Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deputy Involved Shooting

Deputy Involved Shooting

I am posting this here because the deputy involved is a PFer. I won't reveal his screen name. He actually introduced himself to me through a PM here. We later hired him.

I conducted the internal investigations into his actions. I have concluded that his actions are within policy. I wrote the policy and personally conducted the training on it. The GBI is conducting an independent investigation. While it is outside of the scope of my investigation, it is my opinion that his actions were lawful.

If you will allow me to set aside my decorum for a moment, what the video doesn't clearly show is that when he heard the sound of the pistol slide being racked, he pulled the other deputy out of the doorway, stepped around him, and engaged the threat. I am extremely proud of him. He performed his duty in the finest tradition of a Deputy Sheriff. I say that not only as his Chief Deputy, but as one of his instructors. He is Rangemaster's 63rd win. He is my #1.

The pistol is a G34 with a Surefire light. The ammo is Hornady 135gr +p Critical Duty. He fired four shots with one hit. Based upon my examination of the evidence, two of the shots went over him as he fell. Their trajectory indicates that they would have hit where he was standing. The fourth is low and to the right. I believe that it was fired as he was trying to stop shooting. I refer you to the Force Science Institutes study on stopping an action once started.

I can't comment on the wound at this time.

I will answer what questions I can.

I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Hope "our" Deputy Sheriff is doing okay. I imagine his nerves are a bit tense right now.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Glad your guys are ok. Good job on their part.

I'll keep my questions technical. What bodycam are you using? They seem to do pretty good in low light compared to others I've seen.

Do you guys have a post OIS policy in place that covers interviews/sleep cycles/etc.? Post OIS clearance to return to work by a mental health professional?
    Last edited by Lon; 04-22-2016 at 07:55 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Chief,

Thank you for standing behind the deputy's actions and not placating the media and others. I have seen this post here as well as FB and it demonstrates what a true leader does. In todays anti-LEO society it is refreshing.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 04-22-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Righteous.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post

I'll keep my questions technical. What bodycam are you using? They seem to do pretty good in low light compared to others I've seen.

Do you guys have a post OIS policy in place that covers interviews/sleep cycles/etc.? Post OIS clearance to return to work by a mental health professional?
    They are a Vievu product. I can't remember the exact model at the moment. We just went live with them two weeks ago. The other deputy's camera gets partially obscured and only captured the audio.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Good work, hope your guy is doing well. If he needs to talk to anyone outside the psych folks, let me know.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Good awareness and good shoot.

If we ever meet, beers on me.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post

My apologies. I didn't answer the policy question in my other post.

I'm a Force Science Institute grad, and I completed the FLETC Use of Force Instructor course in January. I write that just to indicated that I am up to speed on the science of the matter pertaining to the question. Coincidentally, I rewrote our use of force policy and conducted the training on it in March.

I have not formalized the deadly force investigation policy in writing, but I personally handle such investigations. I did verbally state in the training that deputies would have the option to watch any recordings available and would have the option to sleep prior to any formal questioning.

As for the criminal side of the investigation, a local lawyer has volunteered to represent any of our personnel involved in a use of force incident. He represents the personnel. He does not represent the agency. The personnel are not obligated to use him. In this incident, he came to the scene and immediately began representing the three deputies involved.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Deputy. I hope everything goes well for him.

Bless him for his courage, pulling a fellow Deputy out of the way and carrying the fight to the bad guy.

Thanks for sharing, Chief. We've missed you around here.

User Tag List