Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: standard pressure Buffalo Bore quality

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    They're also NJ legal where HPs are prohibited.
    I keep forgetting that parts of this once-great nation are now Occupied Territory. What a crock... but yes, I can see that advantage as well. Definitely better than ball or RNL, for sure.

Only two things have kept me from converting to that BB 150 gr waddy load for my Js: one, the continually expanding track record of the 135 gr GDHP +P along with the old (but long) track record of the Remington LSWCHP+P and, two, the fact that I can't shoot lead in my range to check them out.

But I like the idea.

So far as BB QC, I have become a fan of BB's muscle car-esque version of the FBI load alluded to above; that's just nuts out of a 4" K-frame. Enough to give the old RCMP load serious envy. Wish I could afford to *really* stock up.

So far 20 rounds downrange with no issues.
    Recoil is stout in my Scandium J, more than Black Hills wadcutters but less than Winchester +P's.
    After zeroing my LG-105 laser grips with 5 rounds I put 5 rounds into a 2"x2" card at 12 yards (12 is my favorite zero distance).
    5 more rounds rapid fire to check for pullet pull (all good), then 5 rounds under low light to see what kind of flash they had (very minimal).
    I hereby declare them GTG (because my hand can't take shooting another box of them).
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

^^^

Somewhere, in the dim recesses of my Freudian Id, a voice keeps trying to encourage me to break out a DAO charter bulldog, just to be able to lug around the rip-snorting, 200gr .44spec version of BB's FWC in secret. That would be like throwing lead teacup saucers at 900fps sideways; only the fact that charter bulldogs are sort of retarded by today's standards stops me. Damn ego.

I have extensive experience with Buffalo Bore standard pressure Item # 20C 158 gr. LSWCHP factory ammo.

QC is excellent in all I have used. Average MV from the two LCR revolvers in 827 FPS. Recoil is stout from the lightweight revolver, but not intolerable. The load is accurate and POI is about 1" above POA at 15 yards from both revolvers. The bullet used is very soft and barrels show lead buildup after only 15-20 rounds.

I worked up a load in .38 Special cases with an Oregon Trail hard cast LSWC (not HP) using W231 powder that gives me virtually identical MV's and POI at 15 yards. This allows me to use the handload for practice without getting a lead buildup in the barrel of the revolvers, but I can carry the BB ammo for carry loads.

Hope this information helps.

My old friend Gene Wolberg recommended carrying wadcutters in airweight guns 30 years ago. He had seen quite a few shootings, both intentional and accidental with them, and had noted the penetration and tissue cutting abilities of those benign looking little slugs. I still carry them in my Airlite Ti gun today. I know that they'll penetrate sufficiently, and I know exactly where they're going.

I think a lot of folks would be better served with WC's in their lightweight .38's.

Quote Originally Posted by Im51504ID View Post
    My old friend Gene Wolberg ...
    Now, there was an interesting fellow to chat with.

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Im51504ID View Post
    I think a lot of folks would be better served with WC's in their lightweight .38's.
    I tend to agree after seeing a few shootings where wadcutters were used.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Now, there was an interesting fellow to chat with.

RIP.

Indeed. Did far more to advance the science of wound ballistics than he'll ever be given credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I tend to agree after seeing a few shootings where wadcutters were used.
    Except for those who work in the field like yourself, it still seems to be a well kept secret though. I still give them to friends and family members who are incredulous that they will work as well as they do.

I have to laugh when I think back of all the 148 grain wadcutters I shot in PPC, while switching to ammo like 110 Super Vel's for "business ammo". We didn't know what we didn't know.

User Tag List