Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: NY Long gun choice

Just an observation. Places like NY, California, Chicago, etc...hate you as a firearms owner. In places like this I highly recommend "hunting" guns pressed into a protective role rather than a gun that takes advantage of a bunch of technical idiosyncrasies to make them legal. I avoids issues with uneducated and those not well versed in the small technicalities of the laws. I know.."rights". I get it, and I also know of all sorts of folks winding up in custody with guns that were legal based on technical specifics. Until some expert gets consulted....if ever, you will be very inconvenienced. Bolt action and lever action rifles and pump shotguns are the way to go in these places and why I usually travel these days with a Remington 870 or a Brockman 30/30 lever action.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Just an observation. Places like NY, California, Chicago, etc...hate you as a firearms owner. In places like this I highly recommend "hunting" guns pressed into a protective role rather than a gun that takes advantage of a bunch of technical idiosyncrasies to make them legal. I avoids issues with uneducated and those not well versed in the small technicalities of the laws. I know.."rights". I get it, and I also know of all sorts of folks winding up in custody with guns that were legal based on technical specifics. Until some expert gets consulted....if ever, you will be very inconvenienced. Bolt action and lever action rifles and pump shotguns are the way to go in these places and why I usually travel these days with a Remington 870 or a Brockman 30/30 lever action.
    ^^^^ This.

Consider the hot water the cop is in for having a design on the dust cover of his AR. One can do solid work with a lever gun, bolt action, or 870. Randy Cain used to do a class (may still) on using a deer rifle in an anti-personnel role.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Very smart advice and exactly whyou asked the question above...because I'm thinking bolt. I get the advantages of detachable mag and 16" bbl while still being a hunting rifle legal everywhere. Although hunting is shotgun and bow only. I seriously doubt that's broadly known though.

That Brockman CZ pictured above looks like a pretty damn cool choice.

I'm partial to shotguns, but I really like that little rifle.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

For the price of the CZ and it's ammo, it may be the best choice. I like the versatility of a shotgun but I am really liking the fact that the CZ has detachable mag.
    I'll pick up a 12g down the road as well. Used to have a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Would something like the Troy Pump Action Rifle be a viable choice, or is it too evil, black, and AR-like?
    It exists only to be used in places where AR's are pretty much illegal. So...it is an evil Ar 15 as far as the naive stupid people who make or vote for those who want AR's banned. In places ruled by the folks who love to throw out lines like "nobody needs an AR-15 to hunt deer", or "We don't want to ban hunting rifles,must military guns". Just because those folks lack the ability to read the 2nd Amendment, doesn't mean they are not voted into power and are making the rules. I just follow those rules, and I have found the same things that kill deer efficiently tend to drop humans like a rock.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Would something like the Troy Pump Action Rifle be a viable choice, or is it too evil, black, and AR-like?
    Being that very few, and then probably only enthusiasts, could recognize it was any different than any other "assault rifle", I think it would be of limited saving grace. It's sort of like open carry, it may be legal but it's not the best way to fly under the radar altogether.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

The old SMLE Ishapore in .308 that had been chopped to carbine length were tough and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    The old SMLE Ishapore in .308 that had been chopped to carbine length were tough and cheap.
    Never shot it, but have one in the safe. Probably should sell it to someone in a communist state now that I got out.

What about a Mini 14 or 30.

User Tag List