PDA

View Full Version : OS upgrade overload

JodyH
10-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Today is computer OS upgrade overload.
Ubuntu 13.10 on my spare laptop.
Windows 8.1 on the gun club laptop.

Hopefully OSX Mavericks will be released in the next few weeks so I will have to adapt to three "new" OS's over the next month or two.
:p

JV_
10-18-2013, 04:42 PM
My Ubuntu upgrades rarely go smoothly.

JodyH
10-18-2013, 05:15 PM
My Ubuntu upgrades rarely go smoothly.
Nothing on that machine but internet bookmarks and copies of the documents and presentations I use for training classes.
If the upgrade goes poorly it's no big deal.

tremiles
10-18-2013, 06:47 PM
My update from Win 8 pro to 8.1 pro resulted in "not enough resources errors" for the ethernet and wireless adapters on my laptop. You know, the devices I downloaded the "upgrade" with? "Upgrading" back to W7 pro now as I type.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Dan_S
10-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Upgraded to iOS 7 a few days ago.

Not sure I'm liking all of the changes, although the ability to power off the device entirely is nice as are some of the other new apps.

What I don't care for is that it's now sluggish - I can type faster than it shows on the screen at times. Also not entirely digging the "android-esq" look.

Palmguy
10-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Upgraded to iOS 7 a few days ago.

Not sure I'm liking all of the changes, although the ability to power off the device entirely is nice as are some of the other new apps.

What I don't care for is that it's now sluggish - I can type faster than it shows on the screen at times. Also not entirely digging the "android-esq" look.

iOS7 looks like Android?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Dan_S
10-19-2013, 09:17 AM
iOS7 looks like Android?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

It looks more like android than what I thought was the clean, professional look of iOS 6.

I

JodyH
10-19-2013, 09:25 AM
iOS7 looks like a unicorn threw up Skittles on Android.
Should be called "My Little Pony OS".

JodyH
10-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Win 8.1 is a huge upgrade over 8. Much better as a desktop OS.
Saucy Salamander Ubuntu is a polished version of Ubuntu, nothing revolutionary just a good desktop.

gtmtnbiker98
10-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Should be called "My Little Pony OS".Definitely agree.

tremiles
10-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Win 8.1 is a huge upgrade over 8. Much better as a desktop OS.
Saucy Salamander Ubuntu is a polished version of Ubuntu, nothing revolutionary just a good desktop.

I didn't mind 8.0, with $5 Start8 from Stardock, it was mostly like Win7. But in addition to breaking my network adapters, 8.1 broke Start8, so the start button brings up the Modern interface rather than a Win7 style start menu. The Modern interface just doesn't do anything for me as a desktop and laptop power user. Even with a touchscreen monitor, I just don't want to reach to compute.

I understand the future of computing is mobile and consumer electronic 10ft. interfaces. It just doesn't work for me.

JodyH
10-19-2013, 01:45 PM
You can set the start up preferences to boot directly to desktop in 8.1 and skip Metro completely.
That alone was worth the upgrade from 8.
The Start/Metro button doesn't bother me since I put all my frequently used apps on the task bar or desktop anyway.
And believe it or not, the ability to set the Metro background the same as the desktop background made a huge difference when switching between the two. It makes it almost seamless.

tremiles
10-19-2013, 02:25 PM
You can set the start up preferences to boot directly to desktop in 8.1 and skip Metro completely.
That alone was worth the upgrade from 8.
The Start/Metro button doesn't bother me since I put all my frequently used apps on the task bar or desktop anyway.
And believe it or not, the ability to set the Metro background the same as the desktop background made a huge difference when switching between the two. It makes it almost seamless.

Yes, Win 8.1 can be configured to bring the desktop at startup, but I prefer a legacy start menu. I could probably get used to it. It just doesn't do anything better for me.

I'm just feeling some bitterness about my network interfaces, that didn't have any resource conflicts in 8.0, break in 8.1. Manually removing the registry keys, clean WHQL driver installs made no difference. The biggest mind kitten of it all was that it worked in 8.1 preview inside a VM.

However, I actually prefer Server 2012 to 2008. Mostly because Hyper-V 2012 is really really good.

Jason F
10-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Should be called "My Little Pony OS".

CONCUR!!!

Any my favorite part of that little gem of an upgrade? On my phone at least, it broke my ear piece. Aka, I can't hold the phone to my face and use it. Gotta use headphones or speakerphone.

A week of this and I'm sick of it.... sigh. Bring back iOS6 please.

Dan_S
10-20-2013, 11:43 AM
CONCUR!!!

Any my favorite part of that little gem of an upgrade? On my phone at least, it broke my ear piece. Aka, I can't hold the phone to my face and use it. Gotta use headphones or speakerphone.

A week of this and I'm sick of it.... sigh. Bring back iOS6 please.

Ridiculous.

I'm thinking I might try to go back to iOS 6. I hear there's a way to do it, and the few benefits I can see to it aren't worth the horrendous changes they made on the whole.

What. Was. Apple. Thinking. ?

JodyH
10-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Fear not the OSX Mavericks upgrade.
Trouble free install, no learning curve and obvious improvements in speed and battery life on my '12 Air.
I'm reluctantly coming around to the "it just works" Mac camp.

Dan_S
10-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Fear not the OSX Mavericks upgrade.
Trouble free install, no learning curve and obvious improvements in speed and battery life on my '12 Air.
I'm reluctantly coming around to the "it just works" Mac camp.

What's the price tag on the upgrade? If it has noticeable battery lie improvement, I'm interested.

('12 air here as well)

JodyH
10-23-2013, 10:18 AM
What's the price tag on the upgrade? If it has noticeable battery lie improvement, I'm interested.

('12 air here as well)
$0... as in zero dollars.
It is a 5.3GB download though.

LittleLebowski
10-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Free ninety free

JodyH
10-23-2013, 10:23 AM
The free OS upgrade is brilliant marketing by Apple.
A solid body shot to Microsoft with their Win8 troubles, especially since 8.1 is still getting blah reviews.

I know I'm happy I went with Apple instead of Win8 with my last personal computer purchases (Air, iMac, Mini).
Dealing with the gun club Win8 laptop has been a pain that was somewhat helped by the 8.1 upgrade, but it's still not a smooth end user experience.

Jason F
10-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Free ninety free

Yup.

Paradigm shifting new pricing strategy. VERY interesting move on the part of Apple.

Personally, I'm very excited (though also a bit worried) about the new Mac Pro. We'll see once I can get my hands on one.

An update though - I updated my phone to iOS 7.0.3. Still didn't fix my "broken earpiece" issue. Did a hard reboot, and suddenly it works. Strange.... but at least it's back to working. For now...

I'll probably wait to update my machines until .1 is released.

JodyH
10-23-2013, 10:32 AM
I think Apple is just solidifying their position as a "technology is an appliance" company by giving away the OS.
Consumer perception is that the hardware and software are one entity not separate.

Dan_S
10-23-2013, 06:24 PM
I think Apple is just solidifying their position as a "technology is an appliance" company by giving away the OS.
Consumer perception is that the hardware and software are one entity not separate.

When did they start doing this? Within the last year since Mountain Lion (?) we released?