Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It is legendary in China---Mauser Military Pistol

Cool It is legendary in China---Mauser Military Pistol

Its official name is the Mauser Military Pistol. In the United States, because the shape of the grip, commonly known as a broom handle (Broomhandle), also known as the Chinese translation of Hezi Bao (Box Cannon) is. When Box Cannon has just successfully developed a semi-automatic pistol has just started, the whole world does not have any military use of a semi-automatic pistol as the standard weapon. German Mauser know that to be successful, we must obtain a power of military contracts, so he named Box Cannon Mauser pistol 1896 military style, hoping to get a military contract. But it did not, until 1939 Mauser plant shutdown Box Cannon far, no country in the world using the Box Cannon as the military standard weapons. The Box Cannon production downturn dragged four decades, Mauser factory production is estimated about one million of a wide range of Box Cannon. While in other countries the number of counterfeit production is several times that. National armed forces do not use Box Cannon gun was not because of poor quality, but because
    1. The gun price is too high,
    2. When the pistol is equipped European army size is too large,
    3. As a submachine gun muzzle jump and difficult to control,
    4. Before the fully automatic firing shall wooden gun cartridge combination to the body as the butt of the gun to control the muzzle jump, complex operation, carry more difficult.
    It is neither fish nor fowl, a dilemma.
    But Box Cannon true in China has been widely welcomed, on the 20th Century Chinese warlord factions urgent need to combat weapons, at a time when Japan controlled the western ban arms exports to China, but as a pistol Box Cannon is not in this column Therefore Mauser choice for armed factions.
    The most interesting is that Chinese people came up with a very simple way, not only solved the problem on the muzzle jump, but it will be converted to fully automatic rapid-fire bursts of advantages - the right hand grip gunmen Mauser pistol, rapid fire gear to pull the bolt , palms up his gun, toward the left front, pull the trigger, the muzzle jump action so Mauser fire from gunmen left front to right front; palms down his gun from right to left in front of the fire front; when the left hand gun completely opposite!

I must rely on translation software , so please use simple English to communicate with me . Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I would take those stories of running this pistol on full auto (effectively) with a large dose of salt...

The mauser pistol was a mechanical wonder for its time, all the main internal parts are serial numbered and fit perfectly, but: it is too big and cumbersome as a pistol, reloading is slow, recoil is funky due to high bore axis, reassembly is very tricky, and the barrel is integral with the action.

I am enjoying your contributions, thank you mj888844. I will take you out shooting if you ever make it out to my part of the U.S. and I'm sure others on this forum would as well.

Great Britain future Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, carried a "box cannon" in 1898 at the Battle of Omdurman in the Sudan.

Churchill participated in the charge of the 21st Lancers during the battle, and shot several of the "Dervish" soldiers with his pistol. It apparently worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Great Britain future Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, carried a "box cannon" in 1898 at the Battle of Omdurman in the Sudan.

Churchill participated in the charge of the 21st Lancers during the battle, and shot several of the "Dervish" soldiers with his pistol. It apparently worked very well.
    Apparently good 'ol Winston used soft point bullets in Omdurmán, how unsporty...

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Apparently good 'ol Winston used soft point bullets in Omdurmán, how unsporty...
    He did. And he had to surreptitiously ditch a clip (not a mag--a clip) of perfectly good soft points when he was taken prisoner by the Boers a few years later. My guess is that soft points worked decently with the Mauser, given the velocity of the bullet.

Ian takes a Schnellfeuer full auto at about the 3:50 mark.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post

Fairbairn noted in 'Shooting To Live With The One Hand Gun' that the Mauser was feared by his troops due to the propensity of the little bullets to tear people up rather badly if bone was hit, even with FMJ ammo.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

If you get the chance you might find Forgotten Weapons on youtube interesting. They have videos of a few different Mauser pistol variants. I think he even did a Chinese model chambered for the .45acp as both the pistol and that cartridge were popular in China way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I would take those stories of running this pistol on full auto (effectively) with a large dose of salt...

The mauser pistol was a mechanical wonder for its time, all the main internal parts are serial numbered and fit perfectly, but: it is too big and cumbersome as a pistol, reloading is slow, recoil is funky due to high bore axis, reassembly is very tricky, and the barrel is integral with the action.
    Clint Eastwood ran one like a boss in Joe Kidd. That's all the endorsement I need.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List