PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento CA CCW Discussion

steve
10-18-2013, 06:41 PM
In California the 58 County Sheriffs are also elected constitutional offices. Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones is a pro-gun/2nd Amendment Sheriff and the county is one of a few in California that issue CCW's for the reason of self defense only.

Savage Hands
10-18-2013, 07:18 PM
In California the 58 County Sheriffs are also elected constitutional offices. Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones is a pro-gun/2nd Amendment Sheriff and the county is one of a few in California that issue CCW's for the reason of self defense only.

Let's not go that far about Scott Jones, the department was sued and they finally decided to comply in mid 2010 instead of losing a large sum of money to Calguns. The fight continues with Yolo county.

And I'm glad they finally announced their decision to go with Glocks. :cool:

steve
10-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Let's not go that far about Scott Jones, the department was sued and they finally decided to comply in mid 2010 instead of losing a large sum of money to Calguns. The fight continues with Yolo county.

All is not as it seems.

Sam
10-18-2013, 09:54 PM

At this point, I'm not too concerned with how it came to be. I'm just thankful it did come to be.

Savage Hands
10-19-2013, 01:21 AM
All is not as it seems.

If you have better information than I do on that side of the country than I'd be glad to read it in PM. I was in contact with the Calguns Foundation while the suit was active and applied when they said to and received it before Scott Jones was elected as Sheriff. In fact it's been getting more local restrictions since then, and it's nearly impossible to even get an appointment for new applicants now. In 2010 it took 6 months from start to finish and now some are waiting a year for the first appointment.
Want to add or replace one or all three you can carry? Tough luck, wait for your 2 year renewal. I can go on and on but I won't since I'm moving out of this state tomorrow morning.

Savage Hands
10-19-2013, 01:24 AM
At this point, I'm not too concerned with how it came to be. I'm just thankful it did come to be.

I'm critical of the process, but I am thankful that I was one of the privileged that actually could carry in this state. Good luck Sam!

Sam
10-19-2013, 01:34 AM
If you have better information than I do on that side of the country than I'd be glad to read it in PM. I was in contact with the Calguns Foundation while the suit was active and applied when they said to and received it before Scott Jones was elected as Sheriff. In fact it's been getting more local restrictions since then, and it's nearly impossible to even get an appointment for new applicants now. In 2010 it took 6 months from start to finish and now some are waiting a year for the first appointment.
Want to add or replace one or all three you can carry? Tough luck, wait for your 2 year renewal. I can go on and on but I won't since I'm moving out of this state tomorrow morning.

I should have specified that I am thankful considering the state I live in. The process could be streamlined. I made an appointment in April and my appointment was in Nov and I received my permit in the mail the next January.

1slow
10-19-2013, 02:19 AM
"Justice delayed is justice denied."

Savage Hands
10-19-2013, 07:57 AM
Biased source but accurate fwir.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/California_License_to_Carry_Concealed_Weapon_(CCW) #Legal_Challenge_to_effective_.27no-issue.27
Legal Challenge to effective 'no-issue'

On May 5, 2009, SAF and Calguns Foundation filed suit in The United States District Court for the Eastern District of California, challenging the carry license issuance policies of the Sheriffs of both Yolo and Sacramento Counties. The complaint Sykes v. McGinness is available here.
In October 2010, the complaint against Sacramento County Sheriff, McGinness was withdrawn (because he complied with the demands in the lawsuit). However, litigation will continue against Yolo County Sheriff, Ed Prieto. The lawsuit has been retitled Richards v. Prieto.
The suit asks for
an injunction against "enforcing the “good moral character” and “good cause” requirements of California Penal Code § 12050 against handgun carry permit applicants who seek the permit for self-defense and are otherwise qualified to obtain a handgun carry permit under that section"
an injunction against "requiring any duration of local residence prior to accepting an application under California Penal Code § 12050"
"Declaratory relief that the “good moral character” and “good cause” provisions of California Penal Code § 12050 are unconstitutional either on their face and/or as applied to bar applicants who are otherwise legally qualified to possess firearms and who assert self-defense as their “good cause” for seeking a handgun carry permit"