Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: ToddG remembrance thread

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I have lots of things to say, but none of them are coming out right. So instead, here's a fun story about me and Todd getting up to some shenanigans:

We both attended separate classes at the same facility. Todd took a beginner's level class to see how they did things as he was briefly flirting with doing beginners instruction.

In Todd's class there was a young man from Chicago with absolutely no experience with firearms whatsoever. He was struggling and wasn't getting enough individual attention to really help him given the size of the class. So after class on the second day Todd calls me and says "Tim, this guy needs individual help and I've seen what you can do with new shooters...you're the perfect guy to help him, dude. These other guys aren't going to." The man knew how to play on my sympathies.

So I grab my trust range-bag Glock 17 that goes with me to just about every class just-in-case, and we ambush him outside his room. "Hey! This is my friend Tim. And he's going to help you get sorted out."

And then for the next two hours we basically forced this kid to dryfire. Pretty much against his will. He did it, but he wasn't exactly enthusiastic about this development. After 2-2.5 hours of this...with the kid pouring sweat by the end of it...he asked for a break. As he left to go smoke a cigarette I told Todd "You know he's going to go out there, dial 911, and tell the cops that he's being held against his will by two armed white dudes." We both found the prospects of explaining to the local constabulary that we had been forcing this kid to learn marksmanship fundamentals to be utterly hilarious. We both ended up on the floor laughing our ass off. "He could have left at any time! We actually GAVE him a gun! Sure, it was unloaded but that didn't matter for Patty Hearst!"

He came back in after a long smoke break and Todd made a reference to Monty Python and the Holy Grail that the kid didn't get because he'd never seen the movie. I just happened to have a DVD of that movie in my car, at that time equipped with a DVD player. So then we forced him to watch The Holy Grail for a bit. I threw in the towel personally after a while because at that point I really was concerned that we were bordering on a serious felony.

The next day the kid goes back on the line and where he had been the worst guy there in terms of marksmanship and handling, he was suddenly one of the top shooters. He actually contacted me sometime later asking if he could get a picture Todd took of him in that class, and thanking the both of us for Shanghai-ing him into a better shooter.
    That is beyond classic, that's gun geek movie material for me right there. Thank you for sharing that.

RIP Mr Green. 45 is far too young and thanks for all your work.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    You know, I was thinking about this whole thing earlier today, about Todd mentioning a few years ago that he wondered what role solvent exposure had played in his developing cancer at a young age.

I have no idea if that was ever resolved, or if it could or should be. But one thing that really changed in my life was that after that comment, I began using nitrile gloves when cleaning my guns. And then I started focusing on other sources of chemical exposure, like tumbling brass. And nowadays, when I'm working on boats or cars or bikes, I'm really careful with solvents and oils, and it all traces back to that one comment he made.

So this morning I went on this little rant on FB in which I tagged a bunch of my shooting friends, which I'm just going to allude to here: my personal tribute to Todd is that I have become very conscious about chemical exposure, which is a very real threat in the shooting business, in my opinion.

I think that there's not much better way to honour a guy than to use him as a motivation to keep yourself and your family safe. So all the shooting tips and skills aside, which I might never use to extend my life, there's something I got from him that I'm absolutely certain is going to help me live longer and healthier, and that's materials handling safety.

And if I could hope for one positive thing to come out of this, it would be that everybody in the shooting game, and in particular those who knew or learned from Todd Green, take stock of their off-range safety practices, specifically in regards to chemical exposure. I didn't know Todd especially well, although I was fortunate to take Aim Fast Hit Fast from him a number of years ago. But I feel certain that he would like the idea of people using his memory as a motivating factor to keep themselves healthy.

Anyway, that's how I'm approaching this loss.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I signed up here specifically to convey my condolences to Todd's Family and friends.

I was shocked to hear of his passing. We were all enriched by his presence amongst us and he will be sorely missed.

RIP Todd!

Pretty amazing to see the impact one person has had on such a large group of diverse yet like minded individuals. Fair winds and following seas.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Anyway, that's how I'm approaching this loss.
    I wear gloves now, too.

That and I don't clean my guns very often. Another thing I learned from Todd.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Like many here, Todd inspired me to push myself as a shooter and get more out of both my training and teaching.

My condolences his family and loved ones, including Freyja.

I've never been part of a "virtual wake" before so I will just do what I would do at a real wake: pay my respects and share an amusing and slightly embarrassing episode involving the departed. In this case, the infamous Ballistic radio Episode where they repeatedly hung up on Todd: http://ballisticradio.com/2013/04/22...april-21-2013/

R.I.P. my friend.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-15-2016 at 10:08 PM.

God speed Mr. Green!

I took several classes from Todd and while I wasn't as close to him as many here he had been in my home and played with my dogs and I was honored to call him a friend. I have another close friend who was on her second round of chemo for ovarian cancer today so this hit hard.

His analytical nature meshed with mine and while I never could reach his level of note taking and detail I learned from him and strived to improve. He taught several techniques differently that I had originally learned and while I didn't adopt all of them several did work their way into my toolbox. Of all the shooting things the piece I remember most was his concern of lead poisoning post shooting in the restroom, to this day that discussion is still in the back of my mind.

The most memorable post class dinner I've ever attended took place after one of the OKC AFHF at Cracker Barrel. Ed L had ordered some sort of catfish and after about 7 tries they still could not get his order right. It became so ridiculous that Ed accused us of orchestrating the whole thing; by the end of the night most of the table was in tears.

RIP Todd and may your previous furry friends be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge. Thoughts to his wife,family and friends.

My wife was an unofficial class photographer for a couple years so I have lots of photos floating around; here are a few of my favorites

Todd's St Jude's fundraiser at the 2010 Tac Conf

Todd disapproving of whatever LoknLod was doing

Me and Todd

Last edited by Bratch; 03-15-2016 at 10:09 PM.

User Tag List