Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: IS Leader al-Baghdadi Killed in US Raid

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'm of the belief that personalities actually matter far more than ideals. For instance, Admiral Jack Fisher once noted that King Edward VII considered the merit of ideas based more on the person presenting them than the idea itself.
    And again, when Hitler was seen as lucky and successful, people flocked to his bandwagon. And when he failed, they couldn't wait to pretend that they were never ever Nazis at all.
    I'm going to go a bit more into this. We hear all sorts of romantic nonsense about the Power of Ideas and sundry, but personalities are far more important to actually reaching the realization of Ideals.

Consider something on the small scale- a club devoted to some sort of noble endevour, or a lay ministry at a church, or any similar small group.
    What you often find is that you'll have one or two people who really drive the thing along, and the rest of the folks just go along driven by that person's passion & energy.
    But, should that person leave, and if they are not replace by someone of similar drive and energy, that club often will fall apart and fade away- no matter how noble the ideas that originally drew the group together.

Or consider some of the small gun related businesses that work in a similar way, and how they pretty much go bust once the person who started things retires or otherwise moves on.

Now having said that, while personalities often drive the movement, yes, ideals often drive the personality. But very few people are actually able to put the ideals into actual practice, or influence others to actually do something.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Time to break some shit down, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I applaud the skills of our military.

Of course, with thousands of men ready to take his place, the death of this one man means absolutely nothing to the actual security of this country or the safety of its citizens beyond a month or two.

https://fabiusmaximus.com/2019/10/27...r-al-baghdadi/

The generation of terrorists we are breeding now will make the current batch look like rank amateurs.

https://fabiusmaximus.com/2015/07/09...ratchet-87079/
    The death of the assholes that claim the US can't touch them *matters*. Sure, there's always going to be more assholes. But that doesn't mean we should leave a chest thumbing sword waving slave owning beheading child-raping asshole alive so he can church up how the US can't touch him because the almighty has chosen him and the US lacks the resolve to fight the almighty's will. Smashing them like a bug and calling them a piece of shit to the world is exactly what needs to happen to these evil fucks each and every single time. Ideally, we'll become effective enough that by the time one of them makes a name for themselves, their name is in a WaPo obit so fast that they can't figure out anything about him to applaud, and President @Hambo 2020 can deliver his one line address and be on with it.

...What insurgencies or revolutionary groups have been ended by a slow grinding down in the past 100 years? You break them NOW, or it never happens.

After Al-Qaeda fell in influence , we got ISIS, which actually managed to take territory, hold it for a time, and show a revolutionary Islamist state is quite feasable, and international co-operation on a massive scale was required to stop them (for now) and it took years.....
    In the 2012-2014 timeframe when the daesh really popped off they were openly uniformed and waving flags as they took over cities and towns. Because we had a POTUS that lacked the resolve to simply steamroll the fuck out of them with an OIF:Part II, we had General Officers in charge of entire commands that were ready to fucking rock the casbah to the point where they were screaming into conference calls to their higher saying if air assets wouldn't fucking move them, they'd pile in to buses and go that way. I know because friends of mine were sitting at those tables and saw it first hand as they had their gear packed for a 4hr mobilization notice, and they stayed on that standby for WEEKS.
    Instead we had a nobel-prize winning 'peacemaker' that drone-striked them into a fucking classic insurgency, and I got to see friends of mine weep as Iraqi cities they fought for and saw good men die for were surrendered to those assholes with nary a shot fired from us. If you want bold terrorists, use spineless leadership to ensure the big scary American military look like we lack the fucking minerals to fight them.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm afraid this threw more fuel on the fire. I'm not saying hunting down an Islamist terrorist leader isn't a good idea but it accomplishes nothing in the general scheme of things. Islamist will figure out a way to strike back, you can bet your bottom dollar on that. There are probably some assholes right now in the US or Europe building a bomb to avenge the death of Baghdadi.
    See above: Allowing these fuckers to preach their bullshit about being annointed or untouchable without repercussions only emboldens them. This poo poo dickless chicken shit huggy fuckup attitude is precisely what's fucked us in ME policy since the god damn Beirut bombings.
    For too fucking long we've allowed these assholes to poke the bear, and sometimes stab it, and we keep our claws in the dirt and whine about it instead of fucking them up.
    9/12 should have been an ugly fucking day. Our jets should have filled the skies and everything that we even *THOUGHT* was a valid target should have been a smoking crater, and if the international "community" cried about it, we should have just collectively shrugged and said 'Sorry, but not sorry, we were really fucking pissed off, if that happens again we'll go twice as hard'.

