Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo officers ends active-shooter incident, once again.....

Solo officers ends active-shooter incident, once again.....

The more I see of these incidents the more I think I was prophetic in my advocacy of solo response as quickly as possible to shut down the bad guy.

http://heroes2us.com/2016/02/26/hero...e-taking-fire/
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I advocated the same thing during immediate post-Columbine training. I was called a radical and a cowboy and more or less told to sit down and shut up. Finally, everyone else is catching up.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I think the formation method was probably the best quick-fix after Columbine. It was a quick fix for patrol officers and sergeants who had been told that the best response was to establish containment and wait for SWAT. That said, it should have been apparent early on that waiting for another two or three or, in our protocol, four officers to arrive, gear up, and organize into formation is not the best solution in many circumstances. Like both of you, I think solo officer entry is often the only solution.

Decision-making is probably one of the hardest things to teach in coppering or any other business. There are times to go it alone, times to wait for the beat partner who is coming in hot and two blocks out, and times to get everyone geared up and organized into teams. There are times to get the plate carrier and the rifle from the trunk, times to grab the shotgun from the roof rack, and times to go for broke with the pistol.

Unfortunately, as you two have found, agencies and people often become so winded up over the general order or the lesson plan or what the chief said at the staff meeting that any discussion of tactics becomes heresy.

Excellent job by the first cop on scene in this incident.

Chuck, are you saying a good response right now, beats a great response deployed a few hours from now?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    That always was the problem I had. You want me to stand around waiting for folks to get their stuff together when other folks are getting killed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Chuck, are you saying a good response right now, beats a great response deployed a few hours from now?
    Not Chuck, but I would say any kind and of response from the first unit on scene is better than a good response in 15 minutes. Historically, these events are over in minutes and the killing or injuring of innocents stops when the bad guys hits resistance. The rapid response team of 4 officers still takes more time than the victims have. Especially in rural areas. My agency bought into the solo response after Virginia Tech.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The more I see of these incidents the more I think I was prophetic in my advocacy of solo response as quickly as possible to shut down the bad guy.

http://heroes2us.com/2016/02/26/hero...e-taking-fire/
    What's amazing is that anyone looking at the record of incidences would still stick to the old "wait for back up, establish a scene commander, go in in groups" mindset when the evidence of how these end is irrefutable. Keep fighting the good fight Chuck!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Amazing how that works.....

Pressing the fight, even alone, takes their mind off shooting the helpless.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I advocated the same thing during immediate post-Columbine training. I was called a radical and a cowboy and more or less told to sit down and shut up. Finally, everyone else is catching up.
    I got the "Tombstone Courage" speech as well. I pointed out that when Mr. Brooks coined that term as one of the 10 Deadly Errors the actual quote was:

"8. Tombstone Courage – Don’t rush in if you don’t need to. Take your time and wait for backup. Sometimes you have to go in alone. Most of the time you don’t, so wait for your partner!"

Didn't matter. Yes, is gratifying to see some vindication for the use of individual discretion.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

After revisiting your post "a couple more big ones," and assuming that it IS you holding those "big ones," I can't believe ANYone would tell YOU to "sit down and shut up."

User Tag List