Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FO vs Tritium With WML?

In terms of home defense, I think it a common scenario to aim with your night sights in a dark house and then turn on your WML to positively ID your subject. A 500 lumen light would blind someone for enough time to let you decide if you needed to escalate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    In terms of home defense, I think it a common scenario to aim with your night sights in a dark house and then turn on your WML to positively ID your subject. A 500 lumen light would blind someone for enough time to let you decide if you needed to escalate.
    If I wasn't sure of my target I wouldn't be aiming at it.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I agree with you 100% on this. Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics has a couple great videos on YouTube discussing tactics/deployment of hand held lights and weapon mounted lights. I have tried to incorporate some of his techniques into my skill set while on duty.

I couldn't agree more with Chuck and Whiskey. If I don't know for sure, I'm not aiming at it. That being said, you can still make use of your WML to PID the threat without aiming. Having a handheld light to do the same task is even better.

I can't like this post enough

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    There may be times when you do not want to activate the weapon mounted light but you need to see the sights.
    Both excellent points.

Fiber Optic sights are excellent for shooting outdoors when natural sunlight and the fiber optic can work together.

Indoors and at night, I question how effective the fiber optic would light up from the eight of the WML.

Chuck's point can not be emphasized enough. Especially within your own home. But once you have positively identified the individual as a threat that needs to be addressed, you may find yourself in a position where leaving your WML turned on continuously is a bad thing. Having the option of tritium sights is one of those options that you may not need. But if you do need them, you really need them. Not all of my defensive handguns have a WML on them. But all of my defensive handguns, to include my wife's Glock 43, has tritium sights on them. I feel that it's better to have them and not need them than the alternative.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Both excellent points.

Fiber Optic sights are excellent for shooting outdoors when natural sunlight and the fiber optic can work together.

Indoors and at night, I question how effective the fiber optic would light up from the eight of the WML.

Chuck's point can not be emphasized enough. Especially within your own home. But once you have positively identified the individual as a threat that needs to be addressed, you may find yourself in a position where leaving your WML turned on continuously is a bad thing. Having the option of tritium sights is one of those options that you may not need. But if you do need them, you really need them. Not all of my defensive handguns have a WML on them. But all of my defensive handguns, to include my wife's Glock 43, has tritium sights on them. I feel that it's better to have them and not need them than the alternative.
    An excellent point. I would add that, even if you can see gun flashes from your attacker's gun, you still need to know that there are no family, friends, or third parties in the line of fire before returning fire.

Once I have identified the target as well as whatever may be in proximity to the target, then I do not want my sighting system dependent on a light that it may be inadvisable to activate.

Adding some thread drift, this is one issue I have with most or all of the light/laser combinations I have seen so far: activation of one is somehow tied to activation of the other.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I want as much capability/versatility in my handgun as possible. I want to be able to see my sights independent of a secondary light source. That means tritium sights. The idea that if you cannot see your sights, you cannot see your target is not necessarily true.

I have used guns with FO sights and while I appreciated the increased visibility, I did not see any perceptible improvement in performance.
    C Class shooter.

Compared to the folks above ^^^ I have zip for experience. I just wanted to add, as a noob to carry, I attended Tom Givens' low light lecture at Tac Con 2016 in Memphis couple weeks ago.

From that, I came away pretty much convinced "Night Sights" and / or a WML for a carry gun were not really useful, and I'd be better off spending the $130 for Trijicon HDs and $$$ for a WML on a case or two of ammo and range time. YMMV, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Compared to the folks above ^^^ I have zip for experience. I just wanted to add, as a noob to carry, I attended Tom Givens' low light lecture at Tac Con 2016 in Memphis couple weeks ago.

From that, I came away pretty much convinced "Night Sights" and / or a WML for a carry gun were not really useful, and I'd be better off spending the $130 for Trijicon HDs and $$$ for a WML on a case or two of ammo and range time. YMMV, of course.
    Waaaiiittt...you want me to practice?!?!?!

I'm somewhat disappointed because these arguments in favor of night sights make sense.

Is there a preferred night sight set with a thin front sight that will take orange paint well and a blank rear?

User Tag List