Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't decide which one to get...

I can't decide which one to get...

after too much research and learning I still can't decide what I want. I suppose it's time to ask the experts

Predicament:
    HK45
    HK45C
    P30
    M&P 9mm or .45ACP ( no compacts )
    1911 ( government )

HK45:
    I really wanted it but decided it's just too large for me to conceal due to my size.

HK45C:
    I kinda like the idea of the HK45C but they should of made it like the P30. I hate those finger magazine designs. I've seen the flat floor plates but I'd honesty rather just get a P30 with the ergo grip.

P30:
    I feel like it's a great gun for what I want, should feed hallowpoints reliably. I heard the grip chafes peoples sides. Which would conceal easier, 1911 or P30?

M&P:
    I really dislike like the idea of a striker action concealed carry
    I shoot it well
    low-bore axis
    good bang for the buck

1911:
    I've read it conceals well fullsized, like that
    may not feed hallowpoints reliably
    9mm hallowpoint vs .45ACP FMJ?

reasons:
    .45ACP vs 9mm
    Weight
    Striker vs Hammer
    Size
    Old vs New

.45ACP vs 9mm:
    I've put a lot of research into this subject and I still can't say which is "better". I know it comes down to shot placement and all handguns are "underpowered". I'm still

Weight:
    Polymer vs Metal
    Polymer seems like better technology
    Metal is legit

Striker vs Hammer:
    I like the idea of Striker, in the gun ( less likely to be interfered with? )
    Less moving parts I've read ( True? )

Hammer:
    I feel holstering a hammer action handgun would be safer, keeping my thumb on the hammer making sure I'm not pulling the trigger somehow.

Size:
    I want to conceal a weapon without it being ridiculous
    "Carrying a concealed firearm is not supposed to be comfortable; it's supposed to be comforting."
    I don't really want to have to dress around it, I want to be able to conceal with just a tshirt because I feel I won't carry as much as I should unless I can. Arizona Heat..

so now it basically comes down to
    HK45C
    P30
    1911 ( here's another one commander vs government )

If you made it through my thread, Thank you.. hopefully you don't feel like I do.

P30....15rounds of 9mm....downright work horse

I'm biased though.

There is relatively little difference in the terminal performance of 9mm and .45 ACP when using modern JHPs if hard barrier performance isn't a high priority. I would generally stick to 9mm unless somebody else is paying for your ammunition as you'll be able to shoot cosiderably more and be able to enjoy the additional proficiency that comes with trigger time.

Given your options and concerns, the P30 is a solid choice.

What are your plans with it? It sounds like you're looking for a carry gun, correct? How much handgun experience do you have? What else do you own?

Personally I would shit can the 1911 idea.

Do you get free ammo from your department, and/or make lots of money, and/or reload? If not, than I would look at 9mm's such as the M&P9 or the P30. They're both good guns, so flip a coin.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    What are your plans with it? It sounds like you're looking for a carry gun, correct? How much handgun experience do you have? What else do you own?

Personally I would shit can the 1911 idea.

Do you get free ammo from your department, and/or make lots of money, and/or reload? If not, than I would look at 9mm's such as the M&P9 or the P30. They're both good guns, so flip a coin.
    Home Defense, Concealed Carry, Hobby

Yes, I'd like to be able to carry the gun the majority of the time. I'm not looking to carry at first until I'm competent in doing so though.

I have no real handgun experience. I've only shot friends handguns and rentals.

Rifles, nothing extravagant

Why no go on the 1911?

I'm not a LEO, I don't make a lot of money, and I don't reload. I'm okay with the 9mm in all honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by JRas View Post
    Why no go on the 1911?
    Extremely maintenance intensive compared to more modern designs.

A 1911 can be a good gun, but I think Larry Vickers put it well in saying that you pretty much must become your own armorer if you want to run a 1911 seriously.

I could almost guarantee the Scottsdale Gun Club will have each for rental. You might consider shooting each first.

P30.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Of the choices listed, i would go with the P30.

Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    Extremely maintenance intensive compared to more modern designs.

A 1911 can be a good gun, but I think Larry Vickers put it well in saying that you pretty much must become your own armorer if you want to run a 1911 seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I could almost guarantee the Scottsdale Gun Club will have each for rental. You might consider shooting each first.

P30.
    They do, I've already shot them with the exception of the HK45C.

I would strongly urge you to check out the M&P45 mid-size w/ apex parts. It brings together all of the factors you speak of in a very nice package. GandR Tactical offers them w/ apex parts pre-installed.

User Tag List