PDA

View Full Version : Gen4 G21 ...... after swearing off Gen4 GLOCKs

VolGrad
05-25-2011, 05:44 PM
I got "the call" today from a somewhat local dealer they have rec'd their first batch of Gen4 G21s.

Having just sold a OD G34 (that I won in the first place) at an exorbitant profit on GunBroker and having sold the recently acquired HK P30 I couldn't resist at least being a GLOCK guinea pig for the Gen4 G21s. I hope it arrives tomorrow, Friday at the latest so I can start the "testing" phase this weekend.

When purchased at Armorer pricing it's not like I'll lose money if it sucks.

EDIT: Pics added.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/guns%20and%20gear/38f521c5.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/guns%20and%20gear/1f01ed8e.jpg

Kyle Reese
05-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Sweet. Keep us posted. :cool:

JHC
05-25-2011, 06:36 PM
That's awesome and is the first I've heard of actual guns on the street. I was an early adoptor of a Gen 4 G17 more than a year ago now and was rewarded with "perfection" ;). I hope you are likewise but either way, thanks for going beta on it.

Cannot wait to hear the reports hopefully good but good or bad.

VolGrad
05-26-2011, 04:18 PM
I picked up the Gen4 G21 this afternoon on the way home from work. I have to say it feels pretty good. I know it's basically a G21SF without the backstraps but I am surprised how good it feels given my small hands.

I talked with the dealer via PM today and he said if I picked it up today I might very well be the first civilian in the US to own one ... as in have mine in hand. They were the first dealers to receive them (yesterday) and all that have sold so far have been shipped.

Mine was test fired 5/24 (2 days ago). I plan to shoot it on Saturday. I'll report back then. Hoping for the best considering I am not really a fan of the Gen4 GLOCKs so far. This I couldn't resist trying though.

JV_
05-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Good Luck!!

JHC
05-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Late last year I grabbed up one of the dwindling RTF2 G21's although I don't shoot much .45 but it is really sweet. Accurate and relatively soft shooting. My fingers are longish and the orig G21 and G20 were manageable but the SF dimensions made a surprising difference to the favorable.

My original intent was to check out the RTF2 G21 for awhile and then flip it for a Gen4 G21 and get the crazy flat shooting benefits of the new RSA etc ;) - buoyed by my good fortune with Gen 4 G17's and 19's. In the meantime all the Gen 4 problem reports on the Net sort of tenderized me and now I'll sit back and watch for a spell.

VolGrad - do you have a Gen 3 G21 around to compare it with? I'm sure NGCSUgrad does. And I do and we're not that far apart so if you want to compare and contrast at some point, let me know.

VolGrad
05-26-2011, 04:49 PM
VolGrad - do you have a Gen 3 G21 around to compare it with? I'm sure NGCSUgrad does. And I do and we're not that far apart so if you want to compare and contrast at some point, let me know.
I have owned a couple of G21SFs in the past but it was always the first to go when I wanted something new so I don't have a Gen3 G21 of any flavor to compare with.

NGCSU does have a Gen3 G21 RTF and we will be doing some side-by-side comps as soon as our schedules align again. I invited him Saturday but he can't break away.

I plan to spend Monday on the range too so if you want to drive to Athens PM me and we can compare.

WDW
05-26-2011, 05:47 PM
I hate You:mad: I want one

VolGrad
05-26-2011, 05:55 PM
I hate You:mad: I want one

I know where you can get one. :p

JHC
05-26-2011, 07:16 PM
NGCSU does have a Gen3 G21 RTF and we will be doing some side-by-side comps as soon as our schedules align again. I invited him Saturday but he can't break away.

I plan to spend Monday on the range too so if you want to drive to Athens PM me and we can compare.

I buy all my stuff from the same place, our guns have probably been bunk mates. In fact that outlet has a smooth talker that got me to buy a 5" Model 10 I didn't need (but did want). Ahem!

Monday my son and I are shooting in the Memorial Day steel match (pistol) out at Creekside that is a fundraiser for a child of a Fallen Ranger. Tear it up.

VolGrad
05-26-2011, 07:26 PM
I saw Joe's post about the weekend matches. I am planning to stick close to home all weekend. I'm putting together a "skills drills" day for some shooting buddies with some drills we've done in recent classes ..... sort of a practice session, not a teaching session. The rest of my family is traveling as this is their first weekend out of school so I get to shoot as much as I want for the next week. I plan to make the most of it.

JHC
05-26-2011, 07:30 PM
uuuuuuurrrrrrgghhh sweeeeet cannndeeee

GJM
05-26-2011, 08:03 PM
I will be curious whether it beats up the inside of your dominant thumb. Yesterday, I put 250 full power 10mm Double Tap rounds through a G29SF (stock) and a G20 (Dane Burns grip reduction) before heading back to Alaska. By the end of the session, I had a small cut in the web of my thumb and some bruising. Sure wish they made a Grip Force Adapter for the large frame Glocks.

NGCSUGrad09
05-27-2011, 07:02 AM
I buy all my stuff from the same place, our guns have probably been bunk mates. In fact that outlet has a smooth talker that got me to buy a 5" Model 10 I didn't need (but did want). Ahem!

What? You know you wanted it... I was just doing my job.

JHC
05-27-2011, 08:05 AM
What? You know you wanted it... I was just doing my job.

:D Oh and it is the pick of the litter too. lol

Super J
05-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Congrats!! I'm looking out for your range review.

I got the call that Ed's Public Safety in GA has them in stock and I'm tempted to pick one up.

VolGrad
05-27-2011, 10:23 AM
I got the call that Ed's Public Safety in GA has them in stock and I'm tempted to pick one up.I got mine from Ed's. JHC is talking about a different shop though. I just managed to piece together where he is talking about.

Pasanova
05-27-2011, 12:24 PM
How's the trigger on the Gen4 21? Is it as heavy as the 17/22 Gen4's?

VolGrad
05-27-2011, 12:26 PM
How's the trigger on the Gen4 21? Is it as heavy as the 17/22 Gen4's?

It was a bit stiff out of the box but surprisingly pleasant, not at all gritty. I did put a (-) connector in it after playing with it for a bit. I didn't feel it was a must but I had it in my parts box so figured I might as well use it.

JHC
05-27-2011, 12:47 PM
It was a bit stiff out of the box but surprisingly pleasant, not at all gritty. I did put a (-) connector in it after playing with it for a bit. I didn't feel it was a must but I had it in my parts box so figured I might as well use it.

+1 we have minus connectors in all four of our Gen 4s. Great balance of a "street" and shootable trigger IMO.

With the 5.5 connector, I like the quality of it in a Gen 4 more but the quantity is just a bit much for best work.

VolGrad
05-28-2011, 03:00 PM
I shot the Gen4 G21 today a little and am quite pleased. I need a Gen3 to shoot side-by-side for recoil comparison. I'll try to do that as time permits.

I plan to shoot it more on Monday and will report back then. Today we started the day (6 of us) by running a few drills from previous classes as a practice session. We finished the day by running through the PCCA Classifier, unofficially. We just wanted to try it.

The Gen4 G21 shooting was wedged in between. A couple of the other guys ran a few mags through it and I think I ran maybe 9 mags. I am pleased to report ZERO malfunctions. That's a good start.

jlw
05-28-2011, 06:09 PM
I ran two mags through it. I shot a Gen3 a couple of weeks ago; so, I have a somewhat recent basis for comparison.

I must say upfront that I have not been a fan of the Gen pistols, but I am considering one of these 21SFS models. The Gen4 was a little easier for me to hold onto, but it is still a big pistol. I'd be using it pretty much strictly for IDPA CDP if I do get one.

Wheeler
05-28-2011, 10:26 PM
I got to shoot it as well. I like the trigger and it has a very positive reset. Accuracy was impressive as well. Personally, I did not like the grips, as I had a hard time holding the gun but a little grip tape would fix that to my preference. All in all a very nice blaster.

VolGrad
05-29-2011, 08:24 AM
I got to shoot it as well. I like the trigger and it has a very positive reset. Accuracy was impressive as well. Personally, I did not like the grips, as I had a hard time holding the gun but a little grip tape would fix that to my preference. All in all a very nice blaster.

Good point on the trigger Wheeler. The trigger was quite nice right out of the box. Better than any other Gen4 pistol I've handled. After putting the (-) connector in it the trigger felt even better. I think the reset feels and sounds more positive than any other GLOCK I've handled. I was standing behind Wheeler when he was shooting it and each time he reset the trigger it sounded like someone was snapping their fingers in my ear. I was prob 3 yards behind him. I know, I know you can generally hear a GLOCK reset from that distance if you are paying attention but I mean it was notably loud.

JHC
05-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Good point on the trigger Wheeler. The trigger was quite nice right out of the box. Better than any other Gen4 pistol I've handled. After putting the (-) connector in it the trigger felt even better. I think the reset feels and sounds more positive than any other GLOCK I've handled. I was standing behind Wheeler when he was shooting it and each time he reset the trigger it sounded like someone was snapping their fingers in my ear. I was prob 3 yards behind him. I know, I know you can generally hear a GLOCK reset from that distance if you are paying attention but I mean it was notably loud.

Indeed, both our Gen 4 19s and 17s came with very nice triggers. This led me to rave about them last year as firmer but smoother in stacking to a cleaner break than I was accustomed to from my other Glocks.

Today, with minus connectors in all four, they are easier to hit well with, but each subtley different. My primary G4 G19 has the cleanest break of the four which has enabled most of my best 50 and 100 yard hits with it, shorter sight radius notwithstanding.

VolGrad
05-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Fired prob another 150-200 through the G21 today. I did some slow fire, some multiple shot strings, and some mag dumps as fast as I could press the trigger ... all flawless. A year or two ago this would be expected but now ......

Despite it still being a pretty large pistol it feels good in my small hands. I turned in some decent groups and it shoots pretty soft. I do note I have to watch the placement of my support thumb though. I think someone previously mentioned this. I find my thumb wants to rest naturally right over the serrated slide stop, where it sticks out of the frame. I find I can pull my thumb back just a tad and not get bit.

I like it. I plan to run it as much as possible for a while to ensure reliability but as of now I am pleased. Pleased enough to order a set of real sights and a holster today.

Will keep this thread updated as time goes forward.

jlw
05-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Fired prob another 150-200 through the G21 today. I did some slow fire, some multiple shot strings, and some mag dumps as fast as I could press the trigger ... all flawless. A year or two ago this would be expected but now ......

Despite it still being a pretty large pistol it feels good in my small hands. I turned in some decent groups and it shoots pretty soft. I do note I have to watch the placement of my support thumb though. I think someone previously mentioned this. I find my thumb wants to rest naturally right over the serrated slide stop, where it sticks out of the frame. I find I can pull my thumb back just a tad and not get bit.

I like it. I plan to run it as much as possible for a while to ensure reliability but as of now I am pleased. Pleased enough to order a set of real sights and a holster today.

Will keep this thread updated as time goes forward.

Which holster did you order?

VolGrad
05-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Which holster did you order?

Going to get a PSH with TLR-1 OWB with snap loops in the thinner kydex.

JHC
05-30-2011, 03:06 PM
If you are looking for not real pricey holsters I really like the Talon Tactical A10 I got for my G21 for range work without dropping a lot of $$$. (about $50 from 400 store) And for 44.95 the FIST #1K really carries that G21 comfortably IWB. Not that I have yet CCW'd it but I wanted the option without going too pricey on a carry holster for it I may not use.

VolGrad
05-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks but I'm kind of set on my favorite holsters already. I do hear Mike (Talon Tactical) makes good gear though.

TheNewbie
05-30-2011, 04:06 PM
How does it feel in the hands compared to a G21SF? Is there any differance in grip size?

jlw
05-30-2011, 04:41 PM
If you are looking for not real pricey holsters I really like the Talon Tactical A10 I got for my G21 for range work without dropping a lot of $$$. (about $50 from 400 store) And for 44.95 the FIST #1K really carries that G21 comfortably IWB. Not that I have yet CCW'd it but I wanted the option without going too pricey on a carry holster for it I may not use.

I have what I believe is one of their IWB holsters. It's nicely done.

VolGrad
05-30-2011, 05:09 PM
How does it feel in the hands compared to a G21SF? Is there any differance in grip size?

I have owned a couple of G21SF's in the past. This feels a bit smaller. It might now be though because I know intuitively there is supposed to be not much/any diff between the Gen4 and the SF without backstraps installed. It could very well be it feels smaller/better because I've been shooting a 17 and 34 more lately. When I had the 21SFs in the past I was mostly shooting 19s.

jlw
05-30-2011, 05:16 PM

I recently shot a 21SF/3, and I shot Vol's new pistol on Saturday. It felt a little better in the hand to me than did the Gen3 model, but the Gen3 model had nothing to help with grip slippage.