There's no backing them off of their ideology. They're convinced they're running Windows 10 and everyone else is on Windows 95 and fucking up their internet with its backwardsness. The only thing you can do is convince them at a cerebral, animal-cunning level that they will fucking die horribly if they fuck with the west. The best way to do that is to make sure they see the heads of their violent asshole leaders on spikes on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I don't know. They thought they cut off the head of the snake when they killed Osama. Then up pops al-Zawahiri. If they kill him there are 10 more standing in line...
    Yep, and I want those 10 standing in line behind them to be VERY scared that their head will be the next one to get ventilated at close range from a SCAR-H wearing a Surefire supperssor while a good dog is chewing their puny bitch-ass balls off.
    Last edited by JRB; 10-29-2019 at 02:37 AM.

@JRB wins this whole fuckin thread. Bless

Because that totally worked in Vietnam. Yeah, I know, if we'd just kept up the pressure, it would have worked eventually......
    Korea and Vietnam were about containment, not WW2 victory parades. If the WOT is similar at all, it's because the plan is to fight them elsewhere, or preferably just smoke them elsewhere. It's a combo of containment and Cold War style CIA intervention. We've been incredibly successful at keeping the fight off our soil.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

JRB,
    If you're ever in the DC area, chow is on me.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 10-29-2019 at 05:59 AM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    From BBC News:

The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) say their spy stole Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi's underwear which was then DNA tested and used to prove his identity before he was killed.
    If the dude had kept his drawers clean, we may have always wondered.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    eh, nevermind.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 10-29-2019 at 08:15 AM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

IS Leader al-Baghdadi Killed in US Raid

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

The death of the assholes that claim the US can't touch them *matters*. Sure, there's always going to be more assholes. But that doesn't mean we should leave a chest thumbing sword waving slave owning beheading child-raping asshole alive so he can church up how the US can't touch him because the almighty has chosen him and the US lacks the resolve to fight the almighty's will. Smashing them like a bug and calling them a piece of shit to the world is exactly what needs to happen to these evil fucks each and every single time. Ideally, we'll become effective enough that by the time one of them makes a name for themselves, their name is in a WaPo obit so fast that they can't figure out anything about him to applaud, and President @Hambo 2020 can deliver his one line address and be on with it.

In the 2012-2014 timeframe when the daesh really popped off they were openly uniformed and waving flags as they took over cities and towns. Because we had a POTUS that lacked the resolve to simply steamroll the fuck out of them with an OIF:Part II, we had General Officers in charge of entire commands that were ready to fucking rock the casbah to the point where they were screaming into conference calls to their higher saying if air assets wouldn't fucking move them, they'd pile in to buses and go that way. I know because friends of mine were sitting at those tables and saw it first hand as they had their gear packed for a 4hr mobilization notice, and they stayed on that standby for WEEKS.
    Instead we had a nobel-prize winning 'peacemaker' that drone-striked them into a fucking classic insurgency, and I got to see friends of mine weep as Iraqi cities they fought for and saw good men die for were surrendered to those assholes with nary a shot fired from us. If you want bold terrorists, use spineless leadership to ensure the big scary American military look like we lack the fucking minerals to fight them.

See above: Allowing these fuckers to preach their bullshit about being annointed or untouchable without repercussions only emboldens them. This poo poo dickless chicken shit huggy fuckup attitude is precisely what's fucked us in ME policy since the god damn Beirut bombings.
    For too fucking long we've allowed these assholes to poke the bear, and sometimes stab it, and we keep our claws in the dirt and whine about it instead of fucking them up.
    9/12 should have been an ugly fucking day. Our jets should have filled the skies and everything that we even *THOUGHT* was a valid target should have been a smoking crater, and if the international "community" cried about it, we should have just collectively shrugged and said 'Sorry, but not sorry, we were really fucking pissed off, if that happens again we'll go twice as hard'.

There's no backing them off of their ideology. They're convinced they're running Windows 10 and everyone else is on Windows 95 and fucking up their internet with its backwardsness. The only thing you can do is convince them at a cerebral, animal-cunning level that they will fucking die horribly if they fuck with the west. The best way to do that is to make sure they see the heads of their violent asshole leaders on spikes on a regular basis.

Yep, and I want those 10 standing in line behind them to be VERY scared that their head will be the next one to get ventilated at close range from a SCAR-H wearing a Surefire supperssor while a good dog is chewing their puny bitch-ass balls off.
    Hell yeah. This is the only way to win against this insurgency. I can never take POTUS seriously when I hear him speak, but he made ISIS guy sound like a complete bitch. And apparently we killed their head press guy the following day? That’s a mic drop that we haven’t done in a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 10-29-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

This should be mandatory reading in every graduate level Political Science class.

Well said, JRB, well effing said.

User Tag List