Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Posted this in the staff section last week,figure full disclosure here is appropriate

Posted this in the staff section last week,figure full disclosure here is appropriate

Several weeks ago we got the call to jump in the Med chasing after some pirates. Consolidating forces from four different countries to consolidated into a trio of airplanes to Junp boats and dudes into the middle of 10' seas with 21-15 gusting mph winds is a treat in and of itself. But the time we jumped, it was pitch black.

Each grind survives the jump, seeing is was pitch black by the time we left the aircraft. Recovering everyone safe and and sound, somehow we Managed to link up with the parties involved and complete the mission.

Sadly in hindsight, it occurred me I am no longer physically able to continue. I hung my Armor, racked my rifle, cleared and safed my pistol, and had to say time for me to walk away from 22 years in the field. I'll still have some time to get my shit together and ride a desk before they let me retire.

But ultimately, I have lost faith in my ability to execute the mission. Or commander's intent. I won't hazard my guys do to my ego.

With a heavy heart, I am standing down from my position leading men into the mix anymore.

I'm sure I'll find purpose and meaning. Most important of which, spending some time with my family.

Those who know me have my contact info and I'm always happy to help.

Until that day then.

Until that day.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 05-13-2016 at 06:55 PM.

Thank you so very much for your many years of sacrifice, and dedicated service.

Signed,

A grateful nation.

You did your time, your service and went into harms way enough to satisfy any requisite any man could have.

Sit back, relax, drink some whiskey and teach the new guys how it's supposed to be done.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

A tough decision brother, but the right one.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Definitely a hard decision but you're doing the right thing. And remember, you're never too old to teach, and there will be young soldiers that can benefit from your knowledge and experience.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Several weeks ago we got the call to jump in the Med chasing after some pirates. Consolidating forces from four different countries to consolidated into a trio of airplanes to Junp boats and dudes into the middle of 10' seas with 21-15 gusting mph winds is a treat in andof itself. But the time we junoed, it was pitch black.

Each grind survives the jump, seeing is was pitch bkack by the time we left the aircraift. Recovering everyone safe and and sound,!somehow we Managed to link up with the parties involved and complete the mission.

Sadly in hindsight, it occurred me I am no longer physically able to countue. I hung my Armor, racked my rifle, cleared and safes My pistol, and had to say time for me to Walkaway from 22 years in the field. I'll still have some time to get me shit together and ride a desk before they let me retire.

But ultimately, I have lost faith in my ability to execute the mission. Or commanders intent. I won't hazard my guys do to my ego.

With a heavy heart, I am standing down from my position leading men into the mix anymore.

In sure I'll find purpose and meaning. Most inpotnsnt of which,!spending some time with my family.

Those how know me have my contact info and im always happy to help.

Until that day then.

Until that day.

Sean - I have said this before, but it cannot be overstated. Men like you are an unbelievably rare breed of human being. You have a core, a soul, that is totally unique. I wish there were a DNA test, a blood test, some way to isolate whatever it is that makes you that way. If there were a way to do that, the world would be a much better place. Thank you, Sir - for risking your life so many times for what I feel is one of THE most noble reasons - so that others can taste freedom. I am extremely grateful for all you have sacrificed - for so long - for all of us. Welcome home.

Everyone is going to tell you good job, your service earns you more than you realize, ect. It's all true, too. I'm going to touch on a slightly different but related tidbit:

Did you leave your unit with someone capable in charge? Did you train them, or others you had contact with, so they have to tools to be successful and continue growing?

If so (and I'm sure that's the answer), then enjoy retirement.

Lots of people are good at their job; that earns them the right to stay. However there's nothing worse than having some old fuck who won't train the newer guys because they feel threatened by their age and their coping mechanism is to make every effort to make themselves indispensable by not empowering the next up in line. That shit happens A LOT. A whole fuck ton, IME. If you empowered them, then you more than earned your way out...you earned the right to know you left them as best you could, and you should relish that fact (and finally go take a break for once )

I can't imagine what a rollercoaster your life must've been, and how it feels to be in your position. Not a whole lot of people live that life; even fewer retire from it. That's pretty awesome, dude.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I am sure that is hard to let go of. Best of luck to you with the transition. You have certainly paid your dues.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

I hope this will give you more time and energy to share your hard earned wisdom with the rest of us.
    Last edited by BJJ; 05-13-2016 at 08:40 PM.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Wow, that is a hard pill to swallow. All respect to you for recognizing the issue and taking the appropriate actions.

User Tag List