PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry Belt

BigBoss0311
10-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Howdy, I am currently looking at 2 different belts. The HTC Low Pro Belt and the Galco SB3. Does anyone have any experience with either of these belts? Thanks!

Rich
10-18-2013, 06:56 AM
No experience with the above belts. I've been a Wilderness guy since 1999.
I happen to like there plain 5 stitch belt with No Insert.
I think the belt will outlast me.
99% carry IWB so I didn't choose to get the plastic insert. Belt is still stiff.

BigBoss0311
10-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Hmm, can't edit the original thread for some reason.....

I guess I should have said, I will be carrying AIWB, holster is by TT Gunleather. I will check wilderness out, I am looking for a leather belt that does not look tactical.

Casual Friday
10-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Comptac or The Beltman for leather belts is my recommendation. Wilderness for web belts.

Chieftain
10-18-2013, 09:00 PM
I have been using the Wilderness five stitch belts since the mid 80's. I have used them for my Milt Sparks VMIIs Kramer horsehide 11/2's and all my OWB holsters too. Now that I am retired, it is all that I wear. I recommend them.

Good luck.

Fred

JodyH
10-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Leather you say?
Saddleback Leather (http://www.saddlebackleather.com) 1.5" Tow belt is what you want.

Here's mine after a few years of daily use. I really need to order a smaller one after I lost about 4" off my waist.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/20130927_153143_zps63c2bcf7.jpg

/THREAD

BigBoss0311
10-19-2013, 05:05 AM
Jody that looks nice, even the same pistol I will be carrying. I will take a look at them, looking around they have many positive reviews. I am currently a 34" waist. I was planning to order a 38" belt, is this large enough for my needs? When ordering a belt, how many inches do you add for the pistol? Thanks again for the replies.

JodyH
10-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Order a 34" at most. I'm a 32" waist and the belt pictured is a 34" with 1" cut off from the buckle end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

JSGlock34
10-19-2013, 09:53 AM
My preference runs to the synthetic belts, and I wore Wilderness Instructor (http://www.thewilderness.com/tactical-belts/original-instructor-belt/) 5 stitch belts for years. I tend to steer new shooter's to Wilderness when they ask for a belt recommendation, and everyone should have one of these in the closet. I still have several, and they are terrific belts.

More recently I added a pair of Talon Tactical (http://www.talontactical.com/cobra-buckle-belt-p-1125.html) belts to my closet, and I've found the Cobra buckle more useful for me on a daily basis than the Wilderness belt's D-ring.

That said, I've had a pair of Galco SB3 leather belts for 10+ years now. They've proven durable, stiff and still good looking despite years of use (albeit not daily). They're a good choice among affordable, mass produced leather belts.

JodyH
10-19-2013, 10:19 AM
I hate Wilderness style nylon belts.
The velcro gets ratty, the belt gets ratty and frayed, they're hot and the thin profile cuts into my hips.
The infinite adjustment just ends up being inconsistently uncomfortable where my leather belts with fixed adjustment end up curved and molded to fit me.
I'm also not a fan of the "tactical nylon" look, it clashes with my Doc Martens, T-shirts and jeans.
:cool:

ToddG
10-19-2013, 10:23 AM
I've been using Wilderness belts for years now and can't believe I ever settled for leather.

Having said that, I still don't get the benefit that is supposed to come from these cobra buckles. It seems like they just add complication to the design.

Up1911Fan
10-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Unless my shirt is tucked in i'm wearing a Volund Gearworks Atlas belt. Super low profile buckle, best belt i've found for AIWB carry.

JodyH
10-19-2013, 11:29 AM
I've been using Wilderness belts for years now and can't believe I ever settled for leather.
I have noticed that those who have more hip padding and less fashion sense do gravitate towards nylon belts...
:p

ToddG
10-19-2013, 01:09 PM
I have noticed that those who have more hip padding and less fashion sense do gravitate towards nylon belts...
:p

I definitely qualify on both counts.

BigBoss0311
10-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Leather is the only option as I will be wearing these for work as well. Business casual and business attire only at my job. Black or dark brown leather only. So when picking the belt size I need to pick the one that is a couple inches above my pant size? Thanks for all your advice.

JSGlock34
10-19-2013, 02:03 PM
I can't get terribly excited about belts. As I said, I've used the Wilderness belts for at least a decade, as well as the Galco leather belts. I don't find the nylon of either the Wilderness or the Talon Tactical belt uncomfortable, but I draw the line at the various super stiff belts made of SCUBA webbing. Those just cut right into my hips.

My Talon goes on just like the Wilderness belt, but I have the Cobra option if I need to unbuckle during the course of the day. It's hardly revolutionary, but I think the Cobra has more utility for me than the Wilderness buckle, as I haven't rappelled off anything in over 10 years. I also like having the ability to attach and remove my holster without removing the belt for a variety of reasons (using the RCS QMS), and I've found the Cobra belt easier to use in this regard than the Wilderness.

JSGlock34
10-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Leather is the only option as I will be wearing these for work as well. Business casual and business attire only at my job. Black or dark brown leather only. So when picking the belt size I need to pick the one that is a couple inches above my pant size? Thanks for all your advice.

Honestly, I think it will depend on the belt. Some of my belts are sized true to my waist, while others are a bit longer. My SB3s are a size up.

TGS
10-19-2013, 02:37 PM
So when picking the belt size I need to pick the one that is a couple inches above my pant size? Thanks for all your advice.

This is something that needs to be addressed with each individual maker, and unsurprisingly most all of them have instructions on how to measure for their belt. Follow their specific instructions, as they are not universal between all makers.

A general rule-of-thumb is that a gunbelt will need to be 2" longer than a standard one. Again, this is something most makers will address with their ordering instructions.

I suggest a 7-hole design made of horsehide. Stay away from belts with kydex added as an internal stiffener, as it 1) means they are using crappy methods/materials in the first place which the kydex is suppose to compensate for, and 2) the kydex can break over time and cut through the belt.

I find my Beltman to be okay for everyday wear, and has been holding up well to such. I bought an AG Custom for my suit, but the finish is subpar for a dress belt.

For the ultimate leather belt of superlative quality, I suggest JR Customs. (http://jrcholsters.com/accessories/custom-belts)

Kobalt60
10-19-2013, 07:27 PM
I have a few belts that are pretty good. The Galco SB3 is a good dress belt, whether carrying or not. I've worn one 4 days a week for over a year and haven't scratched the finish on it yet despite all the crap I hang off of it. That's something for a shiny dress belt that looks good with a suit. I've wrecked many dress belts in far less time.

I also have a Viking Tactics Cobra belt in Coyote brown as my entry in the tacticool category. I use it with my competition rig and occasionally with jeans. I haven't had it but a couple of months, but it is nice for the money. The cobra buckle lets me take everything off and put it back on without adjusting the tension of the belt. Since I used to be someone who might need to get dressed, with kit, in a big ass hurry this thing would have been a big help.

Yesterday I got my tow belt from Saddleback. While they sent me tan (Tobacco Brown) when I ordered black and will be sending it back as soon as practical, that hasn't stopped me from wearing it all weekend. I've got to agree that it's pretty sweet and carries the weight of a pistol effortlessly. It's thicker than say, the SB3 though, so normal stuff that's made to clip onto regular belt will probably choke on it. My Blackberry holster and clip-on badge lanyard from the office aren't compatible. Neither is the spare mag holster from JM Kydex, although I'm going to try loosening the adjustment screw and trying it again.

breakingtime91
10-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Jody what holster is that in your pic?

Up1911Fan
10-19-2013, 09:53 PM
I have a few belts that are pretty good. The Galco SB3 is a good dress belt, whether carrying or not. I've worn one 4 days a week for over a year and haven't scratched the finish on it yet despite all the crap I hang off of it. That's something for a shiny dress belt that looks good with a suit. I've wrecked many dress belts in far less time.

I also have a Viking Tactics Cobra belt in Coyote brown as my entry in the tacticool category. I use it with my competition rig and occasionally with jeans. I haven't had it but a couple of months, but it is nice for the money. The cobra buckle lets me take everything off and put it back on without adjusting the tension of the belt. Since I used to be someone who might need to get dressed, with kit, in a big ass hurry this thing would have been a big help.

Yesterday I got my tow belt from Saddleback. While they sent me tan (Tobacco Brown) when I ordered black and will be sending it back as soon as practical, that hasn't stopped me from wearing it all weekend. I've got to agree that it's pretty sweet and carries the weight of a pistol effortlessly. It's thicker than say, the SB3 though, so normal stuff that's made to clip onto regular belt will probably choke on it. My Blackberry holster and clip-on badge lanyard from the office aren't compatible. Neither is the spare mag holster from JM Kydex, although I'm going to try loosening the adjustment screw and trying it again.

Which version JM mag pouch? I've been thinking about getting a Saddleback belt but use JM Version 2 mag pouches.

Kobalt60
10-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Which version JM mag pouch? I've been thinking about getting a Saddleback belt but use JM Version 2 mag pouches.

The v2, 1.5 in.

I just tried it again but loosening the adjustment screw on the clip and it's real snug but it did slide on. I'm just a little concerned that the screw is going to work its way out now. I guess you can loosen it up enough to get it on and then tighten it down and lock it in, but that means you'll need a screwdriver to take the belt off your pants... I've got some lock tight somewhere I'm probably going to resort to.

Up1911Fan
10-19-2013, 11:32 PM
The v2, 1.5 in.

I just tried it again but loosening the adjustment screw on the clip and it's real snug but it did slide on. I'm just a little concerned that the screw is going to work its way out now. I guess you can loosen it up enough to get it on and then tighten it down and lock it in, but that means you'll need a screwdriver to take the belt off your pants... I've got some lock tight somewhere I'm probably going to resort to.

Thanks.

JodyH
10-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Jody what holster is that in your pic?
Kolbeson Texas Comfort in horsehide

ADKilla
10-20-2013, 09:56 AM
After playing with nylon for a couple years I recently returned to leather. It just seems to pull things in a bit better and looks better all around. Recommend Beltman's holster in elephant.

reilly8282
10-20-2013, 12:53 PM
I have a JRC holster and belt, as well as a JM custom holster both in aiwb. I have to add that the JM does not fit the leather very well because of the thickness of the belt. I have a cheap nylon that I wear for the JM kydex that does the trick until I order a wilderness belt. The only thing I have found about leather is it is hit or miss with tension. It is not as forgiving as nylon on those days you need another belt hole in between the originals to be a little more snug, or after a thanksgiving meal where you could use a half hole bigger. That being said I wear the nylon daily, and save my leather goods for those dress days or events. Either way a belt of quality either one you order will surprise you in ccw support as a necessity.

Kobalt60
10-20-2013, 01:36 PM
I have a JRC holster and belt, as well as a JM custom holster both in aiwb. I have to add that the JM does not fit the leather very well because of the thickness of the belt. I have a cheap nylon that I wear for the JM kydex that does the trick until I order a wilderness belt. The only thing I have found about leather is it is hit or miss with tension. It is not as forgiving as nylon on those days you need another belt hole in between the originals to be a little more snug, or after a thanksgiving meal where you could use a half hole bigger. That being said I wear the nylon daily, and save my leather goods for those dress days or events. Either way a belt of quality either one you order will surprise you in ccw support as a necessity.

My JM AIWB holster fits the tow belt fine, although I have the soft loops and needed to back them out to the 1.75" setting. I prefer this to an overly generous mounting solution that's unstable around thinner belts like my Galco SB3.

punkey71
10-20-2013, 01:45 PM
If you order a new belt attachment from JM just put a note to make it a little thicker to accommodate the thicker belts.

You can also dip the kydex loop in very hot/boiling water for a few seconds and work the opening a little wider to accommodate the belt.

I've done both of the above with success.

Harold

. I have to add that the JM does not fit the leather very well because of the thickness of the belt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Clyde from Carolina
10-20-2013, 04:25 PM
I have always liked the less tactical looking leather belts, but when I'm carrying IWB and especially appendix it is pretty moot as a covering garment usually covers the belt as well as the gun. I've been carrying more lately in NPE situations so I am using a lot more belly bands and tuck-able holsters these days. I am a fan of Wilderness five stitch belts and have both frequent flyer and regular models and they are my favorite for when when I go nylon.

As a lover of well-made, functional, and beautiful gear, I may have to add a Saddleback belt to my stash. I have a front pocket wallet of theirs and the quality and CS is incredible.

Crews
10-20-2013, 08:16 PM
I really like my belt from A Better Belt. Reasonable prices, very nice supportive belt, competitive pricing.

http://www.abetterbeltusa.com/

BigBoss0311
10-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Thank you to all who replied, appreciate all the help and knowledge given.