Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: standard pressure Buffalo Bore quality

standard pressure Buffalo Bore quality

Anyone have any experience with Buffalo Bore's standard pressure .38 special 150gr. wad cutters?
    I'm running low on full wad cutters (carry load in my Scandium J-frame) and these are the only thing I can find in stock consistently.
    I'm not interested in their +P ("proof load in every box") line of ammo, just this particular standard pressure hard cast wad cutter.
    How's their QC?
    Looking to use this until Black Hills 148gr. wad cutters are back in stock.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Buffalo Bore's standard pressure .38 special 150gr. wad cutters?
    I'm running low on full wad cutters (carry load in my Scandium J-frame) and these are the only thing I can find in stock consistently.
    I'm not interested in their +P ("proof load in every box") line of ammo, just this particular standard pressure hard cast wad cutter.
    How's their QC?
    Looking to use this until Black Hills 148gr. wad cutters are back in stock.
    I use Buffalo Bore ammo when I can't get Double-Tap's +P SWC. The Buffalo Bore stuff is rad, with excellent QC to my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    The Buffalo Bore stuff is rad...
    I believe that is the first time I've ever seen that word used to describe ammunition. What, exactly, do you mean?

Aside, of course from the "proof load in every box"... No kidding re that.

I'm running low on full wad cutters (carry load in my Scandium J-frame) .
    Curious to know your reason for using WCs instead of a +P JHP.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

Out of one of the helium-weight snubbies, a full WC is a lot more pleasant to shoot and will still deliver sufficient penetration. There won't be any expansion to speak of, but a hard lead WC that penetrates 16 inches AND you'll actually practice with is a pretty solid choice.

Also, "rad" when used in this context means "excellent."

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    The heavy wadcutters shoot nice groups that match up to the fixed sights.
    The only HP bullet I really trust in .38spcl. is the Barnes XTP solid copper and they occasionally keyhole out of my model 360.
    Recoil in a 12oz. boot gripped J-frame is hella-stout with +P's, the standard wadcutters make for much faster more accurate follow up shots.
    Non-Barnes HP's are iffy on penetration/expansion in a <2" barrel J-frame, the wadcutter cuts a nice deep hole every time.
    My reload is Ranger SXT +P's for the easier loading bullet profile (and accuracy in my 360), but my first 5 are wadcutters.

In my 640 Pro 2-1/8" all steel J-frame I carry the Wilson Combat/Barnes XTP .38 +P's.
    They shoot great out of it and penetrate/expand exactly like the brochure pictures.
    Last edited by JodyH; 10-22-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

Also, "rad" when used in this context means "excellent."
    I see. Thanks.

The heavy wadcutters shoot nice groups that match up to the fixed sights.

Recoil in a 12oz. boot gripped J-frame is hella-stout with +P's, the standard wadcutters make for much faster more accurate follow up shots.
    Okay, I'll buy those... especially the second one. Trust me, I know all about recoil in an AirLite; I've been carrying and shooting one since 2001.

Still, as I use mine for a back-up and not primary, and I seriously doubt I'll have time to use sights if I must deploy it, I choose to go with a bit more grunt behind the bullet. The 158 LSWCHP +P out of snubbies has been dropping folks for a long time.

But I can see the logic behind using factory wadcutters.

Site Supporter
    They're also NJ legal where HPs are prohibited. I've been there four times this year teaching armorer courses and used them for my 642. I normally prefer the CCI 135 GDHP in this revolver though.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I also tried the BB wadcutters before I went to NJ for carry in my 638. Shot to the sights, non +P level of recoil, everything went bang. I only had 60 rounds to work with though.

Tom Givens noted that this load shoots to the sights in one of his Cobras so he uses it for the carry load in that gun. Article was in one of his Rangemaster newsletters.

User Tag List