Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
...so maybe my caution is misplaced.
I would say it is. For almost 20 years (1985 or so to around 2004/2005), my agency was host to the U.S. State Department's ATAP program. Basically, the US government paid to bring foreign police officers, from whatever country our government was trying to get cozy with at the time, for a six weeks' crash course in How To Be A Better Po-Lice; Tactically. We provided room, board, and training facilities. Contractors conducted the training, although a few of us became adjunct instructors, able to take annual leave to play. Without going into a lot of detail, the handgun shooting portion was extensive; probably 2000 rounds per student. We averaged three of these classes a year, sometimes more.

For almost ten of those 20 years, the handguns used were P228s. I was involved with maintaining those guns, since they were stored in our armory, and few of the contractors who ran the classes were Sig armorers. When I left the FTU, those pistols had been literally shot loose, and rattled worse than any worn-out 1911A1 I had seen in the army. But they still held groups, and still functioned fine. A few were deadlined for this and that (mainly breakage from clumsy, ham-handed students dropping them, etc.) but all I really did was keep up with spring replacement schedules.

LSP 552 became the project liason guy/director after I left the academy, and I understand he set up an armorer program for them (they switched to G17s a couple of years before the program was moved to Arizona).

My point here is, there were fifty or so of those P228s that had the literal shit beat out of them for a very long time and very high number of rounds, without dying.

I would get a few extra parts that might be getting scarce, like a trigger bar, locking block, and decock lever (assuming those parts are different from the P229- I have no idea), recoil/trigger bar/decocker springs (again, if different from the P229), firing pin & spring, and shoot it to your heart's content.