for imagery (a barrier that we all encounter many times throughout our days). He was quick to point out that even if you can see the BG over the top of the metal shelving, a cubical, checkout counter, etc., you may not see someone shorter than the BG/barrier on the other side (hostage/innocent bystander). At no time did he ever suggest shooting blindly, and in fact, he warned of shooting through barriers, period. He stressed several times to the students in the other course (who were in their first formal course; our course was taking a break) that "you have to know what's behind what you are shooting at" (one of "The Rules"), as well as if you can't position yourself to shoot with a solid backdrop, you need to really consider whether escalating is necessary for the situation (i.e. Can you break contact safely, etc.). This was explained to them in the context that bullets will travel through humans and many intermediate barriers (hence the demo). It may not be the whole bullet, but fragments can kill and seriously injure.

Was the "chip aisle" the best example? Maybe not, but it was something that everyone could envision, and was followed by an explanation as to why shooting through barriers can be necessary at times, yet always dangerous.

2. This instructor wasn't an "ass clown", wanna be "cool kid" instructor like some folks have quickly come to judgement was the case (admittedly based on a poor explanation on my part). They are out there, that's for sure, but he ran a great course for my friend and I. Didn't matter if you were new on Team Firearm, or high speed, low drag (I'm medium speed, moderate drag at best) he always stressed "The Rules", knowing what you are shooting at, and having a good idea of your surroundings (inclusive of where threats may come from, where you can find cover, getting off the X, and where "no shoots" may be) at all times. He also stressed that in a situation, you may have a problem differentiating between threat and innocent, so you had to be sure your choice to draw/fire was the appropriate response, to the appropriate target, at the appropriate time, always saying that breaking contact with the threat was the safest option if available...

"you can't call a round back"...came up several times in our time with the instructor, as we were working on cleaning up our hits at between 5 and 7 yards. If we dropped a shot out of what I'm pretty sure was a 6" box, center mass, we slowed down until we could work that hit in at speed. (I know it's not blistering or ultra high-level shooting prowess, but I was able to draw from AIWB and get 7 hits in the box in 3.69 seconds with my P30...that surprised me, and I could get more with practice).

The context around the mag loaded with FMJ, was more for those who may carry multiple reloads. He said that if you're carrying multiple reloads, some people choose to have something other than hollow point or frangible ammo, as a secondary or tertiary reload (not your primary reload, in its normal place). He felt like that's up to the individual and reiterated the negatives to the newer shooters. He also pointed out that good SD ammo is generally the best option.

I'm not arguing the points made by everyone who responded, they were made based on poor information on my part. I'm just attempting to better explain the context of the conversation he was having with the folks in the other course. I did not do a good job of this earlier, and feel like the OP got sideways due to that.

For someone like myself that carries one reload 95% of the time, it doesn't make sense to have multiple ammo types. Further, I'm in the "all mags that are loaded, are loaded with [insert defense ammo of choice]" camp. I don't leave the range with mags loaded with FMJ. My range mags are loaded with my defense ammo, as extra mags, and my carry mags are only shot a couple times per year with my carry ammo.

Anyways, thanks for the discussion. Just wanted to try to explain a little better.

NOTE: Edited posts brought to you by autocorrect and Tapatalk
    Last edited by BoppaBear; 10-26-2013 at 07:00 PM.

I have range mags squirreled around all over the place, in all of my cars and the truck, in my range bag, in the console of my cop car....

All of those mags are loaded with factory ball ammo. I often get to do short practice sessions, so having loaded mags makes that far easier to do.

That these mags might get grabbed if I end up in North Hollywood part 2 is not lost on me, but at that point if I am using ball ammo then so be it.

Just carry a .45. That way you don't need reloads. Everyone knows .45 will still show efficacy, even if you miss.

Rainbows, kittens, & sunshine

The pistol and spare magazines I carry will be loaded with the same ammunition, HST 124+P or Gold Dot 124+P. Like someone stated earlier I also carry plenty spare magazines in my vehicle loaded with FMJ in order to take advantage of quick trips to the range.

I will often carry FMJ in a spare mag or LSWC and snake shot if carrying a revolver. I figure in my lifetime and lifestyle I stand a better chance needing to shoot a snake or something random like an armadillo or something. I dont guess I carry for reload purposes as much as an alternate load.

Quote Originally Posted by BoppaBear View Post
    Anyways, he mentioned that he often carries a mag with his preferred SD HP in it, in the gun, and his reload is often a mag loaded with FMJ. Reasoning behind that was for light barrier penetration if the option was needed. His example was in a convenience store, and needing to penetrate "the chip aisle".
    I wonder if he's ever actually compared quality JHP to FMJ in different mediums (potato chips and car doors for instance)? I'm gonna guess no.

I agree it's hard to take seriously someone who uses what's at best a long outdated mindset. Makes me question everything they and their partners would teach.

ETA - Saw the final explanation. That helps but I still don't agree with giving such ideas any more time than "this is what some folks do and here's my best explanation on why it's wrong."
    Last edited by Lomshek; 10-31-2013 at 11:07 PM.

User Tag List