Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-travel reduction

Pre-travel reduction

Do you find mechanically reducing your pre-travel or slack on your triggers help with your hits? If you prep the trigger and shoot to reset I don't see a benefit. I'm specifically talking about Glock triggers, but would imagine this would apply to any firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Do you find mechanically reducing your pre-travel or slack on your triggers help with your hits? If you prep the trigger and shoot to reset I don't see a benefit. I'm specifically talking about Glock triggers, but would imagine this would apply to any firearm.
    YVK sure hopes so.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Oh man, this is a whole can of worms. This debate has been hashed out before, I think, on M4Carbine. There's an article somewhere from someone like Vickers called "Riding the Link" on this subject.

I actually believe that the trigger press should be learned both ways: one smooth continuous press, and also a staged press from the "wall" to the reset. I practice both. Don't know if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    Oh man, this is a whole can of worms. This debate has been hashed out before, I think, on M4Carbine. There's an article somewhere from someone like Vickers called "Riding the Link" on this subject.

I actually believe that the trigger press should be learned both ways: one smooth continuous press, and also a staged press from the "wall" to the reset. I practice both. Don't know if that makes sense.
    Okay, so I see a benefit on the first shot when there isn't time to prep.

Was looking at the DK Custom Triggers IDPA SSP legal trigger package where they take some of the slack out with a modified trigger bar without an exposed pre-travel screw.

1) my pre travel comment was directed to YVK and his four LEM triggers getting 4.1 reduced pre travel parts, to augment his GGI triggers. Probably has $1,000 worth of trigger jobs on each HK.

2) last year, I got a new to me, used Glock. Something just didn't feel right to me, and it turned out to have had reduced pre travel. Just a little bit felt entirely different than a regular Glock trigger, and I 86'd those parts. Length of travel is as or more important than trigger weight to me, in avoiding premature bangs.

My Glock guy used to set my Glock triggers up with more pre travel and short resets. The reasoning was on a street gun that was actually getting humans at the end of it regularly, I wanted to make sure I really wanted to do it on the first shot, and then wanted the follow ons coming as soon as possible. This ties in a lot with my love of the LEM. It sounds like YVK is setting up his LEMs as near street trigger perfection for me.

Funny on the Vickers reference. Larry loved the trigger set up in my Glocks. He said it was probably the best Glock trigger (as far as a carry/working gun). He described it as a miniature light revolver DA with a short reset.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    He described it as a miniature light revolver DA with a short reset.
    Sounds good to me. So what's the trick to getting it?

Closest I have gotten is a lightly polished minus connector and an NY1 with the spring replaced to lighten the weight.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Nyeti polishes the trigger bar with powdered Unicorn testicles. Not really but his Glock triggers are very usable as duty triggers and are done by a guy in ID, if I'm not mistaken.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    1) my pre travel comment was directed to YVK and his four LEM triggers getting 4.1 reduced pre travel parts, to augment his GGI triggers. Probably has $1,000 worth of trigger jobs on each HK.
    I hope YVK chimes in. In my current attempt to blame the arrow (not the Indian) I am seriously considering putting 4.1 LEM on my pistol and I'm disappointed that there hasn't been more useful interwebz feedback yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Nyeti polishes the trigger bar with powdered Unicorn testicles.
    I request that we hear more from Wayne Dobbs on PF.

User Tag List