PDA

View Full Version : Add-on light rail for Glocks?

Dave Berryhill
10-18-2013, 11:25 AM
I received an email from Brownells for this product (http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/flashlights-accessories/flashlight-mounts/tactical-light-mount-sku078000079-22634-46122.aspx?sku=078-000-079&sp_rid=Mjg4ODIwNTkyMDcS1&sp_mid=6939155&spMailingID=6939155&spUserID=Mjg4ODIwNTkyMDcS1&spJobID=174832188&spReportId=MTc0ODMyMTg4S0):

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with it.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_078000079_1.jpg

Product Description: "Converts Early Model Pistols To Accept Weapon Lights & Lasers

It’s now possible to upgrade the hundreds upon thousands of early model Glock medium frame pistols in the 17/19 family to accept an assortment of weapon lights and lasers without the expense of replacing the original frames. This low profile, add-on rail permanently attaches to the dust cover for solid mounting of the most popular pistol-mounted combat accessories. Mount is contoured for a smooth, clean appearance and features a milled slot for unobstructed viewing of the factory serial number plate. Provided nut plate and screws completely immobilize rail from all movement, even after thousands of rounds with extra power loads. Installation requires permanent alteration of the frame and must be completed by a competent gunsmith or machinist."

JV_
10-18-2013, 12:10 PM
I do not.

But, I thought it was only $100 for Glock to do a frame swap from a Gen2 to a Gen3? The price of the part, plus installation, seems like it's approaching that price.

Chuck Haggard
10-18-2013, 12:16 PM
A lot of people look for the gen 1 and 2 guns because they don't want a rail. I'd look to get a new gun and sell the old one before I went that route, but I'd be far more likely to just buy a new gun.

KevH
10-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Hi Dave! I didn't realize you found this site.

Yes, I have actually seen one in person.

They are not a viable solution. If you want a light on a Glock buy a Gen3 or Gen4 gun. Leave Gen1 and Gen2 guns alone. A lot of folks (me included) love the Gen2.

One issue is that these bolt on mounts don't fit Safariland and other holsters well. The other issue is that the Glock's dustcover flexes during recoil (absorbing some of it) and that by bolting a piece of metal into the frame you prevent this flex and transfer all recoil impulse into the recoil spring and locking block. While it doesn't sound like a problem it is a big one. It leads to a very short service life for GSA's and broken locking block pins. It also leads to lots of failures to feed.

These little bolt on rails for Gen1/Gen2 Glocks sound great in theory but they just don't work.

The only real light option that seemed to work reasonably well on the Glock Gen1/Gen2 guns was the Surefire M111C which bolted to the trigger guard. Even those caused the occasional hiccup though.

Dave Berryhill
10-21-2013, 10:24 AM
A lot of people look for the gen 1 and 2 guns because they don't want a rail. I'd look to get a new gun and sell the old one before I went that route, but I'd be far more likely to just buy a new gun.

Thanks guys - Personally, I prefer the Gen 2 pistols without a rail (My Glock 19 has a bazillion rounds through it and is still going strong) but I was looking for info in case customers asked about this as a possible upgrade. It sounds like sending the frame to Glock for a swap or just buying a new pistol is a better option.

Kevin - yes, my first thought was that bolting the rail on would reduce flexing but I guess that isn't necessarily a good thing.

Chuck Haggard
10-21-2013, 11:18 AM
You can often buy just the frame for a Glock, and then one could sell off the gen 1 or 2 lower, likely make money on the deal from the right person.