Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry fire will get you killed in the streets

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    The A-Team, Nightrider and Star-Trek/TNG taught me the English language.
    This. Plus Magnum PI, Airwolf, and MacGyver. Learned all my cuss words from Beverly Hills Cop. I definitely know who SDJ is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    Firearms Training: Shooting Drills - Dryfire Drill Practice
    Personal Defense Network (PDN) original video
    Uploaded on Apr 8, 2011
    Hey, I know that guy!
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post

Firearms Training: Shooting Drills - Dryfire Drill Practice
    Personal Defense Network (PDN) original video
    Uploaded on Apr 8, 2011

Hey, I know that guy!

I bet you do !
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 02-27-2016 at 03:13 AM.

What amazes me is the chutzpah of Mr. Pincus.

He has a pedestrian background with no compelling specialized training or base of experience, and yet he's somehow become an authority on the subject of firearms training.

But even more scandalous, he's somehow become such a visionary and expert that he's developed new techniques that contradict ones that have been developed and refined over decades to solve real world problems and increase performance by vetted parts of the professional tactical and competition shooting community.

The fact that certain studies are so easily cited as proof, when both the study and the derived conclusions may be faulty, cause further suspicions.

But maybe he's a naturally born shooting savant that understands things others do not. His documented resistance to demonstrate his drills to students during classes, and that epic failure of his techniques caught on tape during that very illuminating FAST drill make this unlikely.

It was a great consumer alert how that ridiculous reload technique of his crashed and burned so spectacularly when put under stress.
    That's what happens when people develop techniques that sound good in theory but aren't tested by the rigors of reality.

My Conclusions:
    1. Dry fire can have some pitfalls, but for most shooters the pitfalls of not doing dry fire are much greater.
    2. Keep your gun up in your work space and Look at your magwell when doing a speed reload Mr. Pincus, despite what your tactical-neurophysiological research has shown you. ��

I would be nowhere without dry practice. I re-read that a few times and RP does seem to be discouraging dry fire which is ridiculous.

This might be a little off topic:

My only experience with him was the last three years at SHOT. The first year, I tried to ask him questions at the Winchester ammo booth about the ammunition. He looked at me, acted as though he couldn't hear me and walked away to start fiddling with the one of the guns. The second year, almost exactly the same experience. This year, I told my editor, "fuck that guy. I am walking up there to shoot their guns and ammo, but I won't even try to talk to Pincus." I did exactly that. I ignored him and shot the ammo and talked to everybody else at the booth but him. He gravitated toward me and started asking me what I thought about the ammo. He told me how well I shot. We had a nice conversation and ended up taking a picture together. It sounds weird, but it isn't. I remember the same phenomena from high school. Maybe, Rob is too cool for dry fire.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Obviously I know who he was, I was being sarcastic.

And just as obviously - I was kidding you. I guess 've got to work on my clues, eh?

Site Supporter
    Question: is there ANYthing Mr. Pincus advocates that is gtg?

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Question: is there ANYthing Mr. Pincus advocates that is gtg?

Four Rules of Gun Safety? Oh wait, nope, he does his own thing here too...

Three Rules -
    1 - Finger off trigger
    2 - Keep pointed in generally safe direction
    3 - Big Picture Rule - you are in control of a weapon that can injure or kill if used maliciously or negligently.

Last edited by StraitR; 02-28-2016 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Four Rules of Gun Safety? Oh wait, nope, he does his own thing here too...

Three Rules -
    1 - Finger off trigger
    2 - Keep pointed in generally safe direction
    3 - Big Picture Rule - you are in control of a weapon that can injure or kill if used maliciously or negligently.

He pulled "his" safety crap over a decade ago. Got on Tactical Forums when good people were still there and proposed changing the safety rules because nobody paid attention to them. He got lambasted, with Pat Rogers and I both leading the charge to let him know how stupid he is.
    He is a non finisher and cannot cut it when under any pressure. Went to a great Military College.....and did nothing with it. Was a cop for a couple years and quit when they wouldn't let him work the range. Married a Mandrell sister and got a reserve job in the place the Mandrells hold significant influence. He couldn't even hang with that. He is successful at marketing himself to stupid people and low information gun folks. Should be a politician. All his "scientific" crap has been destroyed by John Hearne's work. His theories have been destroyed by "finishers". Tip of the spear guys who aren't on Facebook counting likes and views, but proving what really works day in and day out for decades and those who don't ring the bell when it comes to going out and doing righteous work when no one is looking.
    He is famous and popular amongst the social media crowd, and a punch line to a joke amongst the carnivores of the military and LE world.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 02-28-2016 at 10:51 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    He pulled "his" safety crap over a decade ago. Got on Tactical Forums when good people were still there and proposed changing the safety rules because nobody paid attention to them. He got lambasted, with Pat Rogers and I both leading the charge to let him know how stupid he is.
    He is a non finisher and cannot cut it when under any pressure. Went to a great Military College.....and did nothing with it. Was a cop for a couple years and quit when they wouldn't let him work the range. Married a Mandrell sister and got a reserve job in the place the Mandrells hold significant influence. He couldn't even hang with that. He is successful at marketing himself to stupid people and low information gun folks. Should be a politician. All his "scientific" crap has been destroyed by John Hearne's work. His theories have been destroyed by "finishers". Tip of the spear guys who aren't on Facebook counting likes and views, but proving what really works day in and day out for decades and those who don't ring the bell when it comes to going out and doing righteous work when no one is looking.
    He is famous and popular amongst the social media crowd, and a punch line to a joke amongst the carnivores of the military and LE world.
    Can't say I was ever on Tactical Forums, but there are a few instances of unpleasantries I do recall on 10-8 right around that timeframe.

It was his safety stuff that completely blew my mind, not so much the dog and pony stuff like "target focused shooting". He showed shear incompetence and it really broadcasted his ambition to be recognized at ANY cost. Seems like a nice enough guy, but I'm afraid this isn't a popularity contest.

Besides, if it was, wouldn't you have won already?

User Tag List