PDA

View Full Version : Facebook

ToddG
10-20-2013, 04:03 AM
pistol-training.com (and by extension, pistol-forum.com) now have a Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pistoltrainingforum

I have absolutely no idea what I am doing and it took me five hours just to get this far. But if the forum explodes, you can check the FB* page for information & updates & whatnot.

Eventually we'll add some actual functionality to the page. Presumably.

* I'm hip because I call it FB, right?

Chuck Whitlock
10-20-2013, 05:39 AM
"Mods.....ready the Banhammer!!!"

JHC
10-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Eventually we'll add some actual functionality to the page. Presumably.

* I'm hip because I call it FB, right?

As hip as the now grown up dominated FB can be. ;)

This should be fun.

Tamara
10-20-2013, 09:05 AM
If you were hip, you'd have a Tumblr. :D

GardoneVT
10-20-2013, 09:08 AM
What, no Twitter feed?!!

Sparks2112
10-20-2013, 10:21 AM
And....promoted.

ToddG
10-20-2013, 03:13 PM
If the page gets 10,000 LIKES by this time yesterday, I'll buy everyone here a beer.

gtmtnbiker98
10-20-2013, 04:49 PM
What, you are on FB, now? Hell really has frozen over.

Tamara
10-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Some of us realized we had to for business reasons. ;)

I would say that if I had to do it over again, I would limit my FB friends to people I actually knew (or at least "knew" well via the intertubes.) Used in that context, FB could be incredibly useful. I've gotten in touch with friends I haven't seen in years and used it to coordinate gatherings of folks I know IRL.

Like the rest of the internet, it has its upsides and downsides.

TCinVA
10-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Like most bits of modernity, the nice parts are pretty nice and comfortable and sort of blend into existence while the not-so-nice parts are like a brad nail that occasionally pops up and is driven straight into your eyesocket.

Clyde from Carolina
10-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Like most bits of modernity, the nice parts are pretty nice and comfortable and sort of blend into existence while the not-so-nice parts are like a brad nail that occasionally pops up and is driven straight into your eyesocket.

What he said..and Tamara, too. It's not the end of the world nor can I bring myself to embrace it like so many do so easily. It is what it is. I "liked" P-F dot com so here is where I put the :-)

jlw
10-20-2013, 09:43 PM
My introduction to Facebook was back when it was limited to those with collegiate email accounts. I was a newly assigned investigator and caught a case involving a coed whose face was being photoshopped onto the naked bodies of other girls and posted online. I walked back into the CID office and asked, "What's a Facebook?"

Dagga Boy
10-20-2013, 09:49 PM
I feel your pain. I "had" to do one for HiTS. Nothing like not having a fricking clue what you are doing. On the other hand, I am more motivated than ever to not have a personal account as there has been zero attraction to the whole "FB" thing, and I still don't "get it":confused:.

jlw
10-20-2013, 09:51 PM
I feel your pain. I "had" to do one for HiTS. Nothing like not having a fricking clue what you are doing. On the other hand, I am more motivated than ever to not have a personal account as there has been zero attraction to the whole "FB" thing, and I still don't "get it":confused:.

Facebook I get. It's fantasy football I don't understand.

TGS
10-20-2013, 09:51 PM
One of my friends who posts everyday on Facebook is one of the Frozen Chosin. All of you are young by comparison.

Facebook ain't just a young people's thing.

ST911
10-20-2013, 10:25 PM
If you were hip, you'd have a Tumblr. :D

YES!!

https://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages//CV750_m.jpg

My introduction to Facebook was back when it was limited to those with collegiate email accounts. I was a newly assigned investigator and caught a case involving a coed whose face was being photoshopped onto the naked bodies of other girls and posted online. I walked back into the CID office and asked, "What's a Facebook?"

It won't be long before there are FB-dedicated investigators, if not already.

LittleLebowski
10-21-2013, 06:13 AM
One of my friends who posts everyday on Facebook is one of the Frozen Chosin.

You know the source of my respect but still......folks other than jarheads need to remember the Frozen Chosin in the freezing season.

Chuck Haggard
10-21-2013, 06:17 AM
You know what will have you knowing about Facebook in a hurry?

Have teenage daughters.

da6dspanburg
10-21-2013, 06:20 AM
You know the source of my respect but still......folks other than jarheads need to remember the Frozen Chosin in the freezing season.

This not quite that old Army Grunt remembers because he knows some Army grunts who were also there.

LittleLebowski
10-21-2013, 06:25 AM
This not quite that old Army Grunt remembers because he knows some Army grunts who were also there.

I'm more than well aware of that and reviewing what I posted, don't see where I mentioned anything about the Army but for you, I'll point out that Army units were there and 1st MarDiv gathered up their gear/vehicles and troops during that long march.

All I said was
folks other than jarheads need to remember the Frozen Chosin in the freezing season.

Kyle Reese
10-21-2013, 06:30 AM

Frozen what?

LittleLebowski
10-21-2013, 06:31 AM
Frozen what?

If you weren't twice the size of me......:D

VolGrad
10-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Facebook I get. It's fantasy football I don't understand.

This. Fantasy Football makes NO SENSE to me.

TCinVA
10-21-2013, 06:43 AM

Ah, yes. I remember those days.

That was back before students at college understood that police officers could get a FB account. At least a couple of them were quite shocked to find the police serving a warrant on their dorm room after they'd posted pictures of their dealing operation on FB. Now I know of at least one campus police officer who has "friended" as many students as possible...which gives him access to a whole lot of bikini pictures.

Have teenage daughters.

I feel for parents these days. The social networking thing is so massive and all encompassing it's difficult for parents to even get a handle on it. By now parents know about FB and use it, but there are a bunch of alternative social networking tools that parents don't know about and can't know about all the time because teenage users operate like a school of fish, darting this way and that seemingly without any rhyme or reason.

jlw
10-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Ah, yes. I remember those days.

That was back before students at college understood that police officers could get a FB account. At least a couple of them were quite shocked to find the police serving a warrant on their dorm room after they'd posted pictures of their dealing operation on FB. Now I know of at least one campus police officer who has "friended" as many students as possible...which gives him access to a whole lot of bikini pictures.

One of my collegiate student email accounts still works... :)

My initial account was associated with the above mentioned email address. That account went radio silent as during the same time frame that a colleague was assassinated at his home, and I got cyber-stalked by some guy who decided I was responsible for all executions in the state.

SouthNarc
10-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Soooooo.......nyeti and Todd; Why do you guys feel like you MUST have a professional FB page?

PPGMD
10-21-2013, 08:10 AM

It is Dungeons and Dragons for jocks.

PT Doc
10-21-2013, 08:25 AM

Have teenage daughters.

You're two years behind. Most teenagers use Twitter and Instagram. Snapchat is up and coming. Facebook is for old people like us. #olddude

JHC
10-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Soooooo.......nyeti and Todd; Why do you guys feel like you MUST have a professional FB page?

From a consumer standpoint I find it a very good platform on which to keep current with the offerings from businesses I am interested in. I saw 10-8 sights were back in stock there first - because they came to my news feed and told me, and I ordered them straight away.

I was relatively late to FB but now that I'm in, I enjoy it. Mine is probably 80% guns/training/PT/military/politics and humor. All things I'm interested in. Still have to separate wheat from chaff but that's true of most on line sources of anything. The politics is a bit of an echo chamber by choice but it's still like a DrudgeReport broad net on steroids where one may notice information they would not normally stumble across. The politics can get pretty stupid there too of course so you have to figure out how to manage that if you go there at all.

Then about 20% is actually family/friends updates on life which is extremely useful to me as I always found it pretty easy to lose track of old friends form other parts of the country where I've lived. And it's the primary communication vehicle I have to hear from my sons from their respective distant locales.

JV_
10-21-2013, 08:33 AM
From a consumer standpoint I find it a very good platform on which to keep current with the offerings from businesses I am interested in.Agreed.

Dagga Boy
10-21-2013, 09:32 AM

I was stuck. I lost my computer person and the only means I had to be able to update classes and do sign ups was Facebook because I can do it myself (even if doing it poorly). It also seems that it is the most "normal" means of conducting business today, as much as I hate it. It seems like it was that, or run my own forum or blog.......and we need another one of those like a hole in the head.

Corlissimo
10-21-2013, 09:33 AM
From a consumer standpoint I find it a very good platform on which to keep current with the offerings from businesses I am interested in. I saw 10-8 sights were back in stock there first - because they came to my news feed and told me, and I ordered them straight away.

I was relatively late to FB but now that I'm in, I enjoy it. Mine is probably 80% guns/training/PT/military/politics and humor. All things I'm interested in. Still have to separate wheat from chaff but that's true of most on line sources of anything. The politics is a bit of an echo chamber by choice but it's still like a DrudgeReport broad net on steroids where one may notice information they would not normally stumble across. The politics can get pretty stupid there too of course so you have to figure out how to manage that if you go there at all.

Then about 20% is actually family/friends updates on life which is extremely useful to me as I always found it pretty easy to lose track of old friends form other parts of the country where I've lived. And it's the primary communication vehicle I have to hear from my sons from their respective distant locales.

Pretty much my setup as well, with the exception that my ratios for Guns/Political stuff is much lower and my family & close friends is higher.

Every six months or so I go through my friends and cull out all the people that are not contributing to a two way friendship (excluding family, since I'm kinda stuck with them) and then post the following notice:

"If you're reading this post then 'Conratulations!' you made the cut and are a valued member of my Circle of Trust. See you in six months... or, maybe not."

I'm now down from ~200 to about 80 friends and family and have been hovering there for the last two years so I figure this is "my cyber gang" of peeps.

I reject Twitter, and all the other crap like it out there, as I just don't have the time or interest in being that social or hearing everyone else's pissing and moaning about nothing.

jetfire
10-21-2013, 10:33 AM

It's (as mentioned) D&D for people who used to make fun of D&D nerds in high school.

I love fantasy football.

Or, depending on how you look at it, it could also provide an easy way for nerds and un-sports types to parse football and engage in normal human conversations with their colleagues about "sports."

NEPAKevin
10-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Pistol-T/F gets a FB page, and a day later, Facebook has a stoppage (http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/10/21/the-facebook-status-update-problem-isnt-just-you/?mod=e2tw). Coincidence? :)

ToddG
10-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Pistol-T/F gets a FB page, and a day later, Facebook has a stoppage (http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/10/21/the-facebook-status-update-problem-isnt-just-you/?mod=e2tw). Coincidence? :)

Maybe.

Maybe not.

LOKNLOD
10-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Or, depending on how you look at it, it could also provide an easy way for nerds and un-sports types to parse football and engage in normal human conversations with their colleagues about "sports."

This. I could scarcely give kitten less about sports than I do....but I like tracking statistics! And it gives me something football-related to discuss without sounding like a complete idiot, and without having to delve into the semi-confrontational "I don't do sports" answer.

As for Facebook, it looks like my feed is about 90% advertisements/news from pages I've "liked" versus any kind of personal info. Its really just another marketing tool.

TCinVA
10-21-2013, 11:39 AM

It is one of the signs of the apocalypse...so...

Tamara
10-21-2013, 04:54 PM

So much for passing the "2,000 Like Test" without a bobble. :D

jlw
10-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Todd,

If you aren't aware, there are settings in WordPress that you can use to automatically publish any blog articles to your Facebook page and that will syndicate your blog posts as well.

Slavex
10-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Another win for Tamara, seriously how many of those do you have now? Do you even pay for your internet anymore????

So much for passing the "2,000 Like Test" without a bobble. :D

Drang
10-21-2013, 07:02 PM

I've met a few veterans of the 7th Infantry Division who might have something to say.

Drang
10-21-2013, 07:10 PM
As for Facespace... I had little to no interest until an acquaintance related how the entire Missouri branch of his family was able to use it to easily update everyone on their status after the Joplin tornadoes.
Yes, it can be as big a time sink as any other form of social media -- I've sworn off ARFCOM, and never hung out in General Discussion there -- but as is so often the case, it's what you make of it.

Slavex
10-21-2013, 07:35 PM
I use it keep track of Bieber, err I mean my shooting buddies around the planet. And to get the latest Cyanide and Happiness comic

LittleLebowski
10-22-2013, 06:45 AM
I've met a few veterans of the 7th Infantry Division who might have something to say.

Are you trying to say that they remember it as well or something else? Please be plain regarding your meaning.

My point (which seems to be immediately seized upon as Army bashing) is that the folks that remember the Frozen Chosin and talk about it the most are.....Marines.

As I've already said once, I know that Army units were there in that long, cold march. I'm also very cognizant of the egomaniacs in command that put those Marines and soldiers in that place to begin with. Heck, I even helped Ray Murray (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Murray) campaign for my father in law.