PDA

View Full Version : Badly wounded soldier salutes officer when presented w/ Purple Heart in hospital...

BaiHu
10-16-2013, 09:00 AM
His commander described it as the single greatest event he has ever witnessed in his ten years in the Army.
A seriously wounded soldier believed to be unconscious who fought hospital tubes, bandages and a doctor trying to hold him down, to salute his senior during a bedside ceremony, has been hailed as an inspiration to the nation.
Josh Hargis, of the 3rd Ranger Battalion, underwent extensive surgery in a military hospital in Afghanistan after a suicide bomber detonated, killing four of his comrades according to reports.

But to everyone's complete surprise Hargis, who was thought to be still unconscious post surgery, raised his right hand to salute his commander.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2462899/Mettle-honor-Seriously-wounded-soldier-defies-doctors-searing-pain-salute-commanding-officer-presented-Purple-Heart-medal-hospital.html#ixzz2htS0yzzO
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

JFK
10-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Juxtapose this to the story about the teacher suing under ADA rules.

People talk about how our country is divided. Most think that it is along political lines, or ideologies. I am starting to think that this county is divided by those who have honor, and those who do not.

The great thing about those who have honor, is you can never take it away.

BaiHu
10-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Well said.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

fixer
10-16-2013, 12:03 PM

People talk about how our country is divided. Most think that it is along political lines, or ideologies. I am starting to think that this county is divided by those who have honor, and those who do not.

Absolutely well said.

Totem Polar
10-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Agreed.

SeriousStudent
10-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Rangers truly do lead the way. I hope and pray he and his fellow Rangers make a full recovery from their injuries.

The news story mentioned he was being evac'd from Germany to Texas. If he's in BAMC, it would be a privilege to pay him a visit.

Shellback
10-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks for bringing such an inspirational story to my/our attention BaiHu. I think JFK nailed it in his post. Prayers sent for a speedy recovery!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/16/article-2462899-18C6EC0100000578-723_308x456.jpg

SeriousStudent
10-16-2013, 08:24 PM
I found this story: http://www.kens5.com/home/Injured-solider--228060381.html

He will be in San Antonio at Brooke Army Medical Center. A holiday visit from well-wishers sounds like a great idea.

will_1400
10-16-2013, 10:45 PM

I find that as time goes on, those who are without honor outnumber those that have honor. Depressing observation since this comes from me being only 25 years old.

Kevin B.
10-17-2013, 02:26 AM
He will be in San Antonio at Brooke Army Medical Center. A holiday visit from well-wishers sounds like a great idea.

I would exercise some caution. I spent 15 months recovering at BAMC. While support from well-wishers was appreciated, it was often intrusive. Coming back completely spent from an intense therapy session and having a stranger pop into your room for a visit was not uncommon. There was frequently a revolving door of celebrities, VIPs and civic organizations coming through the hospital for visits during some of the patients' most vulnerable times, with no regard for the patient's privacy. While the gesture was always appreciated, the timing usually was not, nor was having a visit forced on you.

My recommendation would be to contact the family through either the Warrior Transition Battalion or hospital and see if the family is amenable to a visit.

For those inclined to make a donation, the Fisher House and Special Operations Warrior Foundation are two charities that do a great deal for the wounded and their families.

Odin Bravo One
10-17-2013, 02:29 AM
Thanks for bringing such an inspirational story to my/our attention BaiHu. I think JFK nailed it in his post. Prayers sent for a speedy recovery!

When the rest of the story comes out, the English Language will struggle to find the words to convey the appropriate meaning..........

JHC
10-17-2013, 07:05 AM
When the rest of the story comes out, the English Language will struggle to find the words to convey the appropriate meaning..........

Wow. I heard his dad interviewed about the young man on FoxNews this morning. He was so proud. I could not watch it with dry eyes.

NickA
10-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Per local news he's at SAMMC:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/military/article/GI-in-viral-salute-photo-recovering-at-SAMMC-4900834.php

He chose to come here over Walter Reed because his sister is a medic at Ft. Sam Houston, which is right next door. Between the SAMMC folks and sister I'd say he's in good hands :D

SeriousStudent
10-17-2013, 07:07 PM
I would exercise some caution. I spent 15 months recovering at BAMC. While support from well-wishers was appreciated, it was often intrusive. Coming back completely spent from an intense therapy session and having a stranger pop into your room for a visit was not uncommon. There was frequently a revolving door of celebrities, VIPs and civic organizations coming through the hospital for visits during some of the patients' most vulnerable times, with no regard for the patient's privacy. While the gesture was always appreciated, the timing usually was not, nor was having a visit forced on you.

My recommendation would be to contact the family through either the Warrior Transition Battalion or hospital and see if the family is amenable to a visit.

For those inclined to make a donation, the Fisher House and Special Operations Warrior Foundation are two charities that do a great deal for the wounded and their families.

Thank you very much for the wise advice, you are absolutely correct. I will follow your counsel.

And most of all, thank you for your service and your sacrifices. I hope you are fully recovered from your injuries.

I do agree with you about those charities, I have supported them for some time know. It's warms the heart, to read about the great work they do.

will_1400
10-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Wow. I heard his dad interviewed about the young man on FoxNews this morning. He was so proud. I could not watch it with dry eyes.

I shed a tiny smattering of manly tears myself.