PDA

View Full Version : I need some training advice

gravitysuksv15
10-18-2013, 07:52 AM
I need some advice. I am a long time shooter (pistols, shotguns and rifles) but I have recently joined the ranks of IDPA match shooting. I spend a couple of hours a week dry fire practicing (pistol) in the apartment, and generally, shoot at the range every weekend (dividing my time between types of firearms). The 2 ranges that I go for pistol shooting are crowded and one is an indoor range. I am starting a training journal this week with one of my goals to complete the DotW starting with week one and running all the way through.

Now to the advice part:

Several of the DotW require multiple targets, some at different ranges. The ranges I shoot at are the bowling alley style where I am limited to the one target backing (I have, in the past, stapled multiple paper plates to the backer to give me some transitions). What are some other ways that I can replicate the intent of the DotW while limited to the bowling alley style range?

Many of the DotW and much of the training advice that I have found rely on a timer to track progress. Will a timer work at an indoor range with multiple shooters firing randomly around me? If so, what is the best timer to get without having to tap into the 401k account?

Thanks for the help

ToddG
10-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Adapting drills to your circumstances just needs to be part of the learning process. The majority of DotW's are doable on a single indoor lane. Ask me how I know. :cool:

For timers, the best I've found for indoor use on a public range is the Pocket Pro II. I use mine at the NRA all the time.

PPGMD
10-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Todd have you seen this timer:

http://www.doublealpha.biz/shotmaxx-shot-timer.htm

It is designed specifically for busy environments like indoor ranges.

ToddG
10-19-2013, 07:37 AM

Had not. Will get. Thanks!

NETim
10-19-2013, 08:29 AM

http://www.doublealpha.biz/shotmaxx-shot-timer.htm

It is designed specifically for busy environments like indoor ranges.

Yo! Santa! You listenin'?

JAD
10-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Had not. Will get. Thanks!

That thing is shiny. Todd, would you please do a review?

taadski
10-20-2013, 03:15 PM
The ranges I shoot at are the bowling alley style where I am limited to the one target backing (I have, in the past, stapled multiple paper plates to the backer to give me some transitions). What are some other ways that I can replicate the intent of the DotW while limited to the bowling alley style range?

As alluded to above, you can accomplish quite a bit on a single backer. Explore multiple target shapes and sizes to accomplish working the same general skills if you're unable to exactly replicate the drill. You're only limited by your own imagination.

I use cardboard cutouts and a rattle can a lot to simplify things. They work very well on a variety of mediums too from your typical cardboard to steel, etc... depending on what you have available.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/photo_zps6e189c85.jpg

t

gravitysuksv15
10-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Excellent, Thanks for the advice. I have noticed that many of the DotW have downloadable target sheets. And the timer recommendations look good. I am looking forward to increasing my practice time and range time and I think your input will help.
Thanks again.