PDA

View Full Version : Quick poll on the number of permits people are applying for per police station visit.

BaiHu
10-19-2013, 03:26 PM
You can just give a ballpark number (less than 3, more than 3 will suffice) . The reason I ask is because the last time I applied for my 2 permits, my detective told me he was suggesting people apply for 6 at a time, because it was easier to have them extended.

To the LEOs, does this make life easier for the local police or am I in the only lucky gun locale in NJ?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

TGS
10-19-2013, 03:39 PM
I don't think you're going to get a very solid answer since this is a NJ specific thing.

hufnagel
10-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Mine will only let you apply for 3 at a time.
Nevermind the fact that unless you're literally buying a gun every month or have a bunch waiting at an FFL the chances of you being able to use all 6 is pretty slim.

BaiHu
10-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Exactly why I found this so interesting.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

TGS
10-19-2013, 04:47 PM
because it was easier to have them extended.

Nevermind the fact that unless you're literally buying a gun every month or have a bunch waiting at an FFL the chances of you being able to use all 6 is pretty slim.

Exactly why I found this so interesting.

I see what you're talking about.

The extension thing is done in-house without any additional paperwork, and they can exercise a fair amount of latitude. In this area, they'll pretty much extend it for you as long as it isn't from the last century; last permit I got, I walked in and the detective asked why I was getting another if I didn't use the last. I told him that it was already expired, and he said, "Don't worry about that. Just bring it in next time and I'll extend it for ya." I had a buddy get his extended 18 months after it expired. The cops are fairly pro-gun in my area, so if you come in with the papers needing to be extended, they can do it on-site and it's easier than having you get another permit.

BaiHu
10-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Yup and that's making me think that some of the backlog "relief" is coming from this method of permit "stocking" or "hoarding" if you will.

Drang
10-19-2013, 04:53 PM
You can just give a ballpark number (less than 3, more than 3 will suffice) . The reason I ask is because the last time I applied for my 2 permits, my detective told me he was suggesting people apply for 6 at a time, because it was easier to have them extended.

To the LEOs, does this make life easier for the local police or am I in the only lucky gun locale in NJ?
I don't understand the question.

I don't think you're going to get a very solid answer since this is a NJ specific thing.
I think I just gave the most common answer...

BaiHu
10-19-2013, 04:57 PM
There are some other communist states other than NJ :-D

TGS
10-19-2013, 05:09 PM
I don't understand the question.

In NJ, you need to get a purchasers permit for each individual pistol purchase. It was instituted before the whole NICS system was invented, and hasn't gone away.

It's basically just a NICS background check, and a piece of paper saying you have not committed any crimes as of that date. The system gets backed up, however, because they don't view it as a priority and the state courts have basically ruled that the rule of having to issue it by 30 days is only a rule if they feel like following it.
The result is that many people just privately trade like you would in any other state.

In any case, BaiHu is asking about NJ residents' interactions with their police departments when we go and apply for more permits.

Drang
10-19-2013, 05:09 PM
There are some other communist states other than NJ :-D Note how I tactfully resisted any reference to living in a Free State, Unoccupied America, etc. :cool:

Josh Runkle
10-20-2013, 07:03 AM
There are some other communist states other than NJ :-D

Not too many ;)

40/50 states have pretty decent gun laws.

hufnagel
10-20-2013, 01:24 PM
it could be worse. we could be NY or CA.

I also have an expired permit... went last month. If I have another acquisition in the coming days I'll take it down and see if the cool Sgt can convince the crowned prince of the department to graciously grant this humble peasant an extension instead of starting the process again.