PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Trace DS series

Chuck Haggard
10-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Anyone used one of these yet?; http://www.crimsontrace.com/products/manufacturer/smith-wesson/ds-124

I have 405s on my weak side pocket BUG, and 305s on my ankle gun (both 642s). The 305s are too grabby for a smooth draw from the pocket, and the 405s keep falling apart on me due to the rubber backstrap breaking loose from the hard plastic portion of the grips, so this new grip looked like it might work.

Chuck Whitlock
10-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Saw them on the shelf at a range in Lincoln, but no experience out of the wrapper.
Price is much easier on the wallet, but I'm hesitant about having to break the firing grip for activation.

Chuck Haggard
10-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Saw them on the shelf at a range in Lincoln, but no experience out of the wrapper.
Price is much easier on the wallet, but I'm hesitant about having to break the firing grip for activation.

The upside for me would be this would be my weak hand/left side pocket gun on my BUG, I run my left thumb on top of the laser bump on my 305s and 405s, helps with the recoil control when one handed shooting.

SeriousStudent
10-14-2013, 07:11 PM
With the longer grip, do you think you would encounter issues clearing a pocket during the draw? I honestly don't know.

I always have a 642 in my left pocket, and are interested for the same reasons as you.

Chuck Haggard
10-14-2013, 07:49 PM
With the longer grip, do you think you would encounter issues clearing a pocket during the draw? I honestly don't know.

I always have a 642 in my left pocket, and are interested for the same reasons as you.

Shouldn't, my hands are plenty big, thus part of my problem. Getting between the grip and the pocket is where I get hung up with the 305s. The angle on the DS grips looks conducive to a pocket draw.

SeriousStudent
10-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Thank you, I may get a set and try them.

Chuck Haggard
10-14-2013, 10:20 PM
As long as you know I am theorizing right now, haven't even handled a set in person yet.

SeriousStudent
10-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Understood. If I can get them for maybe $110 or so shipped, it's worth a try. I have a friend that has a Taurus 85 that these would fit, if it does not seem to work for my 642. Her carry method would make these grips workable, if they are not optimal for me.

Rich
10-15-2013, 09:23 AM
The upside for me would be this would be my weak hand/left side pocket gun on my BUG, I run my left thumb on top of the laser bump on my 305s and 405s, helps with the recoil control when one handed shooting.

Same here.

Looks as if the laser is sticking out further? could be a good thing for me.

I played with a 642 with 305 at GS and notice my hand would / could block out the laser beam.

I just hate shooting the 642 with boot grips and would love to find a 3 finger grip that works well in front pocket of cargo shorts

Chuck Whitlock
10-15-2013, 05:33 PM

After posting it occurred to me that LH should work out nicely.

SeriousStudent
10-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Duh, double-tap. :(

Chuck Haggard
10-15-2013, 09:09 PM
I just hate shooting the 642 with boot grips and would love to find a 3 finger grip that works well in front pocket of cargo shorts

I can't run a J frame at all with the boot grips, too much hand, not enough gun to hold on to, I can't even run the trigger correctly